Tires

Lonesome Ford

I don't think Terry has made a final decision yet. I heard him talking to Tom Lorenz (Hoosier) today about there latest proposal and I understand that he is still talking to American Racer about it too.

We are not trying to keep this a secret. It's just that the negotiations are continuing at the present time. Terry told me today that he will announce the final decision the day it is made.

Nick Holt

If you'll pay close attention to the vendor's publicity photo, both the SLM slick and the Hobby/RoadRunner treaded tires are featured in this photo. The slicks are cleverly disguised as a "spare," and mounted on the new "XYZ" body "running board" template that USRA is going to in 2007.

The treaded tire is visible on the LF of the new USRA 2007 chassis and has the trick camber set up for Thunder Hill already dialed in.

Nick Holt

yep.......and while we're at it let's go back to leather helmets , white wife beater shirts , and wing tips.....

pipe railing for walls.........tractors for tow trucks.............stock fuel tanks...........bailing wire holding the stock doors closed...........promoters that wear big cowboy hats and talk like preachers (opps).

You remember Terry D was talking about having a dirt track obstacle course built in the infield... Now we know who he's planning on having race on the course...

I sure hate being the step child in this thing... :D I'm j/k don't send me hate mail...

Is there still a big push to get us to run on American Racer tires? Since we will run with The Mods, will it make a difference?

If we do go to the American Racer tires, they should stamp all of our existing tires at the 1st race we attend and let us run them this season, until they're used up. JMO.... It would sure help the budget having 4 sets (mostly used) in stock. I mean the American Racer tires should be faster anyhow right?

Jr.

While on the subject of tires....Why are they so THIN? Why dont they put more rubber on the contact surface? Wouldnt they last longer? What am I missing here? :huh:

The reason that racing slicks have a certain tread thickness is because racing tires require a certain "slip angle" in order to behave predictably.

Not going to bore you with the details, but basically, the tire is actually steered at a steeper angle than the tire contact patch is headed. The difference between the angle of the tread and the angle of the rest of the tire is called the slip angle.

Nick Holt

When are we going to know something about the tire situation?

I just got off the phone with Terry who is up north freezing his butt off in the ice and snow and he tells me that the tire deal is to be signed on Tuesday.

Nick Holt

Archived