Early '60s Yellow Roadster Modified/Super Modified Race Car # 2

RETrott

I think several race fans on this forum would love to see some pictures of the # 2 Roadster Modified/Super Modified raced/driven by Billy Wade in '60 (and later ?), and raced/driven by Bill White in '63 (and before ?). This car is thought to be built by Danny Burke and/or Tony Foyt Sr. There are at least two pictures of this car posted from about '63, while being driven by Bill White in Austin/Speedorama, but more are needed.

Appears to be Bill White standing behind a Modified/Super Modified Car in the late 60s at Meyer Speedway/Houston with turn three in the background. I don't recall ever seeing Bill White drive the car pictured, but it is possibly the car that was driven by Jackie Woosley that was in a serious crash, that possibly also involved a car driven by Bill White, in/near Meyer Speedway turn two.

Appears to be Bill White standing behind a Modified/Super Modified Car in the late 60s at Meyer Speedway/Houston with turn three in the background. I don't recall ever seeing Bill White drive the car pictured, but it is possibly the car that was driven by Jackie Woosley that was in a serious crash that also involved a car driven by Bill White in/near Meyer Speedway turn two.

No bill never drove that car for sure, you can tell by the look on his face what he thought of it. The more I think about it the more I think it was that ugly yellow super Clyde Johnson drove. Clyde lived up around the WACO area I'm pretty sure. If T-Bird sees Bill again on his next trip to Temple he could ask him.

MF those pictures of Bill White in the # 2 "Super Modified" are awesome and bring back memories.

If I remember correctly for certain races the Supers could run fuel injection and I remember my dad always commenting about Bill White struggling with the injection system. This particular # 2 was always competitive when carburated but with the "FI" I cannot remember him being much of a factor. Does anyone else remember Bill Whites struggling with the FI?

ARE THOSE STACKS COOL OR WHAT!!!!

The # 8 car, I believe "Gordon" Wooley drove this car, the car was brand new and was awesome and was not ugly!

I think it was the first "Nance" car down here, Monogram or MPC had a 1/24 scale model of this car, it was white with black stripes, I built the model but if I recall the decal set was # 2.

Again from memory I seem to remember Wooley going over the wall at Meyer and getting hurt pretty bad, I cannot remember if it was at the hands of Ron Brashears or if that was another incedent, I need some help on this one. I remember Brashears(who normally drove Crazy 8's and stock cars) got in someones 427CI

Super Modified and essentially drove it up and under another car going into turn one and sent the other car over the wall. This could have been Jerry Mann's ex-A.J. Foyt sprinter that went for a ride, again someone help me on this.

A-Rocket,

Ron drove a what??? Got in someone's whaat???That's scaaary!!!

I don't know about Gordon Wooley, but Jackie Woosley had a crash at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in a Modified in about '68/'69 and was injured, and I believe had to quit racing. I think he crashed in the yellow # 8 car pictured, but I am not absolutely sure. I am also curious about ownership.

A-Rocket,

Ron drove a what??? Got in someone's whaat???That's scaaary!!!

I don't know about Gordon Wooley, but Jackie Woosley had a crash at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in a Modified in about '68/'69 and was injured, and I believe had to quit racing. I think he crashed in the yellow # 8 car pictured, but I am not absolutely sure. I am also curious about ownership.

OK, OK RETrott!! I am pretty sure that you are playing around with your comments but for those who are not familar with Meyer Speedway history here is a little more on the subject.

First of all this is all from memory so if I am wrong or someone else has a different opinion or memory , well just chime in, it's all about good times and great memories.

Ron Brashears normally drove in the figure 8 races and in maybe the bronco or stock class, the figure 8 cars were called "Crazy 8's".

If my memory servers me correctly Mr. Brashears maybe had a reputation for being a little over aggressive at times, so on whatever given night and for whatever reason he was driving a modified. I think, but cannot be for sure but for some reason I think it was in Munson Stoddards car. I seem to remember it was a 427 CI(Cubic Inch) Chevrolet powered car and going into turn one he hit the gas and gave the car in front of him a pretty healthy shot in the rear, remember they let sprinters run with the modifieds and the modifieds front end was lower than the sprinters rear end and well the laws of physics took over and over the fence they went.

I hope some one will chime in on this and also clarify the following:

Who drove, and crashed the yellow "Nance" modified.

Who's modified was Ron Brashears driving.

Who did he send over the wall?

