Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Our thanks for your visit and we hope all learn something about the early days of 1/4 Midget racing as we participated in those early days..

They went by rather quickly I might add!

Enjoy the history...

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly see now that I'm getting older what you mean about time going by rather quickly,

I was wondering if you could tell me approximate top speeds on the quarter midgets and if you have any idea cost of one (to build or buy) thanks again

Top speeds on 1/4 Midgets would depend on the actual track size and gear ratio they were to perform on.

Quarter Midgets were designed to be an introduction into the racing scene like little league baseball and were designed for kids and their love and interest in race cars.

Most tracks were sanctioned to keep the speeds down for safety and to give the novice driver an opportunity to learn the handling aspects of racing.

Age factor, maturity, and skill would determine the advancement in speed and larger tracks. Once Quarter Midgets were completed, the goal was to move up to 1/2 Midgets.

The 1/10 mile tracks were designed for higher speeds and probably more experienced drivers.

So, a good question indeed.

The engine qualifications such as "Box Stock" all the way to the advanced and highly modified "AA" Alcohol fuel Quarter midgets would also be a factor as to the horsepower that could be generated in these little engines before blowing one!

Average speed on a 1/20th mile track I would guess to be 30 to 45 MPH.

I would have to brush up on my math to be more accurate but, one lap around a 1/20th mile track at approximately 7 to 8 seconds should give you a pretty good idea.

The driver skill would be another factor..

Hope this answers some of your question.

As to the cost of 1/4 midgets? It would depend on today's 1/4 midgets or the classic ones you are referring to.

There are several sites on the web that can give you today's cost of these midgets.

The classic 1/4 midgets would depend on how bad someone want's one, the type of midget, how rare, and how much $$$ some people pay.

We have seen one go for $8000.00 maybe more. That I would think is a rare case and also it was sold over seas and was at a collector's bid auction.

Edited by Midget 85

If you are interested in joining or checking out a show the are 2 tracks in Texas one is RCQMA located in Austin, its one of the bigger tracks around it has soft walls electronic scoring and scorebored and tower. Its off of I 35 between Braker and Yager Lane. I am a member there. Great club and great people. They are working to host the Grand Nationals in 2010. As far as cost these are not home made cars anymore. Brand new without an engine is about 5,000 there are tons of really good used cars with motors anywhere from 1000 on up. Keep in mind, they are race cars and with any car the equipment and the driver is the differnece. Now as far as engines go, the older Decos are now the super stocks and Modifieds B's and AA these motors range from 2000 dollars on up. They require a ton of maintenance and pretty much everything is custom made. My modified that I had cost 3100 to build. it was fast but expensive. The engine of choice is the Honda 120 new these motors are about 700. Very little can be done to these motors per the rule book and the car counts are huge. They are very similar to each other so the difference is the Driver , car and set up. tires play a huge role in performance. We were able to turn the track in Austin at around a 6.6 second lap time while in San Antonio the lap time are at around 5.8. that is really quick especially when you add 10 cars in traffic. Very exciting stuff. You can start out at age 5 and run till your 16 if you like. The track in San Antonio is located at the Comanche Park off of Rigsby avenue. If you go to our web site there is a Quarter Midget tab and all of the links for information is right there. Hope this helps

FREDDY TAYLOR - GALENA PARK DRIVER

PASADENA TRACK - 1960

Here's Fred ( Freddy) Taylor after taking a win at the Pasadena track approximately in 1960.

Pictured with Fred is his dad and also trophy queen Gail Nolan.

Gail is the sister of the late 'Bubba" Nolan who also ran 1/4 midgets and raced at Meyer Speedway in the late 60's

Photo courtesy of Fred Taylor

post-8338-1213156824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

FREDDY TAYLOR -

Another photo of Freddy Taylor in the pits at the Pasadena,TX Quarter Midget track.

The #13 was a Red "Grand Prix" 1/4 midget in the B' Modified division.

Photo Courtesy of Fred Taylor

MORE..

Stand on it ..and turn left..and maybe right!

Here's an action shot of Freddy and fellow race driver Larry Robinson aiming for the turns in true Quarter Midget racing.

post-8338-1213158068_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213158377_thumb.jpg

LIBERTY TEXAS - 1960

Here's a shot of fellow race drivers on the track in Liberty,TX.

We will come back and name the drivers as we review.

Most can be recognized easily while some I will need a little help with.

