SA City Council seals fate of SAS...

NickHolt

I agree with that....

TEXAS ENERGY . WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO A track closeing and staying closed .seeing that you are trying to build a track .sometimes it does not look good for you to agree or disagree with the outcome ..mainly the staying closed part ..i agree on some things you have said towards the closeing but some times it not what you should do ..i live where there are two great tracks in cc .and i would not take a side nore agree that one should close or stay closed .. now im sorry if im taken you wrong but what comes across from you sometimes is quit trying to get this track reopend ......have a good day ..

OK Let me clarify this one ,she agreed with the statement that "a stand alone track is not viable in business",she has never stated the local track should stay closed and even offered to sponsor races if it reopens,in earlier posts,so i hope that clarifies that for you.We have never been negative about SAS,open or closed!

That's what I understood

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I MISSED SOMETHING SOME WHERE .AND MY OPPOLIGY TO HER AND HIM .LIKE I SAID SOMETIMES YOU PUT THE LEFT FOOT WHERE YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT THE RIGHT FOOT ..

I'm sure thats ok. Its just all the salt in the air down there.

I MISSED SOMETHING SOME WHERE .AND MY OPPOLIGY TO HER AND HIM .LIKE I SAID SOMETIMES YOU PUT THE LEFT FOOT WHERE YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT THE RIGHT FOOT ..

Besides left foot? right foot? it doesn't matter when their in your mouth. :lol: I've had to pull mine out before too so believe me when I say it doesn't matter which one. ;)

It seems like she is just trying to be realistic.As far as her speaking up...seems like she is trying to be part of the racing community.As she and her significant other are trying to provide San Antonio with an outstanding racing facility for all types of racing,it only makes sense to try and fit in.My hope is that they were aware of the negative side of this community before they jumped in and that it doesn't deter them from proceeding with their plans.Oldtimer...the whole reason we have this opportunity is because she fall in love with the sport by watching it at SAS.Nobody on this forum has made any reasonable argument for reopening SAS.What I read just makes me shake my head and smile.It just makes for good reading during the week.People,please think real hard before posting anymore misinformation about SAS on here.Nick has explained exactly what transpired and why many times.

It is what it is......

Turbo,

No, I'm not use to all the negative attitudes.... I'm kinda learning what has happened in the past to alot of the drivers, companies and so on.... Over and Over I hear the Teague story,,, I would love to find the guy myself,,,, he has made such an impact to the racing community,,, its actually sucks for the normal and honest people....Everyone doesn't understand,, I use to go to SAS... I was a big fan there,, PaPa sent me the aerials and I get all weepy,,, today in a meeting the conversation came up and there goes the eyes watering,, I thought just last night,,, what could be done to take over the place and make something out of it due to memories...I try to understand everyones concerns,, but as a business person,, I like at business, not what someone did in the past.... But No I never knew what I was walking into,, with the attitudes of people.... Its getting better....I don't run......I do want to Thank Everyone who does support us....

Shelma

I'm sure thats ok. Its just all the salt in the air down there.

Besides left foot? right foot? it doesn't matter when their in your mouth. :lol: I've had to pull mine out before too so believe me when I say it doesn't matter which one. ;)

YEPPERS I JUST TRIED BOTH AND NIETHER ONE WAS MY FAVORITE .. BUT I WILL SAY THE RIGHT FOOT TASTED BETTER .. JUST NEEDS SOME SALT PEPPER AND ALITTLE MORE COOKING ...BBQ SAUCE ANYONE ..

the reason it has failed is over land value pure and simple do you think td offered that much money to operate a race track or to get turn around and sell it anyway . I rest my case or he might wanted to throw 2.5 mill plus for the upscale half mile there will be another track in our future I hpoe JMO "dollars and sense"

Spoke with the Owner of the land, spoke with the City Code Compliance Department, there were three items to fix 1. Regular maintenance of the septic tank. 2. Fix electrical problems. 3. Bring restrooms up to code. As I understand it there were several Companies, that were willing to donate time and material to bring these items up to code. THE REASON THE TRACK CLOSED WAS BECAUSE TERRY NO LONGER WANTED TO HANDLE IT. IF HE WAS LOSING SO MUCH MONEY - WHY DIDN'T HE GET OUT SOONER. IF YOU LOOK AT CAR COUNTS, ADMISSION CHARGES, THERE WAS NO WAY TO LOSE MONEY EXCEPT MISMANAGMENT.

Spoke with the Owner of the land, spoke with the City Code Compliance Department, there were three items to fix 1. Regular maintenance of the septic tank. 2. Fix electrical problems. 3. Bring restrooms up to code. As I understand it there were several Companies, that were willing to donate time and material to bring these items up to code. THE REASON THE TRACK CLOSED WAS BECAUSE TERRY NO LONGER WANTED TO HANDLE IT. IF HE WAS LOSING SO MUCH MONEY - WHY DIDN'T HE GET OUT SOONER. IF YOU LOOK AT CAR COUNTS, ADMISSION CHARGES, THERE WAS NO WAY TO LOSE MONEY EXCEPT MISMANAGMENT.

Except for being an occassional fan at SAS and a general interest in perserving and growing pavement racing in Texas, I don't really have a dog in this hunt.

I am not saying you are wrong, in fact you are probably right at least about somethings here. But businesses that are making money don't usually close without some pretty good reasons. We may not know what they are and we might not even have any business knowing what they are. As far as no way to lose money based on car counts and admission charges, I don't think we have enough information to make that judgement. You may have that information, but you didn't share it with us. If the facts bear out that it was mismanagement that closed the track, then why would anyone want this management to continue?

