Hobby Stock Traveling Series

firemdk

Since there is a large pool of cars in the Thunder Stock and HMP Stock class we should all get together and put together a traveling series that will visit both tracks 5 or 6 races per year! Let me know your thoughts

Brent

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of seeing the Thunder Stocks at every race at THR. Having local classes with a big car count is something every track needs. Since the tracks run different nights I think having the rules the same would make more sence. That way if the Hobby/Thunder Stocks want to travel they could (both are 3/8 mile tracks). Right now THR is working on making the SAS car and THR cars more evenly matched. The Houston Hobbies are somewhere between the THR Hobbies & THR Supers.

I am going to put my 2 cents worth in and piss a lot of people off, so I will say sorry in advance. Those of us that drive Hobby Stocks, super stocks, grand stocks, or any budget class, do so because of the cost. I have fought this issue for years, as I was involved with the texas Outlaw Bomber Series, a traveling dirt series. If you look at other tracks across the country. They have common rules like everyone wants, but then they have budget classes like ours that don't fit rules for tracks further away. The reason for this, just like the reason the Houston Hobby Stocks are between Supers and Thunders, is because you look at what is already in the area. These guys can't afford to drive 200 miles to race for $300 and $25 to start. The tracks can't afford to pay them more because this class can't be paid more than the late models because that will cause problems with them.

What I am trying to say is traveling is for the higher classes, some of us will travel occasionally, but not every race. Like I said before, if we ran Street Stocks at HMP, we might get 1 or 2 cars each race for the season from THR, if we ran 1 or 2 races each season, we would get 10-15 cars like we did last year. I don't want to be negative, but I have done this before and it doesn't work. We were paid more than Modifieds when I traveled with the Outlaws, and it could not support itself. Drivers sold Limiteds and Modifieds and built Bombers to run with us, but the series went under a few years ago because of lack of funds.

It doesn't have to be about the money. We could make it by going out and finding the sponsorship dollars, they are out there. It should be about the competition. I like you arthur am going to appologize right now for my next comment. I get tired of going out and running against the same Huff cars that finish in the top 5 every race. I get tired of 2 sets of tech rules. I sat and watched tech the last time I was there. I watched the Huff cars that got tech'd after the race roll right on through with a weight check and that was it. I saw a non Huff car roll through tech and they were pulling the hood off and checking carbs. It's time to level the playing field. It's time to get some new blood in the class and to try and raise the level of competition in Houston. I'm not going to pay the money that we pay to run against cars that are running by a second set of rules. I know your going to argue that everyone is on the same field. That's fine, then at a random point determined by a third party, let each car be tech'd to the rule book. I think it would promote our sport to have a large field. Who wants to come out and watch the same 5 - 9 cars finish in the same order race after race. I compete and I get tired of it. Lets draw some new blood. Not for the money, but for the love of the competition, that's what we should be doing it for. To race against new people and to have maybe 20 cars on the starting line at any given time.

Like I mentioned, I know this is going to light somebodies fire and I appologize but I figured Arthur got to speak his mind, thought I would throw my 2 cents in also

This sort of discussions is exactly what this forum is about. A place to safely express your opinion about things that make a difference to the Texas racing community.

All we ask is that everyone refrain from bashing and keep things civil (along with several other guidelines) as you both are doing.

We all know that racing is a very emotional sport and that all parties involved spend a lot of time and money. We also know that racing promoters, track and series owners and sponsors read this forum on a regular basis -- all the more reason to keep it civil and bash-free!

Nick

This sort of discussions is exactly what this forum is about. A place to safely express your opinion about things that make a difference to the Texas racing community.

All we ask is that everyone refrain from bashing and keeping things civil (along with several other guidelines) as you both are doing.

We all know that racing is a very emotional sport and that all parties involved spend a lot of time and money. We also know that racing promoters, track and series owners and sponsors read this forum on a regular basis -- all the more reason to keep it civil and bash-free!

Nick

You are exactly right. Two differing opinions have been offered by two knowledgeble racers and they are BOTH right.

