Some Pics of Our Old Car-Meyer Speedway

jakdad

• 1 month later...

Okay - I'll ask. Who's in the 8 car?

Another guy named Jim, that's me.

Right on - when were these taken?

What was this class called back then? I just think its interesting to see what different areas of the country were running at the time.

The fourth photo from the bottom, the one in color, really looks like SAS to me, but it was probably taken 5 years before I was born so maybe not?

If you look close at the wall in the background, you will see that it is ARMCO, like you find on the highway.

That pic was taken at Meyer.

• 1 month later...

Okay - I'll ask. Who's in the 8 car?

Another guy named Jim, that's me.

Right on - when were these taken?

What was this class called back then? I just think its interesting to see what different areas of the country were running at the time.

As Jakdad answered earlier, this class was "Bronco Stock Cars". With the lack of "new blood" building and driving the "Modified Stock Cars" now racing on a 1/2 mile track, in late season '62 a new, strictly stock "Stock Car" class was started using roll bar added, window glass and lights removed '49 thru '55 American made street passenger cars. Well of course, "strictly" has a way of becoming ambiguous. After '63, rules changed to allow '56 model cars. The "Bronco" nickname became permanent when early on one of the cars bounced down the back straightaway in a manner to cause the announcer, Tater Pete Hunter, to remark, "look at that bucking bronco". Later, after running 40+ car features starting 3 abreast, "Wild & Woolly" was also used in their description. By '64/'65, these cars were basically super stock/street stock well built race cars with stock but machined 2 barrel carbed engines and fined tuned suspensions with safety modifications on wheels/hubs. Passenger car "capped" tires were used with racing tires/wheels allowed and required on the RF only.

This Meyer Speedway "Bronco" Stock Car class raced there from '62 thru the '68 season. After the '66 season ended at Meyer Speedway, a couple of these cars raced and were competitive at C C Speedway in Corpus Christi that year. However, they were somewhat slower than what was being called "Stock Cars" at San Antonio's Pan American Speedway. In '69, Meyer Speedway became NASCAR sanctioned, and some of these cars were updated for the Late Model Sportsman and/or the Limited Sportsman Stock Car divisions. Others most likely ended up running at the Almeda Speedway(south of Houston) 1/4 mile dirt track that had originally been 5/8 mile.

very cool history.......thank you guys.

isn't it funny how a class can start so simple , and in a matter of a few years snowball in to a higher form of affordablity? even back then.

thanX for the pics and the history.

I posted but obviously I don't know how to make smaller. Little help please. I'll work on a new album to permit smaller pics.

Thanks

The pace lap picture appears to be turn 2 exit/back straightaway in '67 or '68. Say huh?

Definately pace lap. None of us were that civilized after the green dropped!

:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

And for you folks that didn't know it, Larry took my old car for a ride one night at Meyer Speedway! Did a good job with too, as far as the limitations of the car would let him go. Had some handling problems that night (and a few others :D ). Lots of fun...................

The picture of the # 66 Car & # 8 Car appears to be at speed exiting turn two at Meyer Speedway/Houston in about '68, Bronco Stock Car class. If later than '68, they would be Limited Sportsman, but Jakdad should know the year. Thomas "Pop" Minor drove a # 66 Modified Stock Car in about '62. During the '63 season, Pop periodically drove the # 2 Modified that was a twin to M J Burton's # 5 Modified racing at that time. The '63 # 2 Car was severely damaged in a crash the first time out and basically had to have the right side rebuilt. After '63, I believe Pop Minor sold his interest in the car and bought a Bronco Stock Car and raced in that class in '64. After the '64 season, I'm not sure of Pop's racing activities. At some point, he moved to Alabama. Pop Minor was also part of the building crew of M J Burton's Modified # 5, and is pictured with the rest of the crew and car in the Meyer Speedway Pictures section.

Archived