Will he make another race this season?

read somewhere napa's charging him for not making races now,something like 300k a race he has to return.Geez,if he has to pay for all the ones he's missed,that's a backwards CHA-CHING.Before long he'll be playing Sammy Allreds and the Geezinslaws song "My Pockets Got a Hole In It".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
read somewhere napa's charging him for not making races now,something like 300k a race he has to return.Geez,if he has to pay for all the ones he's missed,that's a backwards CHA-CHING.Before long he'll be playing Sammy Allreds and the Geezinslaws song "My Pockets Got a Hole In It".

$300,000.00 X 35 races = $10,800,000.00 :( OUCH!!!, my bad, I was thinking of his Aarons comercial pitch, YOU DO THE MATH!! :blink:

napa's air time on tv raceday has been cut way down by not having a car on the track.If he cant deliver it,they may have to find someone who can,or just buy the air time during the race like they do for the air time they are getting now.The car is a rolling billboard for Sunday and right now, as they say,it "aint" rolling on Sunday.The companies have people to watch replays of races and track every second the cars are shown on tv during a race and calculate that times the cost per minute to advertise on tv.They know at the end of the year how many hours their name/car was on the tube and how much that air time would of cost $$$ wise if they had of bought it.Not good for napa,and they sure aren't getting their $$$$'s worth.

napa knew they were taken a gamble on mike going over to toyota ..so they just have to take the bad with the good .mike has made them alot of money ..if mike had gone on to build a chevy team it may be better .... and im sure that most of the team he had building cars stayed with chevy .... then again i maybe way out in left field ..

napa knew they were taken a gamble on mike going over to toyota ..so they just have to take the bad with the good .mike has made them alot of money ..if mike had gone on to build a chevy team it may be better .... and im sure that most of the team he had building cars stayed with chevy .... then again i maybe way out in left field ..

I hate to say your out in left field, but think it's safe to say Toyota didn't cut corners during their entrance into the Cup series. There is a reason they started in the truck series and not in the Cup series. I've never seen the Waltrip Racing shop, but I feel pretty confident that it's state of the art.

As far as whether he would be in a better position if he stayed with chevy, I don't believe so. The only thing that saved his @ss over the years, was the fact that he would start the year off having the previous years owners points to carry him through the first five races.

In my opinion, MW will never again be in the top 35 in points unless he buys an existing team at the end of this year.

Call me crazy, but I believe NASCAR should eliminate the past champions provisional and have the top 20 qualify on time, then have a 50 lap shoot out for the remainder of the field right after the Bush race. Line them up the by their times, if there are 23 more, no need for the race. If 50 cars show up, 30 of them are in the qualifier, top 23 make the race. Bush/Qualifier race would be a combine ticket, this way they could eliminate the bush wackers from the Bush series and still draw a crowd. Plus this would give NAPA some track time and more time for commercial ads.

JMO It will never happen :D

I thought I read/heard somewhere they might have Bill Elliott race the 55 for a few races just to get it at least out of the negatives in points. Problem is though, I think he'd be needing the past champs provisonal, and he wouldn't make the race because Jarrett is the most recent champion between the two of them.

did i just see he didnt make it again?

Yeah - but you know, there's something wrong when 50 cars show up, 43 start, you qualify 38th, and you're going home....

These 5 were all faster than the slowest "qualifier"

44 36 Jeremy Mayfield Toyota 360 OTC 129.548 27.789 -0.749

45 55 Michael Waltrip Toyota NAPA Auto Parts 129.515 27.796 -0.756

46 37 John Andretti Dodge Camping World/ RVs.com 129.492 27.801 -0.761

47 83 Brian Vickers Toyota Red Bull 129.097 27.886 -0.846

48 84 A.J. Allmendinger* Toyota Red Bull 128.834 27.943 -0.903

This will probably be Dale Jarret's last race, no more champions provisionals.

Although there is a way to get NAPA back on the track:

Darrel Waltrip gets 6 champions provisionals

Bill Elliot gets 6 champions provisionals

Rusty Wallace gets 6 champions provisionals

Terry Labonte gets 6 champions provisionals

Richard Petty can take the last 4 champions provisionals

NAPA's back on the track.

GO MIKEY!!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Boy you guys are being pretty tough on Mikey, DJ and even DW. And most of what you are saying is just opinion, which you are all entitled to. And some of what you are saying in conflicting even. So let me just add my 2 cents or so in the mix.

Mikey was never in top equipment before DEI. He was in pretty good equipment and he did a good job with what he had. He almost won a few in a car that was almost good enough to win a few. Dale Sr. hired him to run the entire schedule at DEI, not just plate races. Are you a better judge of race driving talent than him? Not saying no one is, just pointing this out.

On one hand you are saying Mikey is either washed up or never has been and then you turn right around and say that Toyota didn't cut any corners. Well it can't really be both of those things. Starting a new team is tough even with tried and true equipment. Toyotas aren't getting the job done with anyone of their teams right now. They are pretty close though. They knew it was going to be tough at first because their teams didn't have any owners points to fall back on from last year to speak of, so when they weren't really fast out of the box, they were then killed with the 35/8 rule. I am not in anyway a Toyota fan, but I am a fan of Mikey's and of Blaney's.

A lot of people that are down on Mikey were down on him even when he was at DEI. And I'll bet a lot of people don't even know that he was a champion driver before he came to Cup racing and he got more help from Petty than he did from DW.

DJ? Not a big fan of his either, mostly because I am not a Ford fan. But he won first with Gibbs before Gibbs was a championship contender.

There are WAY more good drivers out there than there are good race cars and race teams, so I am going to cut them all a little slack.

Archived