Calling Truck Owners

firemdk

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would be wrong with adding more trucks even if they are out of Oklahoma ? I think the USST series is growing very strong and think it would be good to see the only 4 asphalt tracks in Texas and Oklahoma working together. Its hard to belive but thats all you have left and the Oklahoma tracks are running one series and the Texas series is running another. Waco says they have 5 trucks we have 5 to 6 in Wichita Falls and Altus has 8 trucks. These towns are all close enough to run both places. I know USST runs a nice schedule and they are off a few weeks etc. If we could run our USST races and then come down south and run the Texas Trucks so be it but look at a possible set of rules to get all the trucks together. I am sure the USST series would let the Texas Trucks run off of there rules. Then at the end of the year have your big shows and have 20 plus trucks show up for an event. I can recall Red River Speedway pulling 17 trucks when Jon Garrett had the series and we combined the show and have over 27 trucks in the area for the weekend with ARTS and USST. Its just a thought but utilize everyone in your area of asphalt racing to try to make this work. The more trucks , more fans , more purse , that then opens the doors for sponsors when you tell them you are racing in a series with X amount of trucks etc.

it's upto the truck owners to decide the fate of the class. I'm looking at ARTS and USST as sanctioning bodies right now. I'm contacting ARTS about redoing the Lone Star Region and seeing if we can get them to work out deals with the tracks and I'm talking to USST about getting us involved in their races. There would be some travel involved but the money would be better and it would help to build our class as long as someone didn't try and branch it off again and try to start a new series.

There are some plus and minus things to both the options and once I get everything together I'll send out an e-mail with the pro's and con's of each for the owners to see.

Everyone who owns a truck, please PM me your email address or email them to me so that I can put you on the mailing list once the facts come out.

Thanks,

Waco guys would like all truck guys and mary ann / graham to call a meeting so would could get this figured out 5 trucks in waco / busby's will hopefully be back strong in 2008. we would like the touring series 10-12 , 8 or so in kyle. i love the class and two other waco guys are looking at trucks - also we need a person like mary ann not a racer to run the show --- also need a new set of rules for us in black & white lets race............

10-12 8 in kyle sounds good. rule change why start changing rules? trucks don't show up to begin with. and if you start changing rules you will find even less showing up.

charger, I did not mean let one seriers or the other run with each other, those rules are already in place at usst, and as I stated before come run with us on your tire and a 2bbl carb and I'm happy, but i dont make those decisions. I just dont want to see them combined or part of some natuional series that isnt really a series either. This series needs to stay at an affordable level. The best thing that has happened is the goodyear tire!! it has cut expenses dramaticly, last longer than any tire I have raced including the hoosier 970. I am still on left sides after 7 races and the last time I won was on 300 lap tires. put TSRS on the good years and watch a bunch of good pull-offs trickle to the lower budget teams.

The thing with USST or ARTS is that it brings in money. A sanctioning body brings the ability to pull sponsorship into the texas series and to allow us to be able to travel and split up the races. I would eventually like to see either USST or ARTS get enough trucks together to have a 30 truck field at TMS during a Nascar weekend. Out west we used to run the Autolite West series at phoenix during the nascar weekend and it was great, also easy to find sponsors for a race like that.

All I've heard everyone say is that we need to see more dollars to keep fielding the trucks. Now we're looking at a way to get more dollars so the san antonion and austin folks willl travel to houston and visa versa and now all I'm hearing is we don't want that we want to keep it local.

I have to say, everyone needs to pick a side of the fence and stay there, that way those of us that are trying to get 2008 and beyond rolling will know what direction to go.

As for rules, ARTS is pretty much out. They require a totally different body than most of us are running. USST has pretty much the same rules package with a few minor modifications that I'm told they may waive for our trucks

I dont want to pay the 300+ dollars it cost to belong to arts and for what a trophy or something and usst already has rules that alow our trucks to compete, so if you wana go race with them go ahead, but seeing how you couldnt make the last 3 HMP races, I doubt you will race up there.

Lets just run like we did this year and see if we cant get some stability, HMP is willing and I am sure THR is just as willing and it worked out good especially for our EVERYTHING CHAMP JIM ALBERT way to go bud!!!

Well the season is over and Arthur has thrown in his two cents so I will pitch in mine!

