tracks working together

97car

Maybe this will work it is a thread that show what 3 track are doing to encourage drivers to run multiple nights,this could be possible here in Texas also,think of it.Yes I know those 3 apparently are owned by the same guy,but it could work with cooperation.

The opportunity is there right know with the THR and SAS having so many off weekends. This does not need to be a Friday and Saturday show. Why not make it a show that allows you to run a Saturday in THR and the next Saturday at SAS. A new points system that would award drivers who make a showing at each track and even could award a champion based on this running. This could be a win for all parties involved; the tracks, the drivers and the audience.

Exactly what I've been sayin' all along................... in addition to the regular show, a big Hobby Stock race at HMP on one Saturday night, a big Super Stock race at THR the next Saturday, a big Late Model show at SAS the next Saturday and so on and so forth, with a multi-track points system.

Those that don't want to travel are free to stay home if they choose. It's up to them. Everybody wins!

See thats just it.. Wants to.. and Can.. Two very important words...

If they wanted to.. there would be 40 cars at last years HMS race. Octoberfast, and Spectacular... But there weren't.. can't see why without those leading indicators the tracks would invest so much time.. when there are so many other things to do.

Not to mention.. the $$ to run two tracks.. or even 3

it sounds real nice.................but who would pay the points fund on a special points system for those that ran both tracks? the tracks won't , they couldn't afford to without their own general points fund getting fractioned up.

- sorry , i'm cynical

I'll probably hear it for this one,but combine points funds with both tracks paying equal amounts into each and if they are staggering nights you could have a bigger pot to run for. If this equaled more cars and crowds then all could prosper and maybe the tracks down here could catch up with the pay scales that the midwest tracks have. The midwest tracks don't necessarily pay more to win weekly,but the paydown is a lot better,which helps explain some of their car counts also.

I'm not at all sure that the solution to the car count problem is to throw more money at the purses.

Look back (yes, I'm an old fart). Neil Upchurch ran the TIDA LM series without paying out a lot of money for the top finishing positions. And in those days there were full TIDA LM fields everywhere they ran. It wasn't until the purses were raised and the stakes became high enough for the top teams to take notice that things started to go south. When the "big boys" showed up the little guy couldn't complete with their high cubic horsebuck cars and slowly, but all too surely, they started dropping out.

With lower purses, the well-funded teams leave town and race where the purses are high. That gives those with limited resources a decent shot at winning since the high-dollar teams are off racing somewhere else.

Nick

Raise the purse, and there is always someone who will spend 10 times more to win. I have seen people spend thousands for a $500 to win show. We race for $250 to win, $50 to start. That weeds out some of the ones that would out spend you, and then come over and tear you up(drive like a maniac) to get that "BIG" purse. I think what everyone likes is consistancy, fair racing, clean racing, and honesty. Most of all, is fair competition. Noone likes to get beat by cubic dollars.

As for a Super late show, a larger purse is warranted, but spread it out across the board!!!!

Raise the purse, and there is always someone who will spend 10 times more to win. I have seen people spend thousands for a $500 to win show. We race for $250 to win, $50 to start. That weeds out some of the ones that would out spend you, and then come over and tear you up(drive like a maniac) to get that "BIG" purse. I think what everyone likes is consistancy, fair racing, clean racing, and honesty. Most of all, is fair competition. Noone likes to get beat by cubic dollars.

As for a Super late show, a larger purse is warranted, but spread it out across the board!!!!

WE have spent thousands to race for what money it pays .at our local track and TPS .i like the ideal of spreading more money down the line .that will help keep some of the other teams racen .you know 98 percent of racers and teams will still run just as hard to win a race even if it paid the same money to win as to finish 10 th .when sas and kyle paid $1000 to win .that did not make us want to win anymore than if it was $300 .moneys nice and ill take it every time they want to pay it . dont get me wrong we want to get money back .that always helps . it cost us five times as much to go race sas and kyle then it does to race here .we can win the race and still not make a dime or dent in what we have spent .so why do we do it .fun .we like the teams we race against in tps .yea we may get mad at some one and they at us .but it is short lived .we maynot like a rule .how many do . it .comes down to. we want to race . and go up against the best .The thrill of beating the best is more rewarding than takeing the money .

