not racing related

HiTech

READ about a javelina in the news sorta same deal as babba .    FROM 1986..babba was a family pet the state took away from buddy and patsy thorne .babba was very friendly ate ice cream cake and mainly people food .I knew the thornes well and babba  the pig .my dad  younger brother and sister lived fence to fence with the thornes and babba  …  my dad was a wielder and always had pipe right against the fence , one day we needed some pipe for Robert driggers  race car I took him with me,  he did not know babba was next door no clue  ,so I thought I would have a little fun I positioned Robert facing  away from the fence as he looked for what was needed .babba walked up against the fence and if he did not know you he would take his natural  alert stance  hair standing up tusk showing and then snorting  Robert heard that strange sound and turned face to face with babba he screamed so loud and jumped so high I thought he had a heart attack .I have tears from laughing as I type this .he had to make a fast run to clear his pants wasn't good .but funny as hell .WHAT WASNT FUNNY  the game warden was called after 10 years of babba living there ..and many of you should remember it became a popular news item all over the world .. I moved to leon valley in sa  just as that was going on and got a shock walking into circle k .and finding every one knew of this ..I handed out where is babba stickers a few days later   and later on I am mad too babba stickers ...the thornes  never gave up looking for babba  and when I drive by the house I think of those two fine people  never getting the chance  to see him again I know buddy died I dont know about patsy ..I do know  many tears for years pasty cried over this ..  you know I missed babba too.

Edited by HiTech

Hey H-T, how goes it?  Thanks for the story about Babba.  Now I have another story for you.  Back about 16 years ago or so, it was a Sunday and it was my birthday. I was sitting with my wife, having my morning coffee, and of course the subject of it being my birthday came up.  By that time both our kids had grown up and were gone.  I said to her, I think I'll get myself a dog for my birthday.  I had had dogs around my whole life and after we got married we always had a dog around.

I said to her …….. "Maybe I'll get me a border collie."  I had always heard how smart border collies are.  But, always being somewhat of a skeptic, I always thought, "Yeah sure, but just how smart can a dog be. Right?"   Well, I picked up the Sunday paper from the front yard, took it inside, opened up the classified section and low and behold there was a little add ……… " Border Collie 1 year old female, 512-XXX-XXXX, $100"  I called the number, talked to the guy and we went out to his place. I met the dog, decided I liked her, so I paid him and we took her home.  Her name was Sailor.  The guy I bought her from was a doctor who had no time to spend with her, she was a free roaming dog in a rural neighborhood and kept getting herself and him in lots of trouble with her neighborhood schenanigans.  That's why he was getting rid of her.  I now know he must have paid a thousand or more for her as a pup, because she turned out to be a pure bred, not some mix. 

For the first couple of months we didn't know if we were going to keep her. Turns out B/C's are very high energy, curious about and into everything the can get into.  They certainly are not good dogs for everybody. But, in the long run, we prevailed, taught her the rules and she calmed down.  

To make a long story shorter, she became by far and away the most incredible dog I could ever have imagined.  She became my sidekick for the next 13 1/2 years. Her incredible level of intelligence still astounds me to this very day.

I'll give you one little example.  I took her to the vet one day for a regular check-up and annual shots.  I walked in with her on a leash because you never know what you are going to encounter when you walk into a vet's lobby.  I looked around.  There we a few other people seated around the lobby. it looked safe, so I took her off the leash.  I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I really didn't even think about it.  It was just normal communication between us.  I just told her to "Go tell 'um you're here."

Well, at that she turned around and trotted over to the front desk, hopped up on her back legs, put her front legs up on the counter with her white tipped tail all awag and announced she was here for her appointment.  The girls at the front desk just cracked up that she did that.  I gave my left thigh a pat, she looked at me, I gave a nod of my head to my left. She jumped down, trotted over to me, turned around and sat down, I spoke her name to the girls so they would know us. 

There was a lady sitting next to me.  She turned her head and spoke quietly to me, "How in the world did you ever train her to do that."  I simply looked at her and replied, "I didn't train her to do that. How could I ?  I just told her what I wanted her to do and that's what she did. That's what border collies do."

Her reply was simply "Wow".