As mentioned in the first few post there are easily 20 + trucks in the vicinity and if you think really hard you will probably remember a few more, for example Nathan Lee and the "Rowdy Graphics" truck out of the Cypress/Waller area. Nathans truck is sitting and I believe, probably just like some of the others is race ready.

In my opinion and from looking back at this last season, regardless of the arguments early on about Rusty's efforts to put on a series it pretty much comes down to economics. Some, not all, of the truck teams are operating on little or no racing budgets at all, the teams race when they can and where they can because they want to race. Getting a series together between HMP and THR would be great if it could be pulled off, however since there is not a sanctioning body that currently holds the group together the trucks as a group are fractured. It is apparent that some teams have the flexability to be proactive with their efforts for example, firemdk and xcellracing are continually making comments concerning the trucks and it is apparent that both would like to see a successful series. It is also apparent that the fractured state of the truck racers is drawn against geographical lines, those west of Seguin and those east of Sequin! That line makes it easy for teams to look up I-10 and decide which direction they want to go when they can afford to race.

This post starts out listing the trucks that we all know or think are out there, however I do not remember my phone ever ringing when our truck was sitting for almost 2 seasons. My suggestion is that the truck racers take a page out of HMP's recent decision to add a drivers liasion that would represent the trucks, this person or persons would actually get a current phone list and start making calls, I can tell you first hand had my phone rang in the last 2 seasons it is possable that we would have raced more. This approach may seem elementry but again since we do not have a sanctioning body I think 2 representatives, one from the east and one from the west(who could share making phone calls and contact) and would be willing to make those calls and get commitments or to find out the status of each team would go miles in helping the truck count and would help in making the trucks more appealing to the promotors and potential sponsors, both from the aspect of teams but also a series sponsor. If you can put trucks on the track with a good truck count then the $$ should increase for the trucks as a whole. Not everyone is going to get rich racing or even break even however if taken from the grass roots level and self promoted, the truck counts should increase or if nothing else shake up the current owners who may be willing to sell their equipment to someone who will race.

Now with regard to Arthurs comment about "Pretty Boring" racing, well it is all in the eyes of the person watching. The 3 trucks that showed up to race are 3 of the fastest trucks that have raced in the ARTS/USRA

truck experience, the # 80(formerly the # 54) and the # 47 were always qualifing in the top 6 in the 20 plus fields that we saw in the USRA days, and the # 72 of late is by far one of the fastest trucks at HMP week in and week out.

The HMP announcer called the race an "Exhibition" for the benifit of the fans, however there was no exhibition to it, 3 trucks , 3 lead changes between all 3 trucks, passing on the outside, passing on the inside, last lap effort coming to the line for the win, 3 racers racing hard but with respect for their competitors, for most of the race you could cover the field with a blanket. Small field yes,...lack of excitement,...no,.. not really! As I said it is in the eyes of the person watching it and the fans that I saw and heard were not making negative comments about the race as it was truly a race. The group of fans that drove from San Antonio and were sitting below my wife wagered on the race and were high fiving each other after the race, it was not boring to them. Nick said it pretty accuratly "Pretty Exciting! Compare this to another class that raced that evening, the green flag flew and by the exit of turn 2 they were single file and they stayed that way,.....all,.......race,.........long!!!!! There were 9 in that class but very little racing, on any given night we have all been a part of a race that never really comes together, sometimes as spectators and sometimes as participants and no one really likes it but it happens. So Arthur there is your change that you asked for from an earlier post. (All in fun!! Arthur!!)

I have sent my contact numbers to Brent Thor(firemdk) and I would hope that the other truck racers or perspective racers who are looking for available equipment would also contact him as well. Hopefully Brent(if he has the time ) will step up and be the rep for the racers east of Seguin and possibly Rusty or someone with Rusty's drive and determination would step up in the west to possibly put something together at least as a grass roots effort to keep truck racing as a viable class.

You are right no phone call, but I know Brent Bell sent you an e-mail and he fowarded that email to me were you stated your state of racing and interests in a series, so you were contacted just like we contacted 29 other truck owner/drivers. No offense intended, but I dont want someone who has raced only one truck race to head anything up, especially when he screams how come no one races HMP, we all show up and where is he, he couldnt make it. Thats fine, but I want someone with a little more commitment to call the shots for me ya know.

