Some new old pics

PAPA

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Balzer went to my very first Suspension Seminar conducted at Our Lady of the Lake University back in the Dark Ages...

Mike is a heck of a shoe and one of the cleanest racers out there.

Nick

• 5 months later...

The pic of the two late models has the #11 Melton Brothers Camaro from Houston. This pic was probably around 1989, so I would have Larry Schild driving it. Two others we saw in that car at various times were Rick Rapp, and George Hagy.

The #18 is James Taylor, and he came down from the Kilgore area.

The picture is taken at San Antonio.

I'll try to remember the name of the guy looking at the plugs, but the driver standing with him is Dubby Vinson from Houston. Super nice guy.

That Melton car always stood out to me because of the fit and finish. Exceptional fabrication and attention to detail.

And I have a color pic of it; it appeared to be "Porsche Red" in real life. The red kinda Popped oput at you.

Schild won a few TIDA races in it.

What timeframe is the spark plug picture Nick? Looks a lot like Phil Cronin to me. :blink:

All I have marked on the back of that photo is TIDA, SAIS, 1989. Of course, in 1989 the track was named San Antonio International Speedway.

Nick

In the late 70's Rick Rapp raced a purple camaro of Monte Nichols. The car was very clean. I seem to remember that it was a show car before they got it. The car originally had a big block in it and Rick ran the dog sh@# out of it literally. He was leading Freddy Fryer in a big feature when it came apart. Very unique sound, never heard anything like that before.

Archived