When I bought my race car back in the 70s the local track had done away with street stocks and late models and only ran semi late models. The obvious idea was that the better street stocks would move up and the lesser funded late models would move down to form one large class of competitive cars. I completely support an idea like that. However in reality, the late model guys either traveled if they could afford it or parked their cars if they couldn't. And only a few of the street stock guys could afford to make the changes needed to be competitive in the new class. The result was a not so large single class of not so well match cars and a lot of street stocks and late models being parked. So I bought a semi late model, who by virtue of starting on the pole, short feature and some hard driving won the feature in semi lates that night. I ran the car two weeks in that class. I continued to win NOT! In my first race, an 8 lap heat race I was lapped twice by the entire field, not just the leader. But I was getting laps in and by then the promoter had finally awakened to the fact that he had made a mistake. This promoter by the way was a legendary promoter with a track record of many successes. But a street stock class was on it's way and that is where I raced as soon as it was opened. In the meantime, we traveled (gas was much cheaper then) 120 miles to another track who had a $250 claimer on their street stocks. Well, we had paid $850 for this car and hadn't even paid it all off at that time and I wasn't about to let it be claimed for $250. But the pit steward insisted that he wouldn't allow anyone to claim us. They had a 2bbl rule and the only 2bbl we had was a 750cfm that we had borrowed. Not legal. Not only that, but it WOULDN"T RUN! A competitor came down and pitched a fit that our carb was illegal. They did allow 500cfm holley's but we didn't have one. The pit steward came back and asked if we had another carb. I said yes, but it was a 780 4bbl. He said put it on. I said if a 750 2bbl was causing such a stink, what made him think a 780 4bbl would work. He said, I told the other guy, I would make you change carbs, so just change it. That was the good news. Our car was running great with the 4bbl. We didn't win even though we were cheating, but we got some good learning laps in. And the promoter came and personally gave us tow money that we hadn't been promised and thanked us for coming to his track. After that we bought a 500 2bbl that worked EVEN BETTER than our 4bbl on our car and with a little more experience started winning some races.

The point is that when you are short cars, you sometimes have to make allowances that are not strictly by the book, but when it's all said and done fairer. Increased car count = increase purse = win win for all.

What do you guys think of a dedicated race for the street stock type of cars? It was suggested that the promoters can't pay the street stocks more than the late models and I think that is correct. So how about a once a month Sunday afternoon race for just the street stock type of cars? Only one class to pay and they get paid according to the crowd they draw. Each track promotes the races at the other tracks and vice versa. As Arthur pointed out, traveling cost is a real constraint for the budget classes, so once a month might be a compromise that all could benefit from.

I will say this in response to Brents tech comment,(no offense was taken) but last race, nobody was teched. There was no tech man. I am considered a Huff car, I have had my Carb torn down twice, rocker arms checked, and so on. The race I didn't finish in the top 3, they pumped all the motors(all crates, all Huffs). I know people think the Huff cars go by a different set of rules, the truth is, we build the cars by the rules. We help anyone that asks. The track does the teching, not the huffs. We do clarify the rules since we were the ones who created them, but there was also a commitee with non huff cars on it that made the final changes. Please know the facts, because all the Huff cars have been teched in the means of weighing, rocker arms, carburators, and pumping the motors. Not only teched by Randy, HMP's former tech man, but Jack from THR. I know you have a personal problem with them Brent, but you are now talking down HMP and questioning their credibility. I have openly told people that they can look at anything on my car. James has said the same. My car is not fast from Horsepower, but handling. You could see that my car gets pulled on the straights, but picks up ground in the corners. Now that I have crate motor, who knows whats going to happen. Brent, get your car together, bring me the scale numbers and set up info and let me look at it. I will help you out, make that car faster. I will help anyone out if they ask, you just might find out how little I actually know!!!

As for 2 set of tech rules, the other set is for another class, sorry to burst your bubble.

IM GOING TO START LOOSING WIEGHT AND TAKE MY APPLICATION AND TURN IT IN TO BE THE FIRST TROPHY GUY FOR HOOTER HOBBY CUP .HAVE TO BE THE FIRST PERSON TO GET A LEG UP ON THE REST OF YOU .

