Old SAS pic -- What year?

NickHolt

Look at where the steps are to the top. I believe since atleast 89 those steps have came up from the rear.

The walls are solid white. I believe they were red and white since atleast 89.

I know for a fact that the old press box came down in early 1989. I posted a pic of that event in another recent thread (http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21141). That photo was taken by Al Guzman, my fellow journalist at the SA Light on January 10, 1989. So, it can't be earlier than 1989.

And as I recall, once the steps to the roof (shown in the full grandstands pic above) were removed, they were not replace so there was no longer a way up to the roof. People had to video from the 1st floor roof (on the right side) after that. So, I'd place this pic in the early 90's, or at the earliest in 1989.

Nick

It was easy to pick out my friends and myself in that picture.Top row.....second group standing up to the right of the press box....there were about 7 or 8 of us.Those days are greatly missed.Big,fast,race track with very exciting battles on it.If the place isn't haunted by many racing ghosts...it should be.

Regarding the picture taken at San Antonio Speedway and shown earlier in this topic, I don't know when it was taken. However, that is the type of large crowd at which a TIDA-LM & TIDA Pro Sedan event did frequently attract to SAS.

I do know the picture wasn't taken at a TIDA event in 1990 or 1991. That was the period when TIDA was boycotting Frank Howell over his low purse offer to TIDA. We did our racing at about eight other southwest tracks throughout 1990 and 1991.

Speaking of Frank Howell, he did build the two story improved VIP Suite and Scoring and Announcers booth when he was on his first ownership. As Nick pointed out, the steps up to the top level were later removed. I don't recall when.

Neil Upchurch

Former President & Race Director

TIDA Late Model & Pro Sedan Series

Archived