I'm not at all sure that the solution to the car count problem is to throw more money at the purses.

Look back (yes, I'm an old fart). Neil Upchurch ran the TIDA LM series without paying out a lot of money for the top finishing positions. And in those days there were full TIDA LM fields everywhere they ran. It wasn't until the purses were raised and the stakes became high enough for the top teams to take notice that things started to go south. When the "big boys" showed up the little guy couldn't complete with their high cubic horsebuck cars and slowly, but all too surely, they started dropping out.

With lower purses, the well-funded teams leave town and race where the purses are high. That gives those with limited resources a decent shot at winning since the high-dollar teams are off racing somewhere else.

Nick

I completely agree with you on this one Nick, although I beleive a Super Late Model series should be a "high dollar" series, big purses hurt alot of classes. I think one of the reasons there is no dirt latemodel class in Texas anymore is because modified purses are so good. Most of the dirt late model drivers dropped to a cheaper class with more high dollar shows in our area. I know it's different in other parts of the US. Imagine if Neil started paying Pro Sedans $5000 to win, I would be willing to bet that the series would expand for a year then the long time budget racers would leave for a more affordable class where they could compete.

[ Marvin: Back in the 10 years of the TIDA-LM Series and those 134 races, a typical purse was $10,000 to $12,000. The winners share was usually $1,000 to $1,500.

In several major events, ie: the TROC at TWS and several other major races, the field purse was $25,000 to $30,000. The winners share was $4,000 to $5,000.

In all races, all of the field was paid, whether or not they started the race. Also, all checks were in the mail within 1 or 2 days after the race and all were backed by sufficient funds.

As for the cost of TIDA-LM engines, we had four. High Compression, 9 1/2.1, V-6 and the Concept engine which used a 750 cfm Holley. To keep competition even, the other engines used a 390 cfm Holley.

I don't recall what the TIDA car owners paid for the engines. Obviously, the engines produced by "high dollar" engine builders cost more than engines built in their own shops.

Also bear in mind, all of this happened between 1988 and 1997.

Neil Upchurch

Former President

TIDA-LM Series

I think some of you speed read past what I meant,I did not mean raise the to win payout,I meant make it a little more worth while further back,what I see on most of the tracks that appear to be successful up north in Iowa is they do not drop below 100 until after 10th place in the mods. What I am saying is most of the purses down here do not help the remaing 10 cars make it back to the track weekly.

As long as you don't tear anything up or break anything the previous week, theres no reason it should take more than one evening of workin on the car for about three hours to change the rear gear, springs, shocks, and whatever else you may wanna change to go run a different track.

This was my point on changing the setups, when you think about it, as long as you didnt break something or wreck it doesnt take that long to change gears and springs... Take myself for example during the weekdays after work, since i get off at 5:30 I may have about 2-3 hours if I am lucky and the wife lets me to work on my car every night... So say on Monday I go change out the springs easily done in the time frame, and then at most Tuesday and lets say Thursday to change gears and I am ready to go by Friday at the other track... Not too difficult and even throw in a night off from the car for the wife... :) :) You do have to make sure you do have the parts, which I am willing to bet alot of the teams with cars have plenty of differnt springs and gears in their shops, since you almost have too incase you break something, or from tinkering around to begin with when trying to setup the cars from the start for your original track.. JMO

Exactly oldtimer, most everyone I am guessing have the parts neccessary to run multi tracks, it all comes down to how much they want to go play... I know alot of people are in this for money and in the lower classes I cant see that really being the reason, if it is your going to loose money plain and simple....

I am sure as hell not getting into this for the money, its about me wanting to go as fast as I can legally.. LoL And having a blast doing it.. If I win money great thats just a bonus to me... :) Like one of my freinds from on here told me: He could blow more money on beer in a weekend then what it cost him to go race (cost of building car not included).... Which is why I am going to do this... Ex: Take wife to Cowboys on a Friday and Saturday and blow easily almost 200$ or more and cant have our kids involved, or spend almost same amount, I am thinking less on Fuel and supplies to take my car to track and go have fun and have my kids able to watch and hopefully someday participate with me.... Oh yea and no hangovers the next day!!! Well atleast if I dont drink too much after the racing is over... LoL LoL

Archived