Early '60s Yellow Roadster Modified/Super Modified Race Car # 2

RETrott

I never heard that before Buddy. My only information is already posted on this site. It was told to me that the car was built by Tony Foyt for Billy Wade to race as a Roadster Modified in '60. The Roadsters raced that year at Meyer Spdwy/Houston on Thursday nights. The Saturday night Modified & Stock Car races were still being held at Playland Spdwy. I was about 13 at the time and was unable to attend any Roadster events, but knew about them. In any event, that "twin" story is quite surprising.

Yeah, it surprised me too. Danny Burke was the primary builder I am told, and apparently somewhere in the process Tony was also involved. But you know how racecars get built then and now ............ before its all said and done there are usually quite a few folks involved before they ever make it to the track.

BillWhite2.jpg

BillWhite3.jpg

BillWhite4.jpg

BillWhite5.jpg

Is that somthing flying off of the 2 car in the last pic? Maybe Bill ran over somthing. I can't make it out.

He was and is very special ................. a one of a kind, that's for sure! :)

I had the honor and privilege to sit with Bill and Txtom in the stands at THR last year at the USAC midget race held there. His son Paul was running that race. We got the opportunity to talk a little about racing back then and that car. What fun!

I know what you mean. I raced with him up at Oak Hill, 1/4 dirt track outside of Austin. Never had so much fun in my life. Bill is a real pleasure to be around.

• 3 weeks later...
I think you're dead nuts on, that is the same car painted up with the "6" and taped up "16" Look at the spacing on the front and rear radius rods, where they hand on the frame, identical. The front in is exact, even the bumper is dead nuts on, I just don't think that "one-off" could be replicated if you had too. I think we have a winner there with some serious history behind it. That chassis ran many a race, and most people saw mostly the rear end of it. Just can't think of that car without Wild Man behind the wheel, with those short sleeves rolled up tight and those Popeye forearms and tattoos blazing down the straightaways. Bill use to do things with that car that would just make you shake your head and go "Damn, what has he done to that thing, to make it handle as good as it does?" And sad part of the story is, I really don't think Bill ever used much more that a measuring tape and four wooden blocks to set a car up. He never gave a damn about balance, or cross, he just jumped in the damn thing and drove it to the front. One of the most amazing things I ever saw was Bill at the "Old" Devils Bowl with a bent front end dragging his front left radius rod and won the race one three wheels. Damndest thing I ever saw. Bill White was one of the best ever. If he had had USAC backing and was able to make the full circuit full time, there wouldn't have been a soul front coast to coast, that didn't feel the wrath of Wild Bill White.

Mr. MF Barnes. This the single best post I have ever read! You have said it all, and with a very clever play on the words "one off". I have a couple of stories that to add to this post about "Wild Bill" but it will take me some time to get posted. I will get going and see if I can't get through in the next day or so.

• 2 years later...
SONATA_VOLUME-16.jpg

Another uuuuuggggg........yellar car!

This car was built by Jackie Wooley and he ended getting hurt in it. It was then rebuilt and Phil Cronin drove it some as well as numerous others

This car was built by I believe Leon LaRose for my brother in law Bill Breshears. It was the protype of cars that Leon hoped to produce. (I'm not 100% sure it was Leon but who ever it was set up a shop to build them west of I-45 on or near 20th st.) Tube frame with an Edmonds glass body. It was driven at Myers by Jackie Woosley. It's shown here just minutes before it went over the wall ending Jackie racing career. It was never driven by Phil. He drove the 38 chevy coupe #58 that Bill Breshears owned.

post-11993-1269738777.jpg

Here is the same car after it was put back together and configured for dirt. Bill White and I (John McClellan) both drove it at Moody Clary in Navasota. Jimmy McKinzey drove it at Big-H

post-11993-1269738923.jpg

Archived