You are right no phone call, but I know Brent Bell sent you an e-mail and he fowarded that email to me were you stated your state of racing and interests in a series, so you were contacted just like we contacted 29 other truck owner/drivers. No offense intended, but I dont want someone who has raced only one truck race to head anything up, especially when he screams how come no one races HMP, we all show up and where is he, he couldnt make it. Thats fine, but I want someone with a little more commitment to call the shots for me ya know.

Rusty, you are correct when you and Brent were trying to rally the trucks together, I did get an e-mail, the point that I was making is it makes a much larger impact when you get a call and actually talk to some one. I have put together a grass roots effort on the Gulf Coast with Class A Speedway motorcyles in the late 80's, before e-mails and internet. I started with one bike and when I left the sport in 92' there were 40 + motorcyles racing on the Gulf Coast. It can be done, but it has to take commitment and I think it has to be by phone. Now I really do not care who the person or persons are, Brent, Brents wife, You, your wife, any one who has the time, I unfortunatley cannot, nor can my wife, I would if I could, however as you and I spoke at Houston when you came down, we both know why you or I can or cannot race on any given weekend and I will give other competitors the same consideration.

Rusty Mirth is good for the sport, Brent Bell is good for the sport, Cameron Moore Jr, Bubba Shelton and , Brent Thor is good for the sport, and on and on it goes, everyone involved is good for the sport but we have got to get past this dividing line, You can easily make a comment about our participation and draw conclusions concerning our commitment, however like everyone else there is a reason for our failure to be at the track on race weekends. Rusty, I promise you, with your personality if you called me and harrassed me enough, you know that we would show up sooner or later!! THAT is a givin!!! And I am sure that others with friendly "prodding" would also show up or at least dust off the cobwebs and consider putting their equipment back out on the market for someone who does want to race, (we had better watch out those "Waco Boys" might have more trucks in their area than the rest of us!!) now you may say "well why should I call these people?' Because sometimes it takes some prodding, especially since so many people put their equipment and racing on the back burner to see what would result after the USRA folded, but it is like winning and losing, if you get used to losing then eventually you quit trying, however when you rekindle the desire to win and compete then these drivers and their trucks should hopefully return.

Again just my opinion, use the internet and e-mails, but follow up with phone calls!!

It does not take a racer to put this together just someone who likes racing and would like to see it succeed.

I know when Robert raced the truck series we had alot of fun and truly enjoyed the series. I would hate to see the trucks not race. We even races at Wichita Falls, and Dodge City, Kansas. Had a super time. I hope that we can all see more of the trucks racing. It is a great bunch of racers and trucks. You all make Texas proud. just my pennies worth

Rusty,

I'm going to address your point publicy not in an PM like I should. I started this post as a no finger pointing, let's throw some ideas out. Let me make one thing clear. I'm about as committed to this sport as anyone can be. I've been racing cars and boats since I was old enough and have been very sucessful around the country. I came out for one race because I just bought this truck and I wanted to run it once so I knew what to get ready for the complete season next year. All I hear from you Rusty is negativity, you don't have anything constructive you just throw out slams and BS on everyone who trys to get something done. That's what happenend the last time we posted this and look where it ended up.

We need constructive comments. I've had great conversation with A-Rocket and some of the other drivers here in Houston. I've got people here that are looking for trucks and yet they sit, waiting for what? I think Rusty, if you would get on board with an idea, what ever the idea and support it, I mean wholly support it then we could get on track and get our counts up and get decent pay nights when we get 25+ trucks on the track.