In the meantime..see how well you can identify the drivers :unsure:

Starting at the top of the turn ( left to right )

1 Unknown.. at this time

2 Unknown.. at this time

3 Larry Schild

4 Denny Burton

5 Chubby Chapman

6 Unknown.. at this time

7 Freddy Taylor

8 Sandra Honea

9 Steve Catlin

10 Unknown.. at this time

post-8338-1213159490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

FREDDY TAYLOR - PASADENA QUARTER MIDGET TRACK

Our thanks to Fred Taylor for providing the photos reflecting race days in and around the Houston-Pasadena TX area.

Here is Freddy capturing a victory, trophy, and congratulations for winning at the Pasadena track around 1960.

The Wahlborg 1/4 midget is Coggie Pearce's first midget after selling the car to Roger Paul Rogers.

It appears Freddy either filled in for him or drove the car for other reasons such as maybe a loner for that day at the races.

Could have been his midget was out due to mechanical reasons.

None the less, Freddy takes a win in the old #7 Walhborg that Coggie won many races with in his earlier days.

On the turtle hull of the midget is a comic decal of a"Blue Man" injecting himself with a Hypodermic needle to illustrate a " Fuel Injection " mode!

That cartoon character is a dead giveaway of the old #7

Very Good Photo Shot Freddy!

post-8338-1213161433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

• 2 weeks later...

ORLANDO FLORIDA - Quarter Midget Nationals 1960

It's no wonder at the craze of the new sport in the late 50's and early 60's was now more than ever evident with 1/4 Midget Nationals being held all over the country.

The photos below reflect the crowds and participation of these little midgets. Doug McBride receives the trophy honors from Miss "Tangerine" in the Sunshine State for his participation and visit from Texas.

Gee..Doug, how lucky a racer can be with tha Queen!

Nationals were held in Tulsa, Orlando, Phoenix, and all over the state of Texas as well as California and other parts of the country.

Photos courtesy of Doug McBride - San Antonio,TX

ERA 1960

post-8338-1213937305_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213937351_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213937387_thumb.jpg

MORE.. ORLANDO FLORIDA 1960

Here's a few more shots of the Quarters..

Look at the banking on that little track and some serious racers in attendance.

It may seem like "KID STUFF" but as a little kid, this was as serious as any big league racing to those young drivers..

Below, more drivers await their turn to receive the honors and to meet Miss Tangerine!

post-8338-1213938352_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213938391_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1213938430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

SANDY SANBORN - Flagman

The well known flagman Sandy Sanborn was known in the Quarter Midget world and other racing meets especially at the National events!

Sandy was known for his colorful style of movement and exciting display of energy in the racing world by adding movement to any racing event. His high jumps and furious waving of flags brought him recognition all over the country in the mid-century.

Here is a shot of the California Famous Flagman we all loved to watch..

post-8338-1213940279_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

THE FAMOUS ALUMINUM 1/4 MIDGET

We all know that California seemed to lead the way during the earlier days for coming up with new creations for all to follow.

The famous "Aluminum" Kurtis Midget was driven by a Japanese Driver Richard Shoji from California.

The midget was so famous that Monogram model kit offered the replica scale model in 1960.

It was light, shiney, and also very fast in the Double AA fuel category!

The model kits are almost as much in demand as the 1/4 Midgets themselves today..

Here is an old article and add about the midget.

The Japanese driver was a true competitor and drove this midget that in it's time cost $3000.00!

post-8338-1213942276_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1214364424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Jim,

To my knowledge, there was only one built.

If I recall correctly, the body was molded somehow from a Kurtis Kraft midget fiberglass mold and then carefully sculptured to detail with the light weight aluminum material.

Of course this was really something in those earlier days and I guess the cost prohibited mass production of this one of a kind midget..

They made up the difference with the model car kits that sold in every store that I can remember.

It was sorta neat however to see this "Shiney" midget during it's time.

It was the answer to the Aluminum Christmas Tree in the 1/4 Midget world..

I have often wondered what happened to this car.

Edited by Midget 85

GIRLS of 1/4 Midget Racing

Quarter Midget Racing attracted not only boys but girls also!

Many competed with the boys while some were just supportive in the sport as trophy queens, helping hands, or just to cheer on their favorite hero driver!!

An article below from the Tulsa Daily World newspaper illustrates pretty Linda Hice from Dallas,Texas who also participated in the Quarter Midget races as a competitor.