I am not sure who Terry is, but I'll venture a guess and say he/she was involved in the management of the track. One reason for a business owner not to close their business as soon as they start to lose money is that they have hopes that things will turn around either because of steps taken or just plain old wishing.

I hate to see any track close, but sometimes the best thing to do with lemons is to make lemonade.

Cherlobo,

If you're convinced that Terry Dickerson is using the code stuff as an excuse to close, why don't you take the bull (pun intended) by the horms and open SAS back up youself?

I'm sure the landowner would love to see some more lease money. And since re-opening would be such a piece of cake, I say "go for it, dude!"

Since you undoubtedly won't be putting capital to back up your authoritative statements, none of us will be holding our breath. It's really so much easier just to sit behind your phony screen name and bash Terry, right?

Nick

Cherlobo,

No one in his right mind would continue to lose money in any type of investment. If there were such companies who were willing to doante time etc. why didn't they step forward and say so? I'm sure there would have been other individulas who would have stepped up to manage the track and taken advantage of these offers. Sure we are all sad and bitter at the fact that SAS has finally closed it's gates. I'd give anything to race there one more time just because the last time I was on the track I didn't give it my all and now I never will have that chance to redeem myself there. We just have to accept it and stop pointing fingers. This is old news already.....we have a future track to look forward to...smile :D

IF YOU LOOK AT CAR COUNTS, ADMISSION CHARGES, THERE WAS NO WAY TO LOSE MONEY EXCEPT MISMANAGMENT.

No way to lose money??? You don't realize how many expenses are involved in running a race track much less when it's on rented land. If it was such a money maker than how come one group hasn't stuck with it? Management has bounced around a few times over the last decade. Why is that? I think because too much money was being lost, right?

Who's Cherlobo?

... IF HE WAS LOSING SO MUCH MONEY - WHY DIDN'T HE GET OUT SOONER. IF YOU LOOK AT CAR COUNTS, ADMISSION CHARGES, THERE WAS NO WAY TO LOSE MONEY EXCEPT MISMANAGMENT.

Given that the only way to not make money was mismanagement, then can we extrapolate that into the only reason you don't have the money to take over the track is your financial mismanagement.

Who the aich ee double hockey sticks are you? Are you certifiable?

You don't have to know him, you don't have to like him, you don't even have to respect him, but to make that statement is just flat asinine.

Get your checkbook out, spend 80-140 to bring everything up to code, spend another 10-25k a month on operating expenses, do some real marketing at 5-10 grand a month, bring your front and back gate revenue to the table, pay out your purses, and then keep that track open on those revenue #'s all while the owner is taking offers on the land, while rejecting your offers.

When you can do all that and make a profit at it, then come back on here with your dumb@$$ statements and I'll give you some credibility. I guess I might even apologize for calling you an ......., .. ...... , ......., ,,,,,$$.

never mind Nick- Self edited

I give Terry a lot of credit,he marketed the track more then it has been in years. From making money it doesn't take a math teacher to figure out he did not get rich from running the track,especially the past couple of years of having to pay sanction fees to Nascar every race,plus insurance and other expenses on top of that. You could look in the stands from the pits and tell there was a loss on more nights then there was a profit. I have seen tracks drop a class that had a better car count then the overall count that was there on a regular night, yes some of the classes were on a comeback finally. But why would you want to invest in something that you wouldn't own, would only have the lease for 3 to 4 more years and could probably have sold out from under you at any time?

YOU GUYS LISTEN UP ...IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT I COME UP WITH THE DUMB THINGS ON HERE TO SAY ,,ATLIEST BY SOME .LOL DO I DO THIS ON PURPOSE MAYBE ... BUT I HAVE TO SAY ..THIS POST HAS TO TAKE THE CASE ,, IT SHOULD GET THE CHAMPIONSHIP OVER ANY DUMB THINGS ANYONE HAS SAID .AND THAT SHOULD ALSO LET ME OFF THE HOOK ..LOL .OR IS THIER NO ONE THAT WILL AGREE WITH ME ..IF YOU DO AND DONT WANT TO LET YOUR FRIENDS KNOW YOU AGREE WITH ME ..ILL UNDERSTAND ... :D:D:D:D

YOU GUYS LISTEN UP ...IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT I COME UP WITH THE DUMB THINGS ON HERE TO SAY ,,ATLIEST BY SOME .LOL DO I DO THIS ON PURPOSE MAYBE ... BUT I HAVE TO SAY ..THIS POST HAS TO TAKE THE CASE ,, IT SHOULD GET THE CHAMPIONSHIP OVER ANY DUMB THINGS ANYONE HAS SAID .AND THAT SHOULD ALSO LET ME OFF THE HOOK ..LOL .OR IS THIER NO ONE THAT WILL AGREE WITH ME ..IF YOU DO AND DONT WANT TO LET YOUR FRIENDS KNOW YOU AGREE WITH ME ..ILL UNDERSTAND ... :D:D:D:D

Looks like noone wants to be seen agreeing w/ you. :D But I do. ;)

And then there's this: http://www.ksat.com/news/13568432/detail.html

I don't know how far that will be from the track, but I bet it's within range of a race motor on a Saturday night...

I believe that is the development going in on the other side of Watson Road. It will be just south of the track, and yes, racing engines would be within earshot of the homes.

$150,000 to 350,000 homes in that area....and a major hotel almost exactly across the street from the track................. as much as I would like to see SAS open, I will not hold my breath.

Archived