that would be interesting but I think for it to work it would have to be a local class not a traveling series. It seems that the last rules got revised on 1-3-07. so it maybe after the first of the year. but do you really think they are going to make many changes or just incorporate a rules to allow the RR to keep running with them. from what i saw the class is pretty competive and if they leave it the way it is then it should promote the racing we saw this year.

I wouldnt expect much to change. But it seams like they would work to combine the rules instead of keeping to the two seperate sets of rules. Just seams like it would be easier to tech.

I vote for alowing all the thunderstocks to be fully gutted like the RR. I would also like to see headers alowed.

The camber rule is one of the keys to the Grand Stock rules. It prevents teams from "re-engineering" their suspensions with cleverly disguised frame alterations and "stock appearing" replacement parts. As it is, some of the teams are already having "shop wrecks" where the bump steer problems are partially addressed by pulling the frame in the desired directions.

Allowing camber modifications would be step in the wrong direction, IMHO.

Nick

I kinda agree with you nick.. this is quickly becoming the pure stocks of yester year...

I think another thing that needs to be addressed is the HP vs. Weight stuff..

Is having a police intercepter w/ Fuel injection even though it meets the rules fair to someone running the Street version 350?

Rumor has it these cars can make more HP with chips and such...

My understanding is that more camber would help with tire wear. We are only allowed one inch and that sure eats up a lot of tires. I sure saw a lot of guys go through a bunch of tires this year.

Aaron,

I agree with you about the intercepters w/ fuel injection. I have never thought that was fair. Talk about putting on a better race show. I don't think anyone likes to see one car soooo far ahead of everyone else, even if it legal it does not promote better racing. I have heard the guys say they don't have the chip, but I don't know that I am completely convinced on that.

What do you other Grandstock drivers think about the camber rule and also the intercepters?

Did I hear Mary Ann say that this class wasn't a beginners class at the last Driver's Meeting???? Just a fun affordable class, right?

I think she was referring to the drivers, not the cars. There were some complaints that "ringers" like Mark Chrudimsky were not "beginners" and Mary Ann addressed those concerns.

Face it. Mark Chrudimsky could probably outrun the grand stocks driving a big, brown UPS truck. That guy is a driver's driver!

The kiss of death for any "stock" class comes when the rules are relaxed to accomodate those with a "better" idea. "Put a cage in it and run it like that" (with the appropriate safety features, of course) is the key to a pure stock class.

Nick

I was referring to the intercepters w/fuel injectors that seem to run away with race winning 3 or so car lengths ahead of the field. BOORING.

Nick,

In your opinion, if it is completely a stock class (which we are) what can you do for better performance. The only thing we have to work with is air pressure, tow, caster and camber. We have completely stock springs, shocks and motor. Any suggestions? I am new to this and trying hard to understand all the aspects, Richard and Johnny are always looking for ways to improve the set up. In fact, we were thinking about your seminar in January, I just don't know how much it would help in this class since there isn't much we can do to the car.

I was just wondering, that if it's not a beginner's class, how come they don't have a R O T Y?

Nick,

In your opinion, if it is completely a stock class (which we are) what can you do for better performance. The only thing we have to work with is air pressure, tow, caster and camber. We have completely stock springs, shocks and motor. Any suggestions? I am new to this and trying hard to understand all the aspects, Richard and Johnny are always looking for ways to improve the set up. In fact, we were thinking about your seminar in January, I just don't know how much it would help in this class since there isn't much we can do to the car.

There are things that you can do, but if I tell ya I'd have to kill ya... LOL

Actually, there are some basic weight things that most drivers overlook in that division. In class we spend a good part of the first two sessions on weight and weight transfer as part of the "Long Legs" approach to suspension engineering. Weight priciples apply to any class at any level - even go karts!

There are also some gains to be found in roll center locations depending on what you can do (or not do) with your spindles/ball joints.

Of course, air pressure and tire size are important in any class, especially Grand Stocks included where other adjustments are either very limited or non-existant.

If you do decide to take the seminar, bring your thinking cap! I give homework assignments too. The geometry stuff is very important, but you guys can't really do much about that. But the good thing is that if you learn it now, you won't have to learn it after you move up a class or two...

Nick

Hopefully the Kyle Suspension Seminar flyer should answer your questions.

Kyle Suspension Seminar flyer

The seminar lasts for 5 weeks - every Thursday evening starting on January 17th thru February 14th. The classes run from 7:00 p.m. until around 10:00 p.m.

There is a $300 registration fee. If the crew chief is half price if he attends with the driver.

Nick

So we'll be in class on Valentine's Day????? That's icing on the cake don't ya think?

So we'll be in class on Valentine's Day????? That's icing on the cake don't ya think?

That last night (Feb 14) Chris and Gary Swenson will have the floor for an hour, or so. Shocks are a BIG part of suspension engineering these days and the Swensons know their stuff.

If you think you'll be missing your sweetheart too much that night, Jody Wayne, we can have some mirrors set up for ya. LOL

Nick

Archived