A-Rocket,

The boring comment was a comment from someone who has never seen a race in person. I for one think there is nothing boring about racing. I missed the race, I was getting ready for my race. Give me a call, I got a question for you, and thanks for the change!!! :D

Arthur

281-541-1301

I think what the main issue is your never gonna have everyone agree on the best way to run the trucks. one guy wants to change rules, one wants us to run there track more then ours, some others want to be sanctioned by ARTS and pay $300 for a trophy. why not just do what makes sense, run kyle full season and, HMP partial

combine points so you have to run HMP if your going for a championship. It's apparent the 07 season

didn't do much for the truck counts at HMP they dwindled. Kyle had a steady 12-14 truck count so it would seem the problem is not at Kyle But those are just my thoughts. And as Rusty stated before if you want to go race with USST go for it and good luck bring your truck back in one piece

Brent, I didnt point fingers, I just stated some facts, You only raced one race, screamed no trucks are racing and then havent raced, That just doesnt come across as committed to me. I havent said anything negative about anything just what I would like to see or not see for a series I have raced for three years along with alot of other trucks that have raced this series as long or longer. the last thing I want is for someone to come and think they can combine and be some national series next year. We need to prove ourselves and set the standard so the westcoast, eastcoast, usst, orielly supertrucks etc.. want to be like us not the other way around. It just isnt going to happen overnight.

Chad,

How many races the trucks race at Kyle? 6, 7? HMP raced a full season, and Kyle did not. Race a limited amount of races, and more trucks will show. race every week at Kyle, and you will have the same problem, just not as bad as we did, but you will have a problem with low counts. I think 5 here and 6-7 over there would be fair and would give people time to recoupe the expense to go race. Originally I said 5 and 5, but you can have more at Kyle if it makes you feel better. But before anyone decides, get all the drivers together, get a commitee set up and a tech man or team and a sponsor, and get it going. If you guys put half the energy you do into complaining about it, you will have a great series. All of you seem to need someone to HOLD YOUR HANDS and say, here, do this. I have been pushing you guys in the direction, but you are fighting the push. I did what I could to help lead you guys to a direction that I think will work, but until someone steps up that is experienced in this type of racing, you guys are doomed. And I feel sorry for thise that have trucks and cannot race them. I have offered to help, but until someone steps up, I will not comment anymore. I also agree with Rusty, that as much as Brent Thor is good for the sport, he is not the person to lead, but he is a good person to help. No offense Brent, but I feel that someone with more experience is needed in this series for it to survive. I think your go get em attitude is good, just follow through and get someone to get things going. I, myself, will consentrate on the Stock Cars. There are 3 new cars coming out that are very competitive. Since I didn't sell my car, I will concentrate on it and Kentucky. Good luck to the truck series, I will be here if you need help.

I for one got several PM's, an email and about 5 phone calls that went back and forth from Rusty. I think there efforts were not in vain just wrong timing for many.

I'll step up and say this. I'll commit $100 to purde for every race next year from Custom Control Modules if someone who is going to run (one series) will contact me. I wont sponsor trucks at HMP and then sponsor them seperately at THR or whereever.

Also, for anyone interested. Jorge(#50) has said that there is an opportunity to race down on Padre Island(Port Isibel) Naval Base. It can be done in conjunction with the car club that runs down there and is publicized big time.

I dont want to pay the 300+ dollars it cost to belong to arts and for what a trophy or something and usst already has rules that alow our trucks to compete, so if you wana go race with them go ahead, but seeing how you couldnt make the last 3 HMP races, I doubt you will race up there.

Lets just run like we did this year and see if we cant get some stability, HMP is willing and I am sure THR is just as willing and it worked out good especially for our EVERYTHING CHAMP JIM ALBERT way to go bud!!!

thanks rusty

Thanks mark, I for one appreciate it. If we can get something at padre I'm in. It sounds like maybe a road race? Sounds like a blast. The other thing that would be fun if we could pull it off would be to run texas world speedway on the 1.5 mile or road course

Chad,

How many races the trucks race at Kyle? 6, 7? HMP raced a full season, and Kyle did not. Race a limited amount of races, and more trucks will show. race every week at Kyle, and you will have the same problem, just not as bad as we did, but you will have a problem with low counts. I think 5 here and 6-7 over there would be fair and would give people time to recoupe the expense to go race. Originally I said 5 and 5, but you can have more at Kyle if it makes you feel better. But before anyone decides, get all the drivers together, get a commitee set up and a tech man or team and a sponsor, and get it going. If you guys put half the energy you do into complaining about it, you will have a great series. All of you seem to need someone to HOLD YOUR HANDS and say, here, do this. I have been pushing you guys in the direction, but you are fighting the push. I did what I could to help lead you guys to a direction that I think will work, but until someone steps up that is experienced in this type of racing, you guys are doomed. And I feel sorry for thise that have trucks and cannot race them. I have offered to help, but until someone steps up, I will not comment anymore. I also agree with Rusty, that as much as Brent Thor is good for the sport, he is not the person to lead, but he is a good person to help. No offense Brent, but I feel that someone with more experience is needed in this series for it to survive. I think your go get em attitude is good, just follow through and get someone to get things going. I, myself, will consentrate on the Stock Cars. There are 3 new cars coming out that are very competitive. Since I didn't sell my car, I will concentrate on it and Kentucky. Good luck to the truck series, I will be here if you need help.

