Grand Stock Rules

CommonSenseRacing

If you were to build a car for this class why would you need to buy gauges. Everycar I've driven usually has all the basics taken care of except of course for maybe a tach. Do you have to pull out all of the old guages, or even the radio for that matter? Does the car have to have a removable steering wheel or can we use the one in the car when we bought it? The rules don't say anything about this. Can it bee a front wheel drive car? I just don't want to show up at the track with all my original guages, a non removable steering wheel, and whatever else I may have kept and be told that my car can't race. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I need to to do this car for them to let me race it.

To bad they won't let me race a truck, now that is what I would like to race. Does anybody have any answers, I am assuming that if its not stated in the rules than its legal, of course to a certain extent. I've been on a pit crew for a couple of years now and i really want to race, now they have a class I can afford for the time being, in a few years I would like to move up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there should be any restrictions based on experience ....I have had some of the most fun racing in a bomber, pure, cruiser...or any other old beater I could abuse and not worry about how much it would cost if something broke or got bent... :D Drive It Like You Stole It !

I thought I would share a couple of points I after reading this thread. 1. If you plan on spending $1000 total to build a racecar and you only spend $800 due to the claim rule, spend your money on making the car safe first. If the last $200 you were going to spend was for safety then you have your priorities mixed up. 2. Any brand new racecar will depreciate 25% - 50% the first time it is raced. It is only worth what someone will give you for it, not how much you "invested" in it.

Nick in that call.. to TD.. any idea on purse structure?

How much is the winner racing for?

$150 to win?

At some point the 2006 purse structure will be published. At this piont, we're pretty much focused on the 2006 rules and 2006 schedule.

Nick Holt

I will be building a Grand Stock for my sons to drive and have the same thoughts about the money. my first thought is building the car as safe as possible. not counting labor, the cost of the car or the cage it seems hard to keep it under or at $800. If SAS feels that strong about the rules they set. i would like to see them build a Grand Stock, and be honest about the coast. I know the rule was put in place to keep people going wild with engines a stuff, which is good, but i think safety was over looked.

IN NO WAY IS THIS A BASH OR PUT DOWN TO SAS OR ITS OFFICALS

Commonsence,

I rand the car at kyle San Antonio and corpus, never had a problem the car is still running i have never had a problem matter afact do you wanna buy it ill sell it to you for $300 and you can quit complaining. it will run for ever just let me know if you wanna buy it you can pm and let me know

I rand the car at kyle San Antonio and corpus, never had a problem the car is still running i have never had a problem matter afact do you wanna buy it ill sell it to you for $300 and you can quit complaining. it will run for ever just let me know if you wanna buy it you can pm and let me know

First, I never complain, I ask questions that I feel are important to subjects that I am unclear about. When people answer my question logically, I drop it. If you have read some of my post, you would see if I was wrong or misquote someone I always apologized. My original question was geared toward building a safe car for under $800. I didn’t say it couldn’t be done, I just said that I didn’t think I could do it. Also, I stated that I was in no way detracting from the rules or the people who wrote them.

Regarding your car, why sell it to me for $300, my suggestion is to bring it to the track and let someone claim it if it is such a good car. Pocket that extra $500 for yourself. :D

Guest bigfat

Nick,

Any findings yet on the extra cash, if any, on a car that the track claims and is auctioned off?

Also, will the track be building a couple of cars to be purchased by the drivers of the cars that is claimed by the track?? Or does dude just have to wait til the track claims another one and bid on it or rebuild him another one with the $800 from the track?

Mine will be under construction soon. Can't wait to finally go to the track and do more than fill up a fuel cell, roll out tires, check air pressures, tire temps, change tires etc. :lol:

Not that it's not a blast in itself.

Nick,

Any findings yet on the extra cash, if any, on a car that the track claims and is auctioned off?

Also, will the track be building a couple of cars to be purchased by the drivers of the cars that is claimed by the track?? Or does dude just have to wait til the track claims another one and bid on it or rebuild him another one with the $800 from the track?

bigfat,

I checked with Wayne on your questions.