This could have been Jerry Mann's car, This car was kept at an "ENCO" gas station at the corner of Hillcroft and Richmond, I was a kid and Jerry Mann I think worked at the station. This was a really clean car, an ex A.J. Foyt car if I remember correctly.

A-Rocket,

My comment comes from experience. In the '80s, I was a crewmember on a Super Stock that raced a couple of weeks at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands. The second week, while cruising in the lead in that night's feature race, that car was hit by Ron Brashears car entering turn one and was spun out. I was not surprised. The rules did not allow mirrors, nor did we have radios, or even a blackboard. If we had, the contact would likely have been avoided. I was trying, under caution, to signal that Ron was back there, about two or three positions, but I failed to give understandable signals. After that race, due to a dispute with track management, the engine was changed along with some other modifications, and the car switched to asphalt and finished the season on the half mile San Antonio track. I have absolutely no memory of Ron Brashears in a Modified at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, but that doesn't mean that it never happened. I would think, although from time to time I missed a few races, that I would have heard of the incident you describe. But, then again, not neccessarily. I only post items as I recall seeing or hearing about from reliable sources. If in error, I apologize. Good luck with your questions being answered, and correctly.

A-Rocket,

My comment comes from experience. In the '80s, I was a crewmember on a Super Stock that raced a couple of weeks at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands. The second week, while cruising in the lead in that night's feature race, that car was hit by Ron Brashears car entering turn one and was spun out. I was not surprised. The rules did not allow mirrors, nor did we have radios, or even a blackboard. If we had, the contact would likely have been avoided. I was trying, under caution, to signal that Ron was back there, but I failed to give understandable signals. After that race, due to a dispute with track management, the engine was changed along with some other modifications, and the car switched to asphalt and finished the season on the half mile San Antonio track. I have absolutely no memory of Ron Brashears in a Modified at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, but that doesn't mean that it never happened. I would think, although from time to time I missed a few races, that I would have heard of the incident you describe. But, then again, not neccessarily. I only post items as I recall seeing or hearing about from reliable sources. If in error, I apologize. Good luck with your questions being answered, and correctly.

RETrott the Meyer Speedway deal would have been in probably 68 or 69, although it could have been later and it also may have happened in practice. What I remember was they announced who was in the car and I specifically remember comments that were made from people in the stands, some along the lines of "......he won't know what to do with all that power!" and "why would he be in that car?", again I was just a kid but as you can remember Meyer Speedways grandstands were like Sunday mornings at church, you had your seats and the other regulars had theirs and when "newbies" would sit in "somebodies" seat they would politely be told that the seats were taken?

Thanks for the reply and if I read your post correctly then I can see that maybe the "overly aggressive" part of my question,( or story) was possibly correct.

A-Rocket,

My comment comes from experience. In the '80s, I was a crewmember on a Super Stock that raced a couple of weeks at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands. The second week, while cruising in the lead in that night's feature race, that car was hit by Ron Brashears car entering turn one and was spun out. I was not surprised. The rules did not allow mirrors, nor did we have radios, or even a blackboard. If we had, the contact would likely have been avoided. I was trying, under caution, to signal that Ron was back there, but I failed to give understandable signals. After that race, due to a dispute with track management, the engine was changed along with some other modifications, and the car switched to asphalt and finished the season on the half mile San Antonio track. I have absolutely no memory of Ron Brashears in a Modified at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, but that doesn't mean that it never happened. I would think, although from time to time I missed a few races, that I would have heard of the incident you describe. But, then again, not neccessarily. I only post items as I recall seeing or hearing about from reliable sources. If in error, I apologize. Good luck with your questions being answered, and correctly.

RETrott the Meyer Speedway deal would have been in probably 68 or 69, although it could have been later and it also may have happened in practice. What I remember was they announced who was in the car and I specifically remember comments that were made from people in the stands, some along the lines of "......he won't know what to do with all that power!" and "why would he be in that car?", again I was just a kid but as you can remember Meyer Speedways grandstands were like Sunday mornings at church, you had your seats and the other regulars had theirs and when "newbies" would sit in "somebodies" seat they would politely be told that the seats were taken?

Thanks for the reply and if I read your post correctly then I can see that maybe the "overly aggressive" part of my question,( or story) was possibly correct.

A little "overly aggressive"????

SONATA_VOLUME-114-1.jpg

Thanks RETrott for starting this thread. I'm posting below the two pics of the #2 car that I have original photo prints of. I've also borrowed pics from a couple other threads on here. Two pics were posted by 57T-Bird of the car in its present state at Bill's place in Temple. The 5th pic was posted on another thread today by Chipmunk. I think we may have a pic of the car in its second incarnation as the 6 or 16 car. Very interesting!

>>>

post-1274-1197782678_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1197782729_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1197782787_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1197782820_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1197782852_thumb.jpg

Buddy,

A very similiar car. For me, a little too similiar to not be the original # 2 Roadster Modified. The roll cage appears different, but attached the same way/place. Looking at the frame at Bill White's shop, the front bumper appears identical. That would also explain the white reference of the car's color, and the # 6 on the body pictured at Bill's. In those days, as I'm sure you know, all cars had to be numbered differently from each other which would explain the "taped on" appearing # 1 to create # 16. The knock off hubs/wheels could have been replaced for various reasons. Some good questions for Bill White. It definitely appears to be Meyer Spdwy/Houston, but either I didn't attend the event, or just don't remember. I wonder if Chipmunk has any idea of the date of the picture.

I think Bill changed the front bumper on the 2 car after he got it from Wade. Wonder if he still has the old bumper at his shop? I think the little bumper just wasn't beefy enough for Bill. I agree with Larry that the 16 has some striking similarities to the old 2. Only Bill will know?????????

Also, it looks like the cage was beefed up, the top skin removed and brackets welded on for a wing. I know I'll get some argument on this, but I just and alway have hated those big gaudy wings. I know the have their purpose, but dang they're ugly!

Same goes for sprint cars. They were once beautiful hand crafted creations, with loving care. Now they're just big, boxy, angular, ugly things. Such a shame.

I think you're dead nuts on, that is the same car painted up with the "6" and taped up "16" Look at the spacing on the front and rear radius rods, where they hand on the frame, identical. The front in is exact, even the bumper is dead nuts on, I just don't think that "one-off" could be replicated if you had too. I think we have a winner there with some serious history behind it. That chassis ran many a race, and most people saw mostly the rear end of it. Just can't think of that car without Wild Man behind the wheel, with those short sleeves rolled up tight and those Popeye forearms and tattoos blazing down the straightaways. Bill use to do things with that car that would just make you shake your head and go "Damn, what has he done to that thing, to make it handle as good as it does?" And sad part of the story is, I really don't think Bill ever used much more that a measuring tape and four wooden blocks to set a car up. He never gave a damn about balance, or cross, he just jumped in the damn thing and drove it to the front. One of the most amazing things I ever saw was Bill at the "Old" Devils Bowl with a bent front end dragging his front left radius rod and won the race one three wheels. Damndest thing I ever saw. Bill White was one of the best ever. If he had had USAC backing and was able to make the full circuit full time, there wouldn't have been a soul front coast to coast, that didn't feel the wrath of Wild Bill White.

He was and is very special ................. a one of a kind, that's for sure! :)

I had the honor and privilege to sit with Bill and Txtom in the stands at THR last year at the USAC midget race held there. His son Paul was running that race. We got the opportunity to talk a little about racing back then and that car. What fun!

Appears to be Bill White standing behind a Modified/Super Modified Car in the late 60s at Meyer Speedway/Houston with turn three in the background. I don't recall ever seeing Bill White drive the car pictured, but it is possibly the car that was driven by Jackie Woosley that was in a serious crash that also involved a car driven by Bill White in/near Meyer Speedway turn two.

No bill never drove that car for sure, you can tell by the look on his face what he thought of it. The more I think about it the more I think it was that ugly yellow super Clyde Johnson drove. Clyde lived up around the WACO area I'm pretty sure. If T-Bird sees Bill again on his next trip to Temple he could ask him.

Actually, Bill thinks he did drive that car, but he's not absolutely sure. He doesn't think Clyde Johnson was the driver. He said Clyde was from Abilene.

He does remember the crash mentioned. Said he separated the engine from Woosley's car.

The # 4, yellow unwinged Super Modified/Super Modified Stock Car, with the very modified early '30s era coupe body that is pictured in the "More Meyer Speedway Super Mod Photos" section is most likely the Clyde Johnson car of the early '60s.

• 3 weeks later...

A very interesting development on the subject of this thread has just come to light. It seems Danny Burke built a "TWIN" to the #2 car way back in the late fifties/early 60's. I had never heard of nor seen this car.

Apparently it was run as a dirt car in the north and east Texas areas.

Recently the old car has been located in the Killeen area and is being returned to Houston for restoration. There are some very good photos of the car as it was originally run on another Texas racing site. They are asking for any information on the car and its history that anybody might have knowledge of.

Archived