6-7 here, 5 there whatever as long as we have some where to race our truck. but why does a suggestion always turn into then you get the series started? hmm and you wonder why no one gives them. And believe me there is no one that needs to hold my hand and tell me anything. I have no interest in running a series

just giving out some thoughts on the subject which firemdk started this post for. But since your not even involved with the series why not you? seem thats the direction the other truck owners are leaning? and you seem to have all the answers and want to lead us in a direction that will work, then you do that and we will race in the series. But I do agree with one thing someone is going to have to step up just not gonna be me.

why not put your hobby stock up for a season and see what you can do for the trucks since you have such an interest in them?

I have to agree with Chad, I think we need to quit using the word "series". How about we say this, there will be a local class at THR and a local class at HMP. Each of those classes will crown a season champ. There will also be an overall champ and inorder to win that title you must do 5 races at THR and 5 at HMP out of the regular seasons races. If we as owners can look at our schedules and put some ideas on the board about which 5 dates we all want to run THR and which 5 dates we all want to run HMP then we can let the promoters know to expect more trucks. Again, I agree with Chad, let's quit using the word "series" and see how this works for 08. If part of it works and part doens't then we'll tweak it for 09 and so on until we get enough trucks and a sponsor to where we can form our own traveling show (see I still didn't use "series")

What are your thoughts on this?

Chad,

6-7 here, 5 there whatever as long as we have some where to race our truck. but why does a suggestion always turn into then you get the series started? hmm and you wonder why no one gives them. And believe me there is no one that needs to hold my hand and tell me anything. I have no interest in running a series

just giving out some thoughts on the subject which firemdk started this post for. But since your not even involved with the series why not you? seem thats the direction the other truck owners are leaning? and you seem to have all the answers and want to lead us in a direction that will work, then you do that and we will race in the series. But I do agree with one thing someone is going to have to step up just not gonna be me.

why not put your hobby stock up for a season and see what you can do for the trucks since you have such an interest in them?

Sorry Chad, my qoute skills are not up to par. I was suggesting directly to you the amount of races, the series thing is directed to all drivers. I personally have to deal with my business every saturday night at a dirt track, and that is why I cannot travel, as I stated before. I worked with a series that I drove in, and traveled, while runnng this business, but when the races conflicted, I sent the car with another driver. I have no interest in running the series, or club, or whatever you want to call it. I to want it to succeed, because I like the trucks. All I hear is bickering over this and that. If it is going to be a multi track deal, the tracks don't want anything to do with it. My suggestion to Graham and Mary Ann would be to take them off the schedule and if someone came with an organized group, give them some dates.

It is obvious that the trucks WILL NOT SURVIVE without leadership. find the leadership, or let the trucks sit again. Its the owner/drivers choice. get together, have a meeting, vote on what you want to do.

I did offer help and asked for phone numbers of drivers, I recieved 2 e-mails. I am not an owner or a driver in this hunt, I am a fan who races another class that wants to see you guys enjoy the racing that I get to enjoy, even though my car count is down in my class, we are working on that too.

Arthur,

Please don't take offense to this but we don't need the promoters to take the trucks off the schedule and I don't want anyone making comments here and on one hand saying there all for it and then on the other hand talking to the promoters about taking us off the schedule. How about we take the stock car class off the HMP schedule since there is never more than 6 cars at a time and it's pretty boring racing until someone crashes. What your saying is about as ridiculous and what I just said. We need to promote the class by what ever means necessary. The first year of the stock cars at HMP what did you guys have 4 cars? Don't come on here and talk about the promoters should pull the trucks, one the schedule is already set at HMP and were there, secondly that is negativity and that's not what we need.

Archived