THR 9-27

TheLegend96

Guest Justaracefan

Just wanted to ask a question? The #3 Car qualified around 16th and was several laps down - Isn't this the same car that Casey Smith drove and qualified in the top-5 of the TSRS??? Oh and I did stay to watch the TSRS race and there were again plenty of cautions!!

How about Casey setting Fast Time in Romco? Too bad he broke and pulled it to the pits!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was Buck Basey driving the #3 car.

It was his first time ever without hardly any practice to race a Late Model.

Buck had a couple of flats that made him go down laps.

There is a big difference Justaracefan between someones first race and someone that has had as much seat time as Casey.Casey's car looked good but I don't know what broke.

Folks,

Let's not make this another Casey S. thread. How about those Davidsons? And how about Brandon B? T. Wade? Cars set up and prepped perfect, engines tuned for THR, drivers at the top of their form, all of them running high in points. Let's put the emphasis where it belongs!

Congrats to all those guys!

Chuckman,

For some reason, whenever Casey comes up in a thread (and he's usually brought up by the same 2 guys), everyone has to take a side. So the thread goes on and on, getting more radical with each new post until finally Nick has to lock the thread. I like reading the questions and answers, and hearing compliments about the drivers that do well. Casey is to be congratulated for his qualifying time, but let's look at who finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...............When we already have 3 (now 5) posts about Casey and only 1 (a report of finish order) about the leaders, I see this thread going the same way as so many previous threads. Sorry, but I get tired of it.

I'll agree with you on that,but he his popular with a lot of people that post

here so thats what happens.

The same can be said for you post what about the other classes that ran?

There was good racing all night long and into the morning.

Congrats to all that ran Sat. night,and thanks to all the fans that stayed the stands were still full when we ran.

You got that right. What a night!! It would be great to have that kind of turn out (fans and cars) every time we race. And then of course, there's the reruns after the race that go on until the beer runs out. Sometimes those are better than the real races. And for the most part, racers are a family. There's only 1 driver per car, so the rest of the crew has to be in it for something. When you have 152 cars, it's like a big family reunion. I was all over talking to ROMCO guys I know, TSRS guys I know, and even Dwarf guys (I mean Dwarf Car guys) I know. Even Oktober Fast won't be the same since the classes are split up over 2 weekends.

What a night! Long but................

What track record did Casey Smith brake? Romco (or super latemodel) track record at THR belongs to Ricky Turner with I believe a 14.25 in the big shot last year. Casey was fast though, and whose car was he in? That was a good looking car.

I remember those first few years of Oktoberfast it was awesome. Had drivers from Kansas, Colorado, California and Oklahoma. I miss seeing John Oneil come down and be quick right off the trailer. Him and C. Davidson put on a good show in '99. Wish Oktoberfast was still the same.

J.C Umscheid held the track record until that point I do beleive. And I do have to agree with hray on the Casey issue. Why when he gets brought up everyone thinks hes the greatest thing to walk the earth. Granite he runs ASA and a few other series here and there. What about all the other young guys out there such as Bradley Riethmyer excellent driver not to mention he works his butt off on the car when he is in town or at the track. Hell come in tell you what the cars doin what he wants to do to fix and then hell start workin on it to make it better do you ever hear about him. Not very often Or J.C Umscheid 20 years old and doing awsome with his own business you may say its cause of his dad well his dad did teach him everything so you are right but J.C is awsome as a driver or Crew Cheif or just about any position in racing you put him at. There are more young drivers out there. Why is all the focus put on one person.

StaceyT I got a ?-was Casey's time at HMS with a pit stop included-cause a 20.57 at HMS can't be just for qualifying.Run a 20.57 at HMS and a Bandolero will run past you on both sides-or did I not read your post right-explain it for an old man

Randy5249-

Why is all the focus put on one person? The answer is the same as it has always been: because no one has heard of the others outside of the small circle of Texas racing, and not a lot has been heard about them inside that circle.

Riethmeyer is a good kid and a good driver, but Casey Smith is not only one of the best, he has gotten press coverage since he was six years old because his parents and team put an emphasis on it.

How many of the young drivers and their teams have made any effort to get the word out about themselves?

As I've said before, I didn't make the world the way it is. How many of the celebrity actors and actresses are really good actors? How many of the best-known and most successful politicians are really good, honest public servants? You can be Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty combined, and you'll get nowhere unless you and your team make noise away from the race track. Fans don't follow unknowns, and sponsors don't back them.

I just noticed that Casey was roughly .15 seconds faster in qualifing. WOW. How often is there that much differance between 1st and 2nd in qualifing. I know it doesnt happen too much in ROMCO. Good Job Casey and I hope that he gets things fixed for the next race he enters. Also on the same note good job of Chris and Greg holding things together after thier little incident. Brandon was steady as always and its great to see that he had much better luck this time around becasuse he needed it to keep up with Greg. Can't wait for Oktoberfast now!

Guest Justaracefan

TQ: You are exactly right - I made a point to watch this Casey Smith kid after I read the American Statesman and saw him on news 8 - I think he had just captured his 2nd national racing title. He was running a legends and noone had anything for him. I just knew he was probably real stuck up but after the races I went to the pits and was just walking around his car and he made a special point to shake my hand and introduce himself -- He gave my kid a Casey T-shirt and from that point forward I became a fan of his not only for his accomplishments but his demenor. I love watching him climb the ranks. And I have posted before maybe he gets a lot of attention because he has won 3 national championships!

Archived