The article is dated August 4, 1961

No different in the world today as competitors or just racing fans..

Oh yeah...the boys enjoyed their presence in the racing world as well but, nothing was more embarrassing then to impress your favorite girl and finish last..

I once talked my 2nd grade sweetheart in to being trophy queen at the Houston track .. but just once.

It was next to the most humiliating day I ever had after experiencing car trouble all day long.

.. After all, I was sure to win cause my girl was there, ..Right?

All the racers except myself won that day...and not only that... got the kisses too!!

After the races, Dad and I had a seriuos talk about the mechanical troubles needless to say! LOL

Get a load of those classic cars in the background. 1960 Pontiac, 59' Caddy, 57' Ford Wagon, and a Ford 1961 clip shot of the rear

These photos were taken August, 1961 in San Antonio,Texas and courtesy of Doug McBride.

post-8338-1214165625_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1214165677_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1214193706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

MORE PIT ACTION - 1961

Another day at the races and getting the cars unloaded and ready for a full day of competition..

The photos below give you an idea of the preperation and discussion in the pits on any given race day.

Note Doug holding the Roll Bar of his midget while the rest of the car is being ready for unloading or perhaps loaded after the races..

1961- SanAntonio,Texas

post-8338-1214166521_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1214166561_thumb.jpg

PACEMAKER MIDGET

Below is a shot of a Pacemaker Midget manufactured in the late 50's.

This is the standard model shown here..

BELOW

The second photo reveals a very limited Pacemaker "Roadster Body Style" with a sleek turtle hull..

post-8338-1214187546_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1214187753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

ACTION IN THE TURNS

No doubt as boys became more accustomed to the little midgets and their driving skills increased, so did the agressive skills to win!

Just a little episode of aggressive behavior shown here with a little tap on the rear bumper to cross up the midget in front...

Not the best way to get around the competition..

post-8338-1214188813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

QUARTER MIDGET 60's STYLE!

Here's a photo shot showing the many styles of midgets and also the changes in body styles left only to the imagination of those who designed and built these little midgets.

By the mid-60's we were seeing Indy cars moving the engines to the rear of the race cars such as the late Jimmy Clark drove in 1964 at Indy

Also, the body styles were changing to a degree with the big cars and certainly would influence the 1/4 Midgets as well.

This midget is based along the designs of the mid 60's as well in an attempt to be updated in style to the Indy cars. Yes, the engine remained in the rear as always but, the body certainly changed...

It is not known at this time the manufacturer of this midget or if it was custom built.

post-8338-1214189682_thumb.jpg

TULSA NATIONALS 1961

Doug McBride get's ready for the feature race in Tulsa, OKlahoma.

Finishing touches to the engine, secure the turtle hull, tighten the belts, and head for the track!

post-8338-1214191068_thumb.jpg

TULSA - PROGRAM FRONT COVER

Another piece of printed history of long ago..

The car pictured on the front cover is a 50's Moss Midget

post-8338-1214362885_thumb.jpg

Loved the Moss MIdgets. My 1/4 midget was a Moss. We also had 2 half midgets that were Moss. Half midgets never caught on in Houston. My Father sponsored a boys teenage club. The Track Twisters. They would drive exhibition races during intermission and after our races. Seems they ran in Liberty more than anywhere else. Thanks to Mr. Boslog ( did I spell that right?). Later, Daddy put a Yamaha engine in one of them and ran Micro Midgets in Amarillo. They wouldn't let me race, because I was 17 at the time and drivers had to be 18. We tried to promote Micros in Houston, but it seems only racing going on was at Meyers.

Quarter and micros(they call them modified midgets now) are still racing in California. Wonder what happened here? Why did it fade out? Go carts were popular for a while, then they faded.

Let's keep this forum going! I wish we hadn't lost all our pictures in the '94 flood.We had several large scrapbooks that was lost. At least Randy, Freddy and Doug have pictures. I thank them for the memories.

Sandra,

I'm glad that you, Randy, and Coggie were a part of my memories of the early 60's racing in Houston.

I also have memories of Mike Kidd, David Watkins, Rod Green, Ellis Clark, Mike Farrish and Linda Hice from the Dallas area. There was Danny Wood from Corpus Christi. Also, Pamela, Bill and Cindy Palm, Dale and Kenneth Bragg and numerous other racers from here in San Antonio.

Thank You Randy, for your hard work in keeping this forum going.

Doug McBride