One last run

Lonesome Ford

The Stock Car Spectacular at THR will be dad's last run in a SLM. He has decided to hang up the helmet after THR today. His career includes 6 stockcar championships & over 125 feature wins over 34 years. He wanted me to get the word out 'bout his last "hurrah". <sniffle> If you see him @ the track, maybe give him a "thatta boy".

-Jr

The Stock Car Spectacular at THR will be dad's last run in a SLM.

Damn, I hate to see this day, having watched the green 57 run since it was a green '58.

Let's hope for a great final run to close out a legendary career we will not soon forget.

Junior,

Thanks much for the heads up~!

And I agree with 97car--are you stepping into those 57 shoes?

Jr.,

I'm sure it was a tough decision for your dad to retire. He's been a landmark at SAS for so long. John has an impressive record and has been an awesome driver to watch over the years. I hope he doesn't find it too difficult being a spectator - wish him the best.

-an answer to the ? about me driving the car. Well, honestly if we could afford to keep running the SLM (and being competetive), dad would undoubtedly be our team's choice as the driver, but don't get me wrong.... I'd love to give it a shot B) . He just feels the time is right to change roles and 2007 will be as dad puts it "interesting" :)

heres the link: John Kelly retires

John,

Watching you race over the years has always been a pleasure. The Kelly's & Bendele's have always been my favorites (aside from my brothers) at SAS because you were always going to get a get show out of you guys. Enjoy your retirement and good luck to TEAM 57 in 2007!!!! Go kick some butt SAS style at THR.

I also hate for this to happen (inevitable though it is). I've been a Kelly (John & Pat) fan for many years, going back to the days when I was a kid dragging my dad out to Pan American. I still have a picture of one of the Kelly cars from that era.

(I also hate to see a Ford leave the track)

Please let us know how he finishes tonight.

thanX for being someone for me to admire growing up , and giving me the honor to call you friend today.

yea, the rearend broke. Dad said the car felt "funny" from the getgo. Not what he had in mind obviously, but when I asked him about it afterward he just gave me the "well, that's racin'" quote I've heard a thousand times before :) Man, it's really sinking in now.... :(

Dad also wanted me to thank everyone on here for their best wishes and promises that there will be #57s around in several classes for years to come :)

well, we hope to move forward with our 2 car RR team in 07 and dad will be involved. I'm sure he'll turn some laps though. We also have the trucks and a dirt modified and pure stock as well LOL so many hehehe. We have a lot of planning to do during the off-season, and I'm sure dad will make some starts in more than one class in 07.

just to say i met your dad 20 some odd years ago and every time i had a chance to talk with him he never pushed me are anyone aside . he always seemed to make time for you . and anytime he was on that track i pulled for him even my son would pull for him and didnt know him except through me .hate to see a great racer and person retire .but life does that to you .atliest he has yah now to cary on and he can be apart of it .and now im a fan of you .

Guest RandyBorlace

John Sr. is one of the best, but behind Jr. there is 2 more Kelly Boys that are going to tear up the tracks soon enough, I don't think you have seen the last of John Kelly.

Yes John is certainly an ICON in Texas racing. Not only is he a fierce competitor but, (more important in my eyes) one racer I don't mind my son looking up to.

Very Good Example for all racers.

Hope we will still see him around the track in the future.

Krauss Family

32 skadoo

Archived