Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone!

The 1/4 Midget is now being taken apart to see what steps are needed to save the 50 year old midget.

The engine draws a lot of concern as it is locked up and will carefully be taken apart to see what severity we have with the piston and or other component parts that will be a challenge to find since Continental engines are no longer manufactured.

Not knowing the history of it's exposure to floods and other conditions will determine the nature of restoration.

It's sorta like the 57 Plymouth that was buried in Oklahoma for 50 years in a time capsule and recently recovered this past year.

While careful planning to disassemble the car further and tag all the parts for resto or reproduction will be underway, we will continue to find and research this thread with interesting facts of the early quarter midget days of the mid century.

To get an idea of the popularity of this new sport we found this 1958 Hot Rod Magazine front page article that made the front sizzle with the new craze of 1/4 midget racing!

post-8338-1208837571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

A couple of more shots of restored 1/4 midgets are pictured below..

The pink and black 1/4 is a "Racecraft" manufactured racer, while the red and white midget is a "King Size" Wahlborg for the bigger kids.

It looks like the midgets were recently restored or well kept over the years.

Both midgets were manufactured in the 50's..

Special note the small roll bars on the early midgets..

Just enough to keep the weight of the car off the drivers head if they got upside down.

"Monkey Cages" were not an option, or even heard of in the early days of any open cock pit racing where the drivers could visably be seen.

Drivers were taught to grab the lower portion of the steering wheel with both hands and "Duck" your helment down and toward the steering wheel in the event the car wanted to get upside down..

Not only did you have to think fast, you had to be brave. Leather motorcycle jackets were recomended when possible.

Hand restraints, padded steering wheel centers, full protected face helments, neck braces, fire suits, had not been introduced to the racing world at that time. Bravery and a lotta guts, were highly recomended in the early days without the available safety standards in todays racing.

post-8338-1208838506_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208838638_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

The 1/4 Midget photos below were captured we think in California with the driver's name known to us as only "Hagemann"

Note the beauty of the carefully thoughtout designs reflecting the bigger brother midgets.

The photo is dated 1960

post-8338-1208840867_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208841169_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

A couple of more add shots of 1/4 midgets..

Note the one photo that resembles the "Edmund" style modified body for the youngsters!

The other photo is promoting the "Grand Prix" 1/4 midget

post-8338-1208841797_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208841829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

QUARTER MIDGET TRACK - 1/10 MILE

To relate to the different track sizes for the 1/4's you might look at it as the 1/20 equaled at 1/4 mile to big racers, the 10th mile was like a 1/2 mile in quarter midget terms.

The bigger the tracks the more gear and speed was accomplished..

Here's a 1/10 mile Quarter midget track unknown to us but, possibly Albany NY.

post-8338-1208842556_thumb.jpg

Quarter Midgets did not have clutches and were direct drive for safety reasons. If you spun one in any hard fashion, the force would kill the engine so a novice driver wouldn't be headed in the wrong direction or maybe go head on with another midget.

A push start to get the car moving and a flip of the ignition switch woke the engine to a familiar Continental throaty sound unlike any other engine.

Most midgets were equipped with a magneto firing device to light up the spark plug.

To kill the engine meant a flip of the safety switch.

To coast down, we would flip the switch back and forth until we reached the pit area and a final off position would eliminate the spark where the midget would finally stall and the right rear wheel would lock up.

The hand brake was just like the big midgets!

Seemed sorta complicated but, it didn't take long to get the pattern down and park the midget on a dime..

GALENA PARK, TEXAS

DRIVER: FREDDY TAYLOR

As we have mentioned up and down this thread, it is our goal to find the history related to the 1/4 midget drivers at the beginning of this new craze during the 50's and early 60's.

I knew most of the drivers and became friends with many such as Coggie Pearce, Denny Burton, Chubby Chapman, Doug McBride, and another long time friend.. Freddy Taylor.

Freddy and I were chums around the track and also at each others home when visiting one another.

The photo below is Fred capturing a victory at Gulf Gate Race track in his "Tiger Shark" Grand Prix midget #13. Notice the "Shark" painted on the body..

It appears to be a summertime shot in 1959.

I wanted to thank Fred for forwarding some of the photos so I could add to this threaded history..

Fred (Freddy in those days) and I had many fun days growing up as young boys and racers.

We were both fortunate to have participated in this new sport called Quarter Midget racing in it's prime days!

post-8338-1209171063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

HAVE QUARTER MIDGETS...WILL TRAVEL!

Here's another shot of Fred around 1960 in the same midget but with a new paint job and number #58.

Fred's favorite driver was MJ Burton who drove the #58 Modified at Playland Park and also the #58 was an inverted #85 reflecting friendship between us and also the color Blue on our midgets..

Fred lived in Galena Park and the girls gym at Galena Park High School is in the background of this shot.

Fred lived directly beside the High School..

The trailer reflects how serious Quarter Midget racing had become with the ability to carry more than one midget to the tracks.

The upper car is Fred's new painted Grand Prix racer #58 on the top of the trailer.

The 1/4 midget on the bottom is the "Champ 5" that was driven by Chubby Chapman from Liberty / Dayton area and owned by Jack Boslog shown earlier in this thread.

Cars were loaded and ready for a trip to Alvin,TX for an event that day.

Some of the trophies displayed here and won by Freddy with photos taken by his late Dad in Galena Park,TX around 1960.

post-8338-1209172635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Hello to all, great site!

Well their still out there, just picked this one up but knew nothing about it till I found this site, thanks. Don't know much about it other than it might be a Wahlborg? Any idea of the era?

Has a B&S motor, rear wheels don't look to be correct but what do I know! Looks like I will be needing a couple more for the grandkids LOL............... Lon

Straycat,

Welcome aboard and thanks for your input!

