whats the latest on the USRA SLM

CC_RIDER

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems to be the way of the future so i guess we will have to adapt to it or just find something else to devote our time to..........but thats the great thing about our local auto racing.........you wont see a car on the local tracks unless the driver deserves to be there.........the local drivers either prove themselves worthy and attract a sponsor, pay for it out of their own pockets, or sit in the stands and watch the folks who can..........there isnt any giving a driver a ride because they are a certain race or gender..........little by little i am being turned off by the "new" na$car..........

NEW NA$CAR .Me too . dont think i watch a whole race all year .fell asleep to many times .every week same old poeple saying the same old things talking aboult the same few drivers .aboult the same fewthings that may happen .sounds like me .thats boring .to many big tracks .need more short tracks .maybe some dirt races to mix it up find out who the real drivers and teams are .tired of every lap those words come up .nextel championship points .starts with the first race and on ............. thank god i got that off my list to complain aboult . neeeeexxxxxt person please .

Seems like the guys with the high hp motors are going sit in the corner and watch others race to prove a point. If there are so many of these cars and teams why did they not show themselves last year. As someone else pointed out with the combination of light weight and reasonable hp the crates qualify fairly close to the same times. As was seen at the ASA race the racing is close. Is that not the way it is supposed to be, not just the well funded running away from the field. To brag how much hp you have and win in front of 8 cars is not much, but being a winner in front of 20-30 equally competitive cars thats a win. Give up, the economy in this part of the country is telling the racing community we cannot afford this type of car. The only way is to adapt and if that means crates or 2bbl so be it. Hell if you tell the people that are in the stands that they are latemodels and there is a good show. SO WHAT. The only problem is alot of the teams saved and scraped to buy or build competitve engines and now they are obsolete, I know that hurts. Do you guys think this type of equipment can only be run at the asphalt circle track. There is a huge market for these engines in drag cars, drag boats, hot rods, street cars, road racers,dirt late models etc. Yeah you may not get all of your money back, but do you ever. Also, just noticed that the crate late models can now run at SAS next year in the SAS latemodel class.

Back to Leilani for a moment if I may. Her driving talent for better or worse is not the issue here. What IS important is her VALUE to racing, and for people like her and Danica, their value is immeasurable. They represent the "bridge" to a never before tapped resource for racing.... THE YOUNG FEMALE RACE FAN ....

Lord knows we need new blood in the fan base of racing. These young women can and have opened those doors. That's what's so special about them. That's why we all need to support them. :)

Super Late Model racing is expensive. Generally, the purse cannot support the individual SLM racers.

USRA had a pretty good purse structure for SLM's in 2005 .. but unless you finished in the top 5 you lost money to race. But we raced for the fun of it, not the purse.

Maybe they should look at the Midwest ASA super late model series rules they seem to accomadate quite a few engine combinations,their rules don't look too bad other then typical asphalt racing rules which has too many rules anyway,oh yes other then the ABC body rule also.

Seems like most rules makers in Central Texas want to exclude motors and bodies and such... The 2006 revised USRA SLM rules are the only exception I know of - unfortunately they came out too late in the season...

To add to what Larry said, SLM owner/drivers aren't going to go and drop $6-7k on a crate, the work to accomodate it in the car and then change bodies as well without some kind of promise their will be places to race. One problem the SLMs have is that the tracks aren't begging for them.

From what I see on TXSZ, there's lots of FANS begging for them .. guess the tracks don't listen to the fans either...

Seems like the guys with the high hp motors are going sit in the corner and watch others race to prove a point.

No, we're letting them sit because no one has scheduled a race where our SLMs are legal.

I've got a brand new 9 to 1 engine ready to race. But seems people think I ought to sell it for half my cost, then buy a crate and make all the modifications to my car needed to run it so I can run "almost as fast" for a smaller purse. What I might do, though, is build a hot rod and put my motor in it and it'll scream and I can become a straight-liner .. and I'll get a lot more satisfaction from that than trying to convince people that I really do want to race my SLM not convert it to a "late model" .. that's why I bought it.

Tommy's right, it's all about the money, and not just for the girls and the minority drivers. Odds are that the bottom third of the Cup field and the bottom two-thirds of the Busch (What's it going to be in '08?) field are getting money from the drivers or their personal sponsors. Truck? Maybe 90 percent.

That's one reason I'll go to the short track on Saturday night, no matter where or who is running on TV.

the upper series(nascar) is all about the $. Lets take Jimmie Johnson for example:

bush series: middle of the pack team, middle of the pack finish,

cup series: best team money can buy, best finishes.

kyle busch and Martin Truex also fit this category.

Danica is in fairly good equipment, not always the finishes to prove it.

Her pretty face sells sponsors products.

Her attitude and results are not giving the team much hope for success.

I choose not to say much about Ms. Crocker, It might not be so pleasant.

Racer61-

I suspect that Danica's equipment, like Sarah Fisher's before her, was not as good as many people thought. Even though you are probably correct that she was as you said, "in fairly good equipment," that's not good enough to run up front.

On the other hand, despite all the rocks I've thrown at him over the years, Michael Andretti is pretty shrewd and seems to have put together enough sponsorship to put her in a good car. Let's see how it plays out, as Danica's record (particularly in Europe) shows she is a shoe.

It would be nice if we had a racing series in which the drivers had to do more driving; it's boring in NASCAR and in open wheel for the in-car sound to reveal they aren't even lifting all the way around the track...

heck i think if the nextel cup series had 50% shorttrack races in its schedule alot of those front runners wouldnt be able to find the front. Then the c.o.t. wouldnt be needed. Then nascar couldnt make the $$$ off of it... well i see why that wont work. :P:P

A little road racing look to it the same year as Toyota's entrance.....coinsidance....hmmm....consession's...nah not NA$CAR.After all,who whined most about a bigger car?...good ole Micheal Waltrip...and what brand is his new team running?...and how is it he can afford that?...in the fashion of the Dodge/Evernham duo.

Just thought I'd break out my spoon today.

Archived