Question .....

Jason

I see your point TD, but if there were say 30 cars I would expect more than 2 to be "competetive". What would it be like if 10 or 12 of those 30 were nose to tail, two wide, sluggin' it out for 125 laps? I personally will take that plus having to work though traffic....eeessh.

oh and Jason, I would personally like to see more mods at THR, but then again...I'm just me LOL B)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turbo- That has its pros and cons..... On the press release made Oct 2nd. They said "and more than 20 of the fire-breathing, high dollar machines are expected to be on hand this saturday". If you were going to the race, to see more than 20 cars in the race, you were mislead......

Shane,

Glad to see someone reads my press releases...

I wrote that one about a week before the event with the best information USRA had available at the time. As you know, USRA does not require pre-registration at their events and we rely on past history. etc.

There was no intent to mislead anyone as evidenced by our posting about practice car counts.

Nick

Turbo- That has its pros and cons..... On the press release made Oct 2nd. They said "and more than 20 of the fire-breathing, high dollar machines are expected to be on hand this saturday".  If you were going to the race, to see more than 20 cars in the race, you were mislead......

Shane,

Glad to see someone reads my press releases...

I wrote that one about a week before the event with the best information USRA had available at the time. As you know, USRA does not require pre-registration at their events and we rely on past history. etc.

There was no intent to mislead anyone as evidenced by our posting about practice car counts.

Nick

Does that mean there really not fire-breathing too?

Just showing a different view to Turbo, not saying Im right or he's wrong just different ways fans may look at the car count.

thanX nick again for letting us vent or play or vent..........can we do it again tomorrow?

i would almost guarantee a 'MOST USERS EVER ONLINE AT ONE TIME!' update for this date. :lol:

Nick....is this the busiest you have ever been on this forum after a weekend of racing?Some of our posts have to be making your edit finger ich. B)

Actually, the vast majority have behaved quite well. Of course, there are a few who always try to stink things up..

Nick

Can anyone say a 1 day show instead of a 2 day show? Can anyone say lower purse than years past? Why are we speculating why Octoberfast is no longer the premier Texas asphalt event?

Jason, I think your thread has been hijacked.

The crowd for this year's show, was what we maybe use to get for the show on Friday's, at least for the first five years of October'fast'. Saturday's show, you couldn't find a place to sit and everyone loved coming to SAS, because the big crowd in the stands, including the out of towners. I think it's downfall started when Bill Hallgund left SAS. Had it kept strong, it would have probably been one of the premier post season events in the Southeast. Now there are a lot more big shows than in the past and need to find a date that will be good enough to get more racers to show up, where there is no conflict with the other dates. Both THR(Spectacular) and SAS(October'fast') attracted over 30 SLM's, THR were more locals and regulars making the show and SAS had at least 10 cars from out of state. There was a lot of positive things this year though and I hope this is the beginning in the right direction, where this will build momentum for next year.

HELL IF CAR COUNTS DON'T MATTER...JUST LET THE THREE FAST USRA LATE MODELS RUN A TEN LAPPER BY THEMSELVES AND BE DONE WITH IT!!

125 LAPS WITH 9 CARS IS PATHETIC!!!!

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE SOON

HILLBILLIES AND HOODLUMS FIGHTING IN THE PITS AND ON THE TRACK IS OLD SCHOOL

AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED SEVERLY OR IT WILL NEVER CEASE

GREAT JOB TERRY!!!!

Now nick - this is really noit a bash or anything. But did USRA not require anything?

They took their rides into the track, unloaded, practiced, and qualified. There was NO teching - heck - there was not even officials on the track when the 42 forced 28 out in the truck race.....notice the crowd leavin the stands then?

I'll agree - USRA really needs the help. I was actually sorry that someone had TD apologize to Bexar Deputies for not doing their job. They saw what we saw - and didn't do their job - everything else would have been fine. What a night for kids to see that ANYTHING goes in a competition. Sad. :( Sorry, but had to say it. The stands were happy to see TD try to make em do their jobs and protect both the fans in the stands which ended up with white powder all over em and the crews in the pits that were in the line of fire!

JMO and hope Nick don't edit this. Wish more fans from that night knew about this sppedzone - they'd be saying the same thing.

Kudos to TD for trying! Sorry his hired employees didn['t seem to back him!

gb :angry:

why was the driver of the 71 refered to as a coward for not pressing charges?? and that was during terry's speech to the fans? i don't think that was very professional of a promoter to speak of a driver to fans and possible 1 st time visitors, i've raced lots of laps side by side with bruce and he 's not one that i would worry about wrecking me on purpose. congrats on the third place finish in the TAMS HOGG chassis

JMO and hope Nick don't edit this. Wish more fans from that night knew about this sppedzone - they'd be saying the same thing.

GB,

There is always more than one perspective on anything racing related. Some folks think USRA is doing a fine job - some don't. Some like Shawn Paul Lehman - some don't. Some appreciate what they have here on TXSZ - some don't.

But as long as folks abide by the rules on TXSZ I'm fine with varied opinions such as yours (which came about as close to a bash as I allow, by the way) or others, whether I personally agree with them or not.

Regarding folks not knowing about TXSZ, we have a billboard on the SAS front straight (right by the start finish line). The SAS announcer tells the folks about it at least once a night. We help sponsor certain USRA races. We have our logo and address on SAS/USRA ads and flyers. Numerous racing websites across the country have our logo and link. Even a few race cars have put TXSZ decals on their cars which they had made themselves!

Not sure what more I can do to get the word out about TXSZ. Got some ideas?

Nick

Well I for one have made two trips to the San Antonio speedway the race in March and the race Saturday night.

I was recently transfered from California and enjoy racing

Enjoyed both shows -

I know the car count was larger in the SLM class in March seems like there were about 15 cars than the other night but San Antonio is no different than Irwindale or Phoenix local tracks experience and it seems that at the season end either race teams or out of money or their equipment is torn up and are starting to regroup for the next season.

I learned about this website from the announcer

I am impressed by the superior handling of Casey's car and was wondering if I could get some imput on what Chassis most of the racers in the latemodel class around here are running. I spoke with a nice lady at "Hamke" race cars today and she was very well aware of Casey spoke very highly of him and assured me there was no "Magic" in his chassis said they are all the same, and they provide set up sheets. Do you think it makes a difference which chassis you run. I know in California Victory Circle chassis are BIG. Just curious.

racedude,

When I first started out the Howe Chassis or the Stock Car Products chassis were the only way to go. Since then dozens of chassis builders have built on their designs, either making improvements or messing things up a bit. Does anyone remember when you had to have a zero scrub front end with huge KPIs? Or the high caster gain front end geometry?

These days its all about anti-dive on the rf and pro-dive on the left front, all kinds of worries about lateral roll centers and who can come up with the biggest front suspension travel with the least amount of geometry problems.

The safest bet has always been to run whatever the front runner(s) is running unless you have a nice financial deal with a rival chassis builder.

Nick

Wow i was really suprized that USRA only had a hand full of drivers in late model division. I really wish that USRA would expand the tracks that they run on like Red River Speedway and Altus Speedway. With USRA just running the tracks down south there are some drivers up north of the state that would run some of the runs USRA Series. Its been a long time since Romco raced in Altus, Oklahoma. Now since our 1/2 mile track got shut down our 3/8 mile track been repaved and racing has been better than ever. Our last USLMA race we had 24 cars show up and they put on one hell of a show. I really wish USRA would come back to Oklahoma someday and im sure they might get alot more drivers because there is alot of Oklahoma Drivers that race in USLMA.

Archived