More PAS

see86go

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
And Darrell Godferson

Racer Jim, love this photo of Darrell's Pontiac. Somewhere. I've got one of him where the entire car is white with only the #3 painted on the sides and roof. I'll try and find the photo and post it. Thanks for sharing this photo.

Take note of Harold Oatman's car (#50) in the picture above. I believe this is the car that is in the photo Nathan asked about in the post "Who is on the car?". In that discussion it is more or less decided that the driver is Bubba Storbeck, in car 55. When you compare that car to this one, the main features, with the exception of the white accents and the numbers, are identical to this one. One obvious similarity is the L88 hood scoop.

Take note of Harold Oatman's car (#50) in the picture above. I believe this is the car that is in the photo Nathan asked about in the post "Who is on the car?". In that discussion it is more or less decided that the driver is Bubba Storbeck, in car 55. When you compare that car to this one, the main features, with the exception of the white accents and the numbers, are identical to this one. One obvious similarity is the L88 hood scoop.

you are correct Bobby. We decided that the car was driven by Storbeck and the crew chief was Harold. So that it is the same car just with Storbeck driving with a 55 on the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cool one guys/girls. Not sure of the date, but I do know it's taken at Pan Am. It's Teddy Jones in the familiar Chevy convertible #66. Don't know why the gal is sittin' shotgun - maybe they were giving rides that night - I can recall when that was okay to do. Not today, too much liability involved....

post-4758-1186021117_thumb.jpg

What a great photo! I believe the "fan races" were originally run with Super Stocks for the first season or two. 6 tickets would be drawn just before intermission and 6 fans would get to ride shotgun in a short race.

Here's a cool one guys/girls. Not sure of the date, but I do know it's taken at Pan Am. It's Teddy Jones in the familiar Chevy convertible #66. Don't know why the gal is sittin' shotgun - maybe they were giving rides that night - I can recall when that was okay to do. Not today, too much liability involved....

I think that is a "fan race" photo. I notice the lady is wearing a helmet, which would make sense for a "fan race".

As far as fan rides, I remember that every so often PAS would hold a "kid's ride" night - racers would line up on the front stretch, kids would hop down into the cars, and ride a (slow) lap with one of the racers. I got to ride once with Ed Sczech - Harold Oatman was always my favorite (since my brother "Bobby" crewed for him), but Ed became my second-favorite after that "kid's ride"! I'd like to see more tracks do kid's rides - that would really build interest.

Nice to see the convertibles getting some space here - I always thought they looked neat as race cars.

That's right Texassprd - there were nights when kids could ride with their favorite drivers. The first time I ever did it was with Bubba Storbeck in his '57 Chevy.....it was the thrill of my youthful life (I was only 9 years old). I remember how loud it was (back then they ran open headers) and I can recall the gravel being spit from their Indy like tires. I've even got a photo of myself (I'm in the red, white and blue striped shirt) and my twin brother (blue shirt) anxiously climbing on board the 02 of Leroy Brooks (he was our childhood and lifelong hero) with our childhood friend Spencer Stewart. The photo itself is not the greatest as it was taken by my mother using an "Instamatic" camera and one of his crew members, Billy Echols is actually the one behind the wheel - but imagine the fun we had as kids riding in the awesome rides. The sound - the smell - it was like being in heaven.

post-4758-1186367376_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived