CC Speedway

Sanders

Fullview you are right . That is Bill Garnett inthe #32 Nook Salge in the #66 and Freddie Barnec in the # 50. In the picture with the #6 backwards is Scotty Rabalais in Nooks backup car. They would pull black tape off the door to reveal another 6. Driving the #78 is Tommy Cantonwine .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom, some of us are still waiting for that pic at Longhorn of Slick. and any others of course.

I haven't forgotten it, just can't find them right now. I had to take apart my race/hobby room to make room for a

yo-yo kid, and haven't been able to get organized in the 2 or 3 square feet my wife alloted me in the guest room.

I'll get a couple up soon.

Brad posting at 10:26 PM?

Way past your last baba for the night.

Or did you wake up to change your youth pull-up and got on the internet while you were at it?

See ya friday or Saturday.

Need new coloring books?

Alright, Corpus guys,

I found a couple pics for ya'll.

I will apologize ahead of time for my scanner, it is crap.

The first one here is the 24 of Slick at Longhorn. Remember the pipe wall?

This is either 81 or 82, Slick won the Championships both years. These were the 2 barrell late model years under the sanction of the "Capitol Area Racing Association".

This is the car that is the rear shot at TWS.

post-30-1143775167_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Crap, I remember that 99 Rick Rapp car at SAS, not bad considering I was only three when that pic was taken. I also have that #74 "Dirt" Car that ran at CC. I believe that is the car that my dad tells me about when CC didn't think a dirt car would run well there so they let it run and I believe he lapped up to third place. Then again, my dad's memory isn't always that clear. One of these days, I'll have to go through our pictures and post some up here. I always enjoy seeing these photos, brings back not only memories of mine, but of my father when he was a kid too.

Holy Crap, I remember that 99 Rick Rapp car at SAS, not bad considering I was only three when that pic was taken. I also have that #74 "Dirt" Car that ran at CC. I believe that is the car that my dad tells me about when CC didn't think a dirt car would run well there so they let it run and I believe he lapped up to third place. Then again, my dad's memory isn't always that clear. One of these days, I'll have to go through our pictures and post some up here. I always enjoy seeing these photos, brings back not only memories of mine, but of my father when he was a kid too.

YOU are correct that dirt car was on rails i was standing with bob labonty .when terry and rick got together terry lost a rear tire and was out of the race . i looked at bob .and he told me he and terry would never come and race at cc again.

• 4 weeks later...

ITS NICE TO SEE FRANK HOCH AND WALTER .FRANK WOULD HIT YOU IF YOU STOOD TO CLOSE WILE HE SPOKE COULDNT STAND STILL .WALTER ALWAYS TRIED TO RIDE WHEELIES ON HIS BIKE .SUCH A FIGURE IN CC WHEN HE PAST AWAY tHE CHRISMAS STAR ON THE CITY TREE DOWN TOWN WAS NAMED AFTER HIM .HIS FAVORIT DRIVER WAS TERRY LABONTY. KEPT THE PITURES HE HAD OF TERRY AT THE BALL PARK FOR EVERONE TO SEE .

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That is Lawrence in the # 17 at Texas world speedway.In those older photos above I believe that # 32 is the Late Bill Garnett and the # 66 is Nook Salgee if the spelling is correct.Freddie Barnec also drove the # 50 Car for a while but most of the time he drove the orange # 99.

Was the #32 Car/Driver from Aransas Pass? I vaguely recall a somewhat similiar appearing car from my one trip to CC in '66.

• 2 weeks later...

YOU are correct that dirt car was on rails i was standing with bob labonty .when terry and rick got together terry lost a rear tire and was out of the race . i looked at bob .and he told me he and terry would never come and race at cc again.

can anyone remember who beat terry labonte in a bounty race at cudahy speedway in the mid to late 70s?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got some pictures of Monty Nichols' car back in 1979 or 1978. Somebody please post some I remember seeing him when I was about 10 and man was he bad. My dad is always mentioning him about how good he was or is. After reading all these forums I'm surprised nobody has ever mentioned him. Does anybody know what he's up to, does he still have his cars, or is he racing again, I don't recall him racing in the 80's. Please give me some info.

That is the only one I have of that particular car, but I have a couple more of an accident he was involved in at San Antonio in 1978. Click this link:

Nichols

There are a couple more in this group of Nichols in the same incident. Click where it says "Thumbnails" to see more images.

As far as what he is doing, I think his son Monte III has a sport mod he races at South Texas Speedway in CC.

Thanks for the picture Txtom and the info, we were just sitting down here talking about the races from the late 70's and the picture brings back alot of memories. One thing I don't get is how was Slick track champion in SA if he was racing in CC that year or would he just race in CC once in a while.

Or maybe that Hwy 16 championship was just one race.

Slick ran most, if not all, of the races San Antonio held in 1979. I don't remember if there were off nights for the late models, or mayve a rainout or two.

But he was there as many as many nights as I remember.

He was also part of a great finish Labor Day weekend that year.

Slick was leading Freddy Fryar late in the race, and on the backstretch on the white flag lap, Freddy went low, made the pass, and promptly dropped a valve going into three. He shoved the clutch in, made the car wide to keep Slick behind him, and then stabbed the throttle off turn 4 to beat Slick to the checkers. About then, the sick engine unloaded and he ended up in turn 1 on fire. Everyone in the place was on their feet over that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived