Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Randy,

I talked to Tom yesterday and he told me about this site. Reading this brings back alot of memories of you all there in Houston and the lost friendships from Dallas and Corpus. The first big race that I ever won was the Gulf Coast States Championship there in Houston. I remember doing a morning TV show there with Sandra and one other. Remember driving Coggies cart and having to have a pillow behind me to be able to reach the pedals. I managed to run off the track and the announcer told the other drivers to watch out while I was out there. I guess, when I almost broke the track record, they felt a little more at ease. Remember running a 75 lap race in Dallas. Everyone had to make a mandatory pit stop. Also, remember winning the Nationals in Florida and Tulsa. I guess the one race that I remember most, was the Nationals in Garland. My dad had built an awesome motor. He decided to re-ring it the night before the race and it siezed up the next morning on breakin. We got a loner from one of the Dallas racers. I didn't qualify that great. There was a problem with the motor dying in the corner. I raced on the outside of the second place car for half of the race. When the engine fineally stopped missing, I went into second and was catching up to Sleepy Tripp. Never made it, as the chain broke.

I will try and upload some of the pictures and articles that I have. If you would pm me your address, I will send you an article that I ran across yesterday as I was going through my scrap book.

Hope we can get togeather soon.

Doug McBride...

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you here, Doug.

If you have any questions about loading pics, give me a call, and we'll get it done.

Did I tell you there were a lot of great memories on this site??!! ;)

Tom

Doug,

Welcome aboard!

We owe our thanks to Tom for hooking us up on this forum and bringing the young racers back together again.

It's been a long time since the photos of us were taken in Pasadena,TX and the racing memories we have all shared over the years.

We will work on a reunion for us original Quarter Midget Drivers of long ago..

Thanks to you and Tom for all the support and I think we have just begun a new journey...

-Randy #85

The photo below is one of the last photos of Midget 85 taken in our garage in Houston.

It was sorta like a farewell shot of me and the midget before leaving the racing scene. It was 1961 in the winter months as I was now 10 years old.

If I knew then what I know now, the midget would never had been sold.

Thank goodness for photos and the memories that go with them..

post-8338-1206493175_thumb.jpg

DALLAS, TEXAS

Devil's Bowl Quarter Midget Track

Here are a few photos from Dallas and the beginning of my Quarter Midget days as crude as they were.

In 1956 there were no 1/4 Midget race tracks in Houston so, every weekend we traveled to Dallas just to race. Here you will see the beginning of Quarter Midget racing with everything imaginable as to car construction possible.

They looked more like modifieds than midgets and the track was dirt!

The little track was adjacent north of the Devil's Bowl Big Track where the big boys ran.

I was almost 6 years old in these photos and note some of the Dallas drivers and their cars.

PHOTO 1 (top)

Warm up and trial runs to get initiated to the track for the first race attended.

PHOTO 2

Driver unknown but winner of a race pictured here (1956) and the other guy is not Wally of Leave It To Beaver although kinda looks like him doesn't he?

PHOTO 3

Prior to start up. Note the Dad's are ready to push us off for the start of a race. I am in the second row-inside in my 1st Quarter Midget #7

PHOTO 4

This photo reflects me on the right in Midget #7. The driver on the left (two tone midget) is unknown from Dallas.

PHOTO 5

Taking warm up laps at the Devil's Bowl 1/4 Midget Track ( 1956 ) Randy on outside (black helment) and note the letter "R" in the bumper which was customary for midgets of all sizes. The "R" was for Randy in this case.

PHOTO 6

The last photo is actually my very first race in Dallas Texas at the 1/4 Midget track next to the Devil's Bowl track. Yep, a cold coke, a new blue striped shirt, a fresh buzzed haircut, and a piece of masking tape added to #7 due to a local driver with that number already taken from Dallas, so for that night is was #77.

I was 5 years old and ready for the big time thrill of my very first race. The year was 1956 and both driver and mechanic (Dad) were to become initiated to the racing scene.

Needless to say, we both had a lot to learn from that night forward but, I think in the end result we did pretty good with all considered in our 1/4 Midget years..

Oh yes, Hay Bales made great fences for the little midgets!

Everything has a beginning and I guess an end.

This is a true example of infant Quarter Midget racing at it's earliest form as I remember and participated in those early days of Quarter Midget racing..

post-8338-1206496114_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206496188_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206496224_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206502128_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206936178_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1207356977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

THE WILD BUNCH!

Here's some of the very first drivers at Gulfgate Race Track.

Front Row (left to right)

Randy Coon, Unknown, Dempy Rezofy, Joey Jordon, Mike Rezofy, Bruce Boenig

Second Row (left to right)

Junior Wingo, Ralph Middleton, Sandra Honea, Jeff Lynn, Coggie Pearce, Glenda Parker.

BOTTOM PHOTO

Another race won and celebrated by both the driver and the chief mechanic.

post-8338-1206593781_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206594631_thumb.jpg

This is really neat stuff to see I race quarters from the late 80's to mid 90's running every class from jr. novice, sr. stock, lt mod, hvy B, light AA, heavy AA. Of course the AA class was my favorite class to run. Question for you on the first page the car that is being tipped on its side to check the oil drainage was that a AA car looky at it the way it is there and remembering how my motor was they look the same.

Josh,

Thanks for visiting the site forum!

The quarter midget you are referring to was a "B" Modified engine in this perticular race.

The engine was a Continental with a finned aftermarket aluminum head but the midget was classified as a B' Modified.

The aluminum finned heads were allowed to keep the engines running cooler and disapate heat.

I raced against this car many times in the B' modified class.

Don't recall Larry ever racing this car in any other classification while I was in the circuit. Go Karts were taking over as the new fad in those days and Quarters were losing their punch in Houston.

Never figured that one out..

Thanks for your question and interest!

Edited by Midget 85

The photo below is driver Ralph Middleton.

Ralph drove the metallic brown "Moss Midget" #1 at the Gulf Freeway Track in Houston and is caught in this photo after winning a race in 1958

post-8338-1206753371_thumb.jpg

The photo below is actually a newspaper clipping from