1) If the auction brings in more than the $800, the track retains the difference.

2) At some point the track hopes to build a Grand stock or two but they will not be used in conjunction with the claim rule. So, if the track claims your Grand Stock, you recieve $800. And keep in mind that the only people (besides the track) who can claim a car are those who finish fourth on back (as long as they are still on the lead lap) and that only the top three cars can be claimed by fellow competitors.

Nick Holt

keep in mind that the only people (besides the track) who can claim a car are those who finish fourth on back (as long as they are still on the lead lap) and that only the top three cars can be claimed by fellow competitors.

If your car is claimed, can you have the option of taking the $800 or the claimers car?

Shane,

Here is the Grand Stock claim rule.

CLAIM RULE

The top three finishers in the feature are subject to a car claim by a driver finishing 4th or back, still running on the lead lap. The selling driver has the option of an outright purchase for $800 in cash or an exchange of cars and $500 cash. Claim must be made on the front straight at the conclusion of the event to the race officials.  Claiming driver must not pit after the race and must drive immediately to the claim area on the front straight and must have the appropriate cash on his person in order to claim another car.  San Antonio Speedway has the option to claim any Grand car as an outright buy for $800 cash and the car will be auctioned off on the front straight to the highest bidder with an opening bid of $800 required.  Personal items and racing seat and belts may be removed.  Failure to honor claim will result in automatic disqualification and two race week suspension. The second refusal will result in a suspension for the remainder of the season.

Guest bigfat

$500 and the fellow competitors car would have to be the only way to go. UNLESS, someone you know:

1) has a GS that's ready to go

2) will sell it to you for the $800 (or there abouts)

3) it conforms to all rules and regs, and last but not least

4) their buddy isn't 2nd in points behind you

:D

Maybe someone out there, that has the resources, will throw a couple of cars together and have them on standby. Even if only to make a buck or two.

1200.00 claim rule

400 and exchange

if track claims it and auctions it the difference between their claim and the auction price goes into the point fund

anyone can enter the class- except for the first year of the class itself the champion must move up a class the following year or sit out the next year. If you finish top three in points or out of the points but win 3 or more races you get one more year in the class or have to sit out a year, under no circumstances can you compete in the class for more than 3 consecutive years.

It works at other tracks.

Obviously, there is more than one way to administer a claim rule for entry level classes. Your suggestions are just as valid as any others. However, SAS has elected to use the set they have published.

Nick Holt

not bashing, just adding fuel lol.

really i like and respect that sas is trying to add a claimer class, i hope it works,

I think you should start the season with the rules as published just on stability, consistency, and principal's sake. But I also think that you cannot have an 800.00 car on a half mile track safely. So i think that you will end up needing to adjust the rules in order to maintain a viable claSS. I was just letting you guys know some rules I have seen at work at tracks that have been around for 30 and 40 years.

PS I know that there is no rule that says you can only spend 800.00, but the intent of a claimer rule is to keep costs down, not to make every single car on the track worth claiming every race.

and another hang up about that class is the fact that you cant have prior racing experience.......for a guy who just wants to throw together a "grand stock" because he/she (former wow drivers) got tired of the polotics and money that goes on in the higher classes, it excludes those folks, which might hurt the car count potential of that class...........jmo

Guess I'll put mine on hold. I'm running out of options on what to run this year. LOL :lol: It's starting to look like my roadrunner <shrug> B)

Hey here's another Idea why dosent the track build a car to trade to the driver that they would claim but race it every week with a "experanced " driver make it the rabbit and give everyone something to shoot for make it not elagible for the win but just for fun if the guy in the stands could race against a Robert Barker Joe Armendia or a Brandon Bendele it could attract more cars.Just a thought

racerjim2 - that's not a bad idea, but there are some people with racing experience who would build a car to just go have fun. It would still keep them from racing. But not a bad idea at all considering the way the rules read.

Archived