Some Pics of Our Old Car-Meyer Speedway

jakdad

In '66, Meyer Spdwy/Houston's Labor Day/Weekend events were held at night. A few weeks later, on 9/25/'66, the last points races of the season were ran on Sunday afternoon, with the heat races and the 100 lap features for the Modified Stocks and Bronco Stocks filmed. That filming was transferred to tape about 18/19 years later. However, the head busting turn one battle that occured a few minutes after the last race, does not show up on tape. At least not on any copy I have seen, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't part of the filming.

And NOT one of your better moments spinning through the infield

I think this is the Labor Day 100 lapper in 1966

I think you're right about the race and date. Top pic looks like we were gettin' a little air on the LF, could be why we broke an axle at the end of the race......................

In '66, Meyer Spdwy/Houston's Labor Day/Weekend events were held at night. A few weeks later, on 9/25/'66, the last points races of the season were ran on Sunday afternoon, with the heat races and the 100 lap features for the Modified Stocks and Bronco Stocks filmed. That filming was transferred to tape about 18/19 years later. However, the head busting turn one battle that occured a few minutes after the last race, does not show up on tape. At least not on any copy I have seen, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't part of the filming.

I just watched that CD this afternoon. We didn't finish any better. Butch McQueen was driving the yellow 2 Bronco in this race. Did he get that car from Peanuts Jeffcoat? Later Butch had a yellow car with a different nimber.

I just watched that CD this afternoon. We didn't finish any better. Butch McQueen was driving the yellow 2 Bronco in this race. Did he get that car from Peanuts Jeffcoat? Later Butch had a yellow car with a different nimber.

Jim, I am quite familiar with the # 2 Bronco Stock Car from '66. It was owned/built by Mel Newkirk, and has a somewhat detailed history. As for Butch McQueen, as you recall, the two year/season driving experience limit rule was being enforced, with pro-rating allowed for partial season racing. Just prior the season's end in '66, Butch sold the # 95 Car that he had raced that year and the '65 season as well. The # 95 Car became the # 45 Car driven by Elton Porter for the few remaining races.

Archived