More Bad News from the Sprint Car World

PAPosse

Racing is a dangerous sport, just like any other sport that challenges a person's limits in extreme conditions. That is it's allure for those who choose to expose themselves to the challenge. 

Greg accepted the challenge and loved racing.  Rest in Peace, sir.

Just watched the video of the crash. Looks like something needs to be done to top of roll cage. I don't know what since they get out of the car that way. I found a youtube video where there were testing what happens when a sprint car hits a wall with top of the car. It was tragic.  

1 hour ago, arob said:

If this is too graphic I'll take down or moderater take down.

Apparently the link was removed from your post, but if the video was of the two cars tangling on the frontstretch  and hitting the inside wall, like a youtube video poster claims, that is NOT the crash.  In fact, the video is Williams Grove, not BAPS (aka Susqehanna).  To my knowledge there hasn’t been any video of the fatal accident leaked - and I feel that’s the way it should be.

Something in the front suspension broke and he ended up hitting the butt end of a fence at an opening to the pits.  He died instantly - blunt force trauma according to the autopsy, and he had all the latest safety gear.

This is probably more a case of track safety vs car safety.  Its easy to look back and say “why wasn’t that fixed?”, much like we do now when we see a NASCAR crash where the car hits an area without a SAFER barrier.

Speeds are so high, and we’ve seen so much, that it should be a standard design, if there has to be a fence opening, that the butt end of the fence is not exposed to the racing surface.  

But, to your point, there are changes coming to cage design in 2019:

http://www.woosprint.com/news/latest-news/5197-sprint-car-industry-announces-rule-changes-for-2019-season

arob, paposse is correct here's a couple pictures of the track opening....Sadly many of the local tracks nationwide have a similar type entry/exit point....Some have walls, some don't....TMS Dirt Track has a tunnel for exit and a few tracks use the entry as an exit after u-turning cars in the infield.....The one thing all the safety in the world can't stop, is parts failure, especially at those speeds....Then there's the constant search for newer/lighter cars which also can compromise safety....Last but not least is driver error as in Jason Johnsons case....He got forced high, with contact that sent him into a wall/billboard and landed cage first, upside down on the concrete wall

42222860_2512798192078598_9034305231432712192_n.thumb.jpg.5a97096ce5713c1af525eb4b16be108c.jpg42328751_2513007145391036_2487967137440727040_n.jpg.4732670eb18035effe258dfb842f5cb9.jpg 

Here is a picture that has been floating around the last week or so.  This is a foam block the car is on top of NOT a concrete wall.  But it does show you the danger.  One reason we always went with a wedge chassis with the halo is it gives you that extra height where the driver is for that just in case moment.  What amazes me is there is teams in ASCS and WoO who will order cars without the extra piping because of weight.  Remember the wedge chassis, halo, and side bars are all currently add-ons.  There is other things the big boys do safety wise that just dumbfound me. We are required to run a rock screen and with them it is recommended and there is drivers out there that wont run one. 

IMG_2367.JPG

Archived