Grand Stock Rules

CommonSenseRacing

I dont think they have a way to check everyone's credentials on how much experience they have to run in what would ultimately be the starter class... I am pretty sure they (the track) would like spend their time getting all the cars they can weither they are experienced or not vs. trying to do some kind of background check to see if you have racing experience... When they start getting 20-30 cars on the track then they might thin it out if someone is winning all the time by claiming thier car... Thats how I see it...JMHO

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think they have a way to check everyone's credentials on how much experience they have to run in what would ultimately be the starter class... I am pretty sure they (the track) would like spend their time getting all the cars they can weither they are experienced or not vs. trying to do some kind of background check to see if you have racing experience... When they start getting 20-30 cars on the track then they might thin it out if someone is winning all the time by claiming thier car... Thats how I see it...JMHO

That's pretty much the way it is, Marc. Like the rules say, it's intended (not required, not mandated, not set in stone) as an entry level division.

Nick

Guest bigfat

Nick,

So do you think that if you are doing well and that it's apparent that you didn't spend over $800 to $1000 dollars on your car and that you had never been on a race track before in your life, except when the Jeep Jamboree Club got to make a lap way back in 87', that the track wouldn't claim your ride. Just asking what you think. Not going to use it in a court of law later.

I guess a better way to ask the question would be: The track being able to claim the car is only going to be used on cars that A. went way overboard on $$ to build it or B. has an over experienced driver in it???

I'm asking because I really want to race. I just don't want to get all of this together and not have a car to race the very next week because the track claimed it. Someone else claiming the car would be great. I'd take the $500 and their car and then just claim mine back the next time they finished in the top 3 with my ride while driving their car to a top 4 or worse and being on the lead lap.

Once again, the track is not setting any absolute limits on prior experience in the Grand Class. But we are indeed trying to get new blood involved in the sport and there wouldn't be much incentive for someone sitting in the stands to build a Grand Stock if Greg Davidson or Tommy Grimes or Terry Labonte is out their in their Lefthander-built Grand Stock lapping the field race after race.

We're trying to make it a fun class for those who want to put together a true stock car and have a go. We don't want it to become a class where someone totally outclasses the rest of us who just want to have some fun.

So, if there's a Grand Stock that is obviously much faster than the rest and it is apparent to track officials that the car is a "ringer," we are counting on someone claiming the thing. If not, the track will probably claim it and auction it off to keep the thing from stinking up the show.

Does the track intend to claim many cars? Nope. In fact, we hope we don't have to claim any cars whatsoever. But we do intend to keep the Grand Stocks a fun, inexpensive, entry-level class.

Nick Holt

Guest RandyBorlace

I got a question, i found a 4 door chevelle caged for 100$, i also found an oldsmobile that runs for 80$ i want to put the olds engine and trans in, but since the vin #'s match up, how can i do this? maybe put the vin #'s off of the olds on the chevelle or what? :blink::blink: if not, i will rebuild the engine from my truck and put it in, but the #'s still wont match the vin #'s on the chevelle, if it even has em, its an OLD bomber car from the early 90's its not gutted but i will have to put the oldsmobile fenders and hood on it, as it has none, how can i do this and still be "legal"?

I got a question, i found a 4 door chevelle caged for 100$, i also found an oldsmobile that runs for 80$ i want to put the olds engine and trans in, but since the vin #'s match up, how can i do this? maybe put the vin #'s off of the olds on the chevelle or what? :blink::blink: if not, i will rebuild the engine from my truck and put it in, but the #'s still wont match the vin #'s on the chevelle, if it even has em, its an OLD bomber car from the early 90's its not gutted but i will have to put the oldsmobile fenders and hood on it, as it has none, how can i do this and still be "legal"?

Better call Wayne Norrell on that one, Randy.

Nick Holt

Well Nick, since i dont have Wayne's #, how about tomorrow if you talk to him, have him call me, at 210 823 8962. thanks.

Randy, I may not see Wayne for a few days. Here's his cell number. 210-825-9531.