You do have a Wahlborg 1/4 Midget here and I must say it is in excellent condition compaired to the one I found.

Looking at the photo, the front wheels appear to be aftermarket racing mags that were available for these midgets in the 50's early 60's from what I can make out. (need a closer photo to make sure.)

The rear wheels look like those available from a local hardware or kart supplier and appear to be generic economical do it yourself Go-Kart wheels.

The slicks look like 12 x 6 or 13 x 6.5 and was common in the 50's especially on asphalt tracks.

The front axle is an I-Beam that was more common on the 1957-58 midgets, where some used tubular axles. The one I have has a tubular axle.

The body is in great shape and is original in the classic Wahlborg design.

This body style was produced from 1957 thru 1959-60 and came from the factory with a stock Continental engine originally. I see the factory Roll Bar is missing.

The nerf bars are true in being correct as well as the bumpers.

Apparently, the engine has been replaced at one time due to the Continentals being discontinued in production.

If you can, please post a photo or two of the engine.

You are lucky to find this midget in the condition it is in and I certainly suggest you preserve it as best as possible from damage or modifications.

It is a piece of racing history you have here!!

Please keep us posted and your input is greatly appreciated..

Edited by Midget 85

I would leave tha car alone for now if you intend for the grandkids to enjoy.

As they get older, I would set the midget aside and then maybe think about restoring to it's race days or stock days of production.

The car has been kept in great condition!

The Continental engines are very hard to find although I have one, it is locked up and finding parts will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Look at the photos above at the one I found as to the Continental Engine.

Do your best to keep the midget in good shape and do no modifications since it is almost all original as I have viewed by your photos!

If you ever decide to sell the midget, then by all means I would like to buy it as first call!

Thanks again,

-Randy

Midget 85

Edited by Midget 85

Randy, I respect the history of these Midgets more than careing about if my grand kids are having fun! They can have just as much fun, in their eyes, on a more modern go-cart with more ground clearance, etc. The Wahlborg will be put in the shop and the search is on for the rite rear wheels and a Continental motor. Will keep you posted and thanks for all info. Lon

Lon,

Probably a very good idea!

Didn't want to say it, but the 1/4 midget is a very rare piece of history and deserves to be saved and maintained.

If I can assisit, please let me know..

-Randy

Hey Randy, I am starting a database to help keep track of contact information of all of old 50's Quarter midget racers. If you will pass on to everyone, they can email me at ATaylor817@aol.com or fred_taylor@itc.co.harris.tx.us. If will give me their names and information listed below maybe we can put out your newsletter and attempt to get everyone together one evening for a meet and greet. With a little planning hopefully as many can attend as possible and bring their scrapbooks tool.

here is the information I could use.

First Name, Last Name, Nick Name, street address, City, State, Zip code, home number and or cell number.

Car make and model, Car #, Car color. If possible photo's of driver then and now. Photo of car then.

little memo information, what have you been doing since.

Great to hear from all

Fred "Freddy" Taylor

Hi Guys, Freddie, I gave info on Jeff Lynn, Jr. Wingo and myself to Randy. I've searched internet, phone books and physician rosters for Coggie. It's hard to find the girls as they change their names when they get married. So unless they stumble on to this site, as I did, I don't know what to do.

I don't know what happened to my 1/4 midget or Daddy's micro midget, however Mother had kept the 1/2 midget,go kart and all parts until the 94 flood. She gave all of it to a man with 2 boys as we didn't have a place to store it and the man helped her clean up after the flood. So there is a Moss 1/2 midget in the Humble area somewhere. I wish I knew where!!! Now we live on 3 acres and it would be fun to run laps in these woods!

Sandra

Lon,

There are a few sites that relate to classic quarter midgets but have not been updated in several years.

I am searching for info myself and when I find reliable sources, will be happy to post or link to this site.

I have captured some of the info and added to this post to keep the thread moving and hopefully keep the information current.

We might be able to share some parts if it comes down to it so, hang tight and let me see what we can come up with.

The Wahlborg I have has been modified to some degree and is not stock in a lot of areas.

I can appreciate to some degree what someone before me was trying to do with the little midget and appears they wanted to make a Mini-Quarter size sprinter or modified look out of it with the modifications that were attempted on it. The cowling has been modified around the steering wheel to give it a more agressive flair.

Non the less, I am glad I found it even though it was not in the original form. Many midgets that were purchased were immediatley upgraded with mag wheels, and other after market performance parts anyway for competitive reasons.

They came stock but, it wasn't long before the competitive edge for performance was needed and sought after as you read through this forum and look at the history!

I will have to decide just how far I can go since the body has been altered some although most of the remainder of the car is original. Again, many of the original parts are missing also.

Finding original bumpers and such will really be a trick.

Maybe we can get yours all back original and mine updated some with newer parts.

Hmm, I'll really have think on that one some and make a decision...

Stay tuned..

Edited by Midget 85

JUST LIKE THE BIG GUYS!

Kids were as serious about their races as the big guys and probably learned many tricks by observing as well. Who knows, one of these guys maybe grew up to be a "Big Guy" on the roundy rounds!

Here's a shot from 1956 during the infancy of 1/4 Midget racing and the boys on the track were no different than the big boys when it came down to winning. Crude Quarter midgets minus the safety standards of today and yep..some got a little crazy.

Here's one that got upside down in the heat of the action. Dig the school jacket on the leader in this photo and the bravery of these little guys dueling for the checkers with no holding back..and..what about that roll bar? State of the art in the early 50's! Further observing..I don't even see a seat belt on the leader!

A "Monkey Cage" was at the local zoo in the 50's, not on race cars.. :rolleyes:

post-8338-1209361815_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85