Anyway, as I said, she was my sidekick for years.  We lost her a couple of years ago. We woke up one morning. During the night at 14 1/2 years old, she had had a stroke.  We rushed her to the vet, but I knew going there what the end result was going to be.  So very, very sad.  I do miss her so.

SailorBall02. [640x480].jpg

SAD story birdman . we all have something of the sort makes us human ..I had to put sassy down a few years back .she would sleep on my shoulder .. woke up one morning and she did not know who I was or Joshua and Lorraine .13 years of life with her was to short .you just never know how things are going to turn out . and pet turn family member will make even a harden man soft .// great looking  family member you had there .

Edited by HiTech

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, Budman said:

H/T, Take a look at this.  This dog could be her twin sister.  She reminds me a great deal of Sailor.

Click ----->  HERE

Heck of a dog ..my grandparents had dog just  like this dog  in the late 60s ..she had the same energy  attitude and love this dog has for everyone around her .her name was cassy . she would go dove hunting with me and spent time with us on the shrimp boat ..always wanting to go with anyone of the family who would take her …. I can see why you miss sailor and did not realize till I watched  the video that cassy .sailor and this dog all looked so much alike and acted so much the same way ..they are very smart dogs ..

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2020 at 5:35 PM, Radical said:

Hell yeah!!! I have worked in aviation for over 45 years now. I'll never get tired of watching airplanes fly.

I live near cc navy base .. I love when they are running test .. I am about a quarter mile from corpus Christ bay .. the last two week we have had a lot of black hawks  flying around and over my house  ..never get tired of it .

18 hours ago, HiTech said:

I live near cc navy base .. I love when they are running test .. I am about a quarter mile from corpus Christ bay .. the last two week we have had a lot of black hawks  flying around and over my house  ..never get tired of it .

That's where I have worked for the last 45 + years HiTech.

2 hours ago, Radical said:

That's where I have worked for the last 45 + years HiTech.

I worked out there a long time ago .. we built that automated paint booth ...my son worked maintenance  for a few months till the contract ran out .. .. what do you do ..one of my step brothers worked  for the base during desert storm .. jay mccain . 

Edited by HiTech

On 2/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, HiTech said:

I worked out there a long time ago .. we built that automated paint booth ...my son worked maintenance  for a few months till the contract ran out .. .. what do you do ..one of my step brothers worked  for the base during desert storm .. jay mccain . 

I work as the Chief Quality Control Inspector for Lockheed Martin. We have the contract for the U.S. Customs & Border Protection.

15 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

Is this a trick question Mike?

no reb in 2018 when I started this  I f I remember lol about a story of a family losing a pet  by force … a   wild pet they saved .. .. now being a Texan as I think you are . I could be wrong .. . in 1986 a big deal nation wide and world wide story on. bubba . that pig lived next door to my dad .the thorns were a great family friend ..it sure took you long  enough to ask a question .. missed u :P

Edited by HiTech

THE SCARIEST THING I'VE HEARD LATELY ……………….

This morning I spent 2 1/2 hours waiting simply to renew my drivers license in Marble Falls.  Finally, my number was called out and I went to the designated Licensing Clerk.  I handed her the filled out form, my expiring license and my Pass Port.  She looked at the documents for a moment, looked up at me and said, "Oh , you're from Texas!" 

42 minutes ago, Budman said:

This morning I spent 2 1/2 hours waiting simply to renew my drivers license in Marble Falls.  Finally, my number was called out and I went to the designated Licensing Clerk.  I handed her the filled out form, my expiring license and my Pass Port.  She looked at the documents for a moment, looked up at me and said, "Oh , you're from Texas!" 

just got to shake your head .. 

3 hours ago, Budman said:

What.....No birth certificate?....How'd you get away with that?

2 hours ago, Budman said:

My Inference from her remarks, HT is of all the people she'd seen this morning, I was the first who actually IS from Texas.  

I got it budman . just has to make you shake your head...… did she tell you how many from California  moved here ..I have met way to many from there . I spent two weeks in California in 1988 .. you could not get anyone to speak to you if you were Texan . zeke my friend who passed away live there for 9 years .it took 4 years before he could get enough poeple together to build a band …. he loved singing .. his son goes back every now and then and half the poeple he grew up with wont talk to him . he is from texas now . yet he was born in California .. that state sucks ..  ..  

Edited by HiTech