Interesting entry for San Antonio April 20th.

txtom

Complain about the kids all you want but some of them actually have Talent. My son at the age of 8 started in Go-karts and won the championship his first year. I put him in a bomber at 11 and a purestock at 12. He outran most of the adults. At 14 we put him in a sportmod and his first night in a sportmod at the Ice Breaker in Abilene with 38 cars not only did he qualify but he got 7th in the A main. He won his first feature the 5th night in the car. He's 15 now and not only does he always run up front but he's smart enough not to tear up his equipment. He's not a spoiled rich kid and I make him fix his own car. How many kids can say they changed the motor in there car by thereself at the age of 12?

Only problem I've seen so far is it doesn't help with teaching them to drive a car on Texas highways.

I think the real deal here is that most on this subject are alittle envious of the kid. I know I am. Wish I would have had the opportunity he has when I was that young. He can obviously handle a race car or he wouldn't have the backing he does. Good luck to him and his team.

Nick , you asked for a #3 solution.Have a 14 year old enforcer on your crew in case the 14 year old driver gets out of hand.

Never thought of that one, arob! Juvinile Detention Center is a lot nicer than the County Jail anyway... LOL

Nick

How many kids can say they changed the motor in there car by thereself at the age of 12?

Only problem I've seen so far is it doesn't help with teaching them to drive a car on Texas highways.

(Raises hand). By 12 I was miking and assembling engines having helped since age 5 and and soloed changes by 10ish (thats where I learned leverage and hoisting etc), doing brakes, clutches etc well before 12 (I was the cheap labor for a lot of people in the clubs - I mean we're not even talking BEER - we were still at popsicles and bubble gum!).

And yep. Thats a downside - when I started driving on highway I was way too aggressive and overconfident - even NOT being a race driver. Of course can't say how I would have been if I had driven the race car - possibly a bit more RESPECTFUL... but knowing me - NOT - lol.

Nick , you asked for a #3 solution.Have a 14 year old enforcer on your crew in case the 14 year old driver gets out of hand.

At that age what worked to keep MY kids in line was the threat of a public hug and kiss... or a good face wash with Mom solvent (ya know spit on a napkin).

I think the real deal here is that most on this subject are alittle envious of the kid. I know I am. Wish I would have had the opportunity he has when I was that young. He can obviously handle a race car or he wouldn't have the backing he does. Good luck to him and his team.

This was my same thoughts, it looks like there's a lil hating going on, he's done quite well for himself looking at his standings! I nor a few others on here could really judge him, when we are still trying to conquer the CHARGER class! I'm always impressed to see drivers that young in any class, especially a class of that caliber! Good Luck, to him and Crew!!!

We race with Spencer a lot, his father does a lot of work in the San Antonio they are some of the nicest people you will meet. If i am not mistaken he was the pro track champion at Gresham last year. So yes he has a lot of laps under his belt and will be a very nice addtion to the pro late model show.

I do not know but i bet if he are his family read some the post i bet they might think twice about running the race just my thoughts.

THEY WOULD SHOW UP JUST TO PROVE A POINT....................... WHATS BEEN SAID HERE IS TAME OVER WHAT I HEARD FIRST HAND COMING OUT OF SOME LOCAL DRIVERS MOUTHS WHILE STAPLING PIT PASSES ON EM AT CC IN THE 70.S WHEN A 15 YEAR OLD TERRY LABONTE SHOWED UP HIS FIRST NIGHT ,I WOULD GET A MAJOR EDIT FROM NICK IF I EVEN STARTED TO PRINT WHAT THEY SAID ,AINT NO MOUTH WASH STRONG ENOUGH TO CLEAN THAT UP , AND WE ALL KNOW THE REST IS HISTORY ....

• 3 weeks later...
Don't need to be crying about any drivers ages with car counts like tonight, track will be closed again in m o yime.

well dont know about last night but good ccar count i thought in most classes and some great finishes .probably bring my sons car the next race ..the fan count was good so i dont see them closing soon ..

Very well said Jrfan , he timed it good after being on the bumper of the 99 for many laps , pretty impressive I must say . Not only for his age , but awesome talent , dominant !
,O

I SUPPOSE SOME HUMBLE PIE IS ON SOME FOLKS MENU TODAY.

Not only did he win the race... he also did it passing Casey Smith with the cleanest pass of the night. After having plenty of opportunities to put the bumper to him. That kid can wheel a car.

No need to use a bumper when your car is that fast. We could tell he was being patient and sure enough, when it was time he dropped down and drove right around the leader like it was nothing.

Very well said Jrfan , he timed it good after being on the bumper of the 99 for many laps , pretty impressive I must say . Not only for his age , but awesome talent , dominant !
,O

I SUPPOSE SOME HUMBLE PIE IS ON SOME FOLKS MENU TODAY.

I didn't see anyone questioning the kids ability. Only what age was appropriate to be put in that much danger.

Archived