Nick Holt

Once again, the track is not setting any absolute limits on prior experience in the Grand Class. But we are indeed trying to get new blood involved in the sport and there wouldn't be much incentive for someone sitting in the stands to build a Grand Stock if Greg Davidson or Tommy Grimes or Terry Labonte is out their in their Lefthander-built Grand Stock lapping the field race after race.

We're trying to make it a fun class for those who want to put together a true stock car and have a go. We don't want it to become a class where someone totally outclasses the rest of us who just want to have some fun.

So, if there's a Grand Stock that is obviously much faster than the rest and it is apparent to track officials that the car is a "ringer," we are counting on someone claiming the thing. If not, the track will probably claim it and auction it off to keep the thing from stinking up the show.

Does the track intend to claim many cars? Nope. In fact, we hope we don't have to claim any cars whatsoever. But we do intend to keep the Grand Stocks a fun, inexpensive, entry-level class.

Nick Holt

I'm not talking about experienced drivers. I'm talking about new bs, such as myself. What if, by sheer luck and/or determination ,a new b runs away with a couple of races with a car that isn't a " lefthander-built Grand Stock "? Will that car be safe from the track? Or could the track give one of the other drivers the cash to claim it so the driver that had fun and won a couple of races and was as happy and as proud as he could be wouldn't have to do without a car the next week and then wind up drinking himself into a coma from the depression and agony that is surely to follow. Every one is all for having fun I'm sure. But it sure would be fun to win a couple of races and not have to worry about the track taking your car from you. The other driver scenario is great. You'd have $500 and another car. The track scenario I no likey(don't like)

Post Script,

Am I going to be the 1st car that is claimed by the track for *&^%^$%* so much????? :unsure:

If you are looking for a guarantee that the track will not claim any Grand Stock cars, you can stop looking right now because that rule is in there for a purpose - to prevent any "ringers" from stinking up the fun for the rest of us. If you can pass tech and still win, that's OK. If you lap the field week after week that's not OK. We just don't want people who are interested in getting into racing via this entry level class to be so completely outclassed and outspent that they don't stand a chance.

Also, the track will not be funding anybody's claim of a Grand Stock. We are pretty sure that we will never have to claim a car because more than likely one of your competitors will claim your car if it is obviosly better than theirs.

Just for fun, take your scenario one step further. Suppose you win one week and someone claims your car and you jump in their car and win the following week. Wouldn't that be pretty cool?

Nick Holt

I can't promise you anything on the outclassed part but I can assure you they won't be outspent :lol:

When someone claims my car and I get my $500 and their car. The 1st thing I'm going to do before claiming my car back is to paint theirs Flourescent Pink. Then I'll wait for the retaliation spray paint job on mine. :D This is going to be some kinda fun.

That winning in their car thing sounds like a sheet load of fun. You do have to finish a race to witn it right? That might be a problem. I can't wait til March.

" Damn this Berg is jumpin' " Tombstone.

are radios allowed and will we be able to take them with us if our car gets claimed?

The only radios allowed are the AM-FM radios that came with the car. I guess you could leave the CD player in too if you wanted to. No two way radios allowed. And no data aquisition systems or traction control either... LOL

Nick Holt

That's precisely the ones I was talking about nick. The AM/FM. It does have a 1000 watt amp and 2 10" subs in it. Not very stock for a 79' Caprice Classic. But will I be able to take them with me if my car gets claimed. B)

That's precisely the ones I was talking about nick. The AM/FM. It does have a 1000 watt amp and 2 10" subs in it. Not very stock for a 79' Caprice Classic. But will I be able to take them with me if my car gets claimed. B)

Well... OK then.. But wait! What if removing the sound system reveals the Nitrous system you have hidden in there?

Nick Holt

With some creative baffles I'll bet those subs would be capable of generating some additional downforce.. Don't forget the nasty DB meter, it can't tell the difference between exhaust and music..

I'll need an 8 track that has a song on it with a lot of bass. The only 8 tracks I have are Johnny Cash, Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb and which ever one has that Leader of The Pack song on it. The names been scrapped off since I was 13.

Archived