Number 7 Modified From Meyer speedway

jakdad

Somebody posted here in the last few days that they had bought the 7 car that Bill Blumerick drove in the 60s. The car was black with a white whale on it and Frizell Pontiac as the sponsor. I wanted to get some background on where the car might be today.

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

In the "pics of Red's # 3 Super" section, the 2nd late '30s modified coupe bodied Modified Stock Car # 57 pictured with Munson Stodder sitting on the LF tire, strongly resembles the # 7 Modified Stock Car that was black and white and driven by Bill Blumrick from about '63 thru '66. Possibly, Bill drove the # 7 Car later, but after '66 I am out of memory regarding that # 7 Car. Like I said, strongly resembles, but I really don't know or remember if it is the same car or not.

Well a lot of those old cars looked similar. Here's A pic of Cowboy's car. Slick little car but they all had the look of that era. What I'm trying to say is that by the time a car changes owners and gets back to the track next season, subtle changes can be made and still have a similar appearance. A car that didn't have a grill shell last year could have one this year, etc, etc.

post-4772-1199329433_thumb.jpg

Yeah Jim, those '60s era Houston Modifieds were like twins. Some were identical, but some were not. The bodywork on the # 33 Car looks very good and consistent. But speaking of grills, uh, oh well. I'm sure as time went on, replacement parts became very hard to find.

• 1 month later...

Yep, Bill drove the wheels off that car. The Pontiac engine was strong and reliable save the occasional blown engine we all had to deal with. I think the car wound up at the dirt track but would like more detail.

In the "pics of Red's # 3 Super" section, the 2nd late '30s modified coupe bodied Modified Stock Car # 57 pictured with Munson Stodder sitting on the LF tire, strongly resembles the # 7 Modified Stock Car that was black and white and driven by Bill Blumrick from about '63 thru '66. Possibly, Bill drove the # 7 Car later, but after '66 I am out of memory regarding that # 7 Car. Like I said, strongly resembles, but I really don't know or remember if it is the same car or not.

Hey guys,

The last time I saw the #7 Modified it was parked behind the main grand stand or front stretch at Meyers. It was parked next to a tin building and I was told back then that Ed Hamblin had bought the car? Don't know if that was true or not however, it looked as though it was retired. That was 1969-70. I recall Bill Blumrick driving a Blue Modified #7 in 1967. The following season ( if it was the same modified ) it had been painted Black and White with the same Whale on the back for the 1968 season.

Munson Stodder's number 57 car later belonged to Danny Bolton who raced the car under the number 10. Don't know if it belonged to anyone in between time. Below is a picture of old #57 after it was owned by Bolton. Here you will see Danny, and his wife posing with the car. The photos were courtesy of Danny Bolton but think the photos were made in the early 70's. Note the dirt tires on the car in one photo. Also note the holes that had been drilled in the rear of the body to reduce wind drag. If I am correct, the holes were drilled when Munson drove the car.

Danny tells me the car was the old Munson Stodder car.

There is no clue as to where either car is to my knowledge today.

I was once told by Charlie Schild at a shop visit that his old #1 Modified was rusting down in some field after Jimmy Willis had bought and drove the car in the latter 60's. Don't know if it still belonged to Jimmy Willis at that time or not.

I wish someone could find one of those great cars and bring them back to life once again.

Enjoy the memories..

post-8338-1202357140_thumb.jpg post-8338-1202357208_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine said the car stayed in the shed at Meyer for quite some time. He had gone by several years after racing was over. He thought it was abandoned and thought about removing it himself after efforts to contact anyone from the track failed. Legend has it that a young man that worked at the track was given the car for his efforts. I don't know who bought the car but looked like it was OK to store it at the track, long term. The engine and trans had been removed shortly after racing ended for this class.

Midget85,

Looking closely at the two late 30s modified coupe bodied Modified # 57 Car pictures with the late Munson Stodder III, it looks to me like two different cars. The one with orange numbers and Munson squatting on the right side, appears to be the car from '66. The one with Munson sitting on the left front tire with black numbers, looks to me like a later car. Both pictures appear to be of cars raced previously by other teams, and different numbers and paint schemes. The numbers in black car looks to me in that picture, quite similiar to the former black & white # 7 Modified driven by the late Bill Blumrick. Just curiousty, but I just didn't remember a second coupe bodied Modified # 57. I do remember the later Modified that was built by the Stodder team, but just not a second coupe. I'm kinda out of touch these days, if I was ever in touch, but I know Roger Stodder was racing a few years back. However, I don't know about now. Some of those old coupes were built with shared plans/measurements and were almost identical, but most had noticeable differences. I have a keen interest in the history of those 60s era Modifieds, and the earlier 50s era Houston Modifieds as well. I wonder if there is any information regarding the original building of the Danny Bolton # 10 Modified? Appreciate your input.

• 2 years later...
Somebody posted here in the last few days that they had bought the 7 car that Bill Blumerick drove in the 60s. The car was black with a white whale on it and Frizell Pontiac as the sponsor. I wanted to get some background on where the car might be today.

Thanks,

Jim

I came across this forum the other day and man it was a great find! Unfortunately, I am the bearer of bad news. Grandaddy (Bill Blumrick) located his old #7 car in the late 90's and thought about restoring it into a show car. When he went to look at it, there wasn't much left. It was "parked" uncovered behind a building on a lot in Houston. The body was pretty much gone and what was left of it couldn't be salvaged. The frame and rear end were in bad shape as well. So, in the end, it would have taken just taken way too much to get it into any kind of decent condition. I'll try and get some pictures posted of it when I get a chance. Until then, enjoy this youtube video of Meyer Speedway, Grandaddy, Joe Plowman and others.

Chad Blumrick

The old saying goes we don't realize what we had till it's gone..

Would like to see the remains of the car anyway. With what I know about restorations, nothing is impossible to fix. Just a matter of how much time and money a person wants to put into it.

In the classic car world, it's a matter of getting it done.

SONATA_VOLUME-260.jpg

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-32-1.jpg

Here's Phil who always had a cool tow rig setup, no matter what he drove.

SONATA_VOLUME-244.jpg

And here comes the Gambler

SONATA_VOLUME-249.jpg

Nice shot of the right rear

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-22-1.jpg

Someone mention this shot earlier

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-37.jpg

Phil again

SONATA_VOLUME-53-2.jpg

Ronnie and crew over at the tire shop, even his numbers looked fast....

• 3 weeks later...
I came across this forum the other day and man it was a great find! Unfortunately, I am the bearer of bad news. Grandaddy (Bill Blumrick) located his old #7 car in the late 90's and thought about restoring it into a show car. When he went to look at it, there wasn't much left. It was "parked" uncovered behind a building on a lot in Houston. The body was pretty much gone and what was left of it couldn't be salvaged. The frame and rear end were in bad shape as well. So, in the end, it would have taken just taken way too much to get it into any kind of decent condition. I'll try and get some pictures posted of it when I get a chance. Until then, enjoy this youtube video of Meyer Speedway, Grandaddy, Joe Plowman and others.

Chad Blumrick

Hi Chad, I just called a friend of mine who had the car parked behind his (dad's) house for years (this is late 60's), Greg Davidson. I remembered the car and he confirmed that it was that one. He didn't know the exact story but it had something to do with his cousin Robbie Davidson and a bronco racer named Dave Wright as far as where it went after there.

I think I worked with a cousin of your granddad's Willy Blumerich, a mechanic at Marcus Jones Buick.

Anyway I did crawl into that 7 car a few times to try it on for size lol.

Robert Hooper

• 2 years later...
SONATA_VOLUME-260.jpg

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-32-1.jpg

Here's Phil who always had a cool tow rig setup, no matter what he drove.

SONATA_VOLUME-244.jpg

And here comes the Gambler

SONATA_VOLUME-249.jpg

Nice shot of the right rear

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-22-1.jpg

Someone mention this shot earlier

HOUSTON_SPEEDWAYS-37.jpg

Phil again

SONATA_VOLUME-53-2.jpg

Ronnie and crew over at the tire shop, even his numbers looked fast....

in this post the blue and yellow54 and blue and silver 54 cars were built and owned by Red Garner my dad. He had a coulpe of different drivers (Phil Cronin, Tony Barcelona and Munson Stodder) there were a few others I just cannot remember all of them.

Archived