You had to go and ruin it. now there wont be anybody wanting to run the "H CUP".......lol

I am thinking this part of my reply might have gotten missed due to the first part of my previous post. Or perhaps there haven't been any comments because of a lack of interest. I'll post it again just to be sure. If nobody responds, I won't have my feelings hurt though.

What do you guys think of a dedicated race for the street stock type of cars? It was suggested that the promoters can't pay the street stocks more than the late models and I think that is correct. So how about a once a month Sunday afternoon race for just the street stock type of cars? Only one class to pay and they get paid according to the crowd they draw. Each track promotes the races at the other tracks and vice versa. As Arthur pointed out, traveling cost is a real constraint for the budget classes, so once a month might be a compromise that all could benefit from.

I agree with Speed Demon on this topic. For the most part, racers at the local level (hobby stock, street stock, grand stock) build a car to race at one track. Their budgets generally can't handle travel expenses. An occasional race at another track might by cool like our race at HMP last August, but a regular touring schedule should not be the norm. The tracks need their local classes to stay just that - local.

In the past, the paved tracks in Texas all had common rules for their classes. Drivers had the option of racing whatever track they wanted to. If on a particular Saturday they got rained out the drivers would just tow on to the next track. Some would race more than one night a week. Some never traveled. It worked

GREAT for everyone. The drivers liked it, the fans liked it, and the tracks liked it.

Then along came SAS, THR and HMP, each with its own set of independent rules. What a hell of a mess and what ashamed it is!

When I ran in California we also had the same set of rules for all the tracks. We'd take our car and run Saugus, Orange Show, Irwindale and Bakersfield on a regular basis. I don't think that everyone has the capability of doing it but for the ones that can, make the rules work for it.

the biggest difference between all three tracks within two hundred miles of each other is just the promoters getting together with the owner/drivers and make very minor changes to each tracks rules to make this happen. i don't think any one of these tracks are paying our classes enough because we can't pull ourselves together and have a bigger car count, if we, as a class of, hobby/ roadrunners/ pure/ pro/, what ever kind of dadgum stock cars they want to call them, would talk to our on promoter/ techman, and tell them what we would like to do, they might just listen. on the other hand, we can help our own class grow if we do the promoting in our class itself. just a question of thought, how many of you go out to different businesses each week, just to promote your class, not just your car? now while you are promoting your car/ class, do you promote the track also? our class at hmp is a young class, i would like to see 20+ cars each race that are home cars, but if that takes time to happen, it's not just the track that loses, they see no car count, they drop the class, if all these three tracks have short car count, wouldn't it benifit them to have cars that travel? if we as a group of hobby stock type cars would get together and amend our rules to accomodate each track, we all would benifit. i don't know about the rest of you but, i love racing and i am sure not in it for making money ( as if that could happen ), but if we don't do something, where are we going to have to drive just to race? promote your sponsors, your class, your track, and your self, thats what keeps us racing!!!

I will say this in response to Brents tech comment,(no offense was taken) but last race, nobody was teched. There was no tech man. I am considered a Huff car, I have had my Carb torn down twice, rocker arms checked, and so on. The race I didn't finish in the top 3, they pumped all the motors(all crates, all Huffs). I know people think the Huff cars go by a different set of rules, the truth is, we build the cars by the rules. We help anyone that asks. The track does the teching, not the huffs. We do clarify the rules since we were the ones who created them, but there was also a commitee with non huff cars on it that made the final changes. Please know the facts, because all the Huff cars have been teched in the means of weighing, rocker arms, carburators, and pumping the motors. Not only teched by Randy, HMP's former tech man, but Jack from THR. I know you have a personal problem with them Brent, but you are now talking down HMP and questioning their credibility. I have openly told people that they can look at anything on my car. James has said the same. My car is not fast from Horsepower, but handling. You could see that my car gets pulled on the straights, but picks up ground in the corners. Now that I have crate motor, who knows whats going to happen. Brent, get your car together, bring me the scale numbers and set up info and let me look at it. I will help you out, make that car faster. I will help anyone out if they ask, you just might find out how little I actually know!!!

As for 2 set of tech rules, the other set is for another class, sorry to burst your bubble.

I know way james car handling better the tech man has not fond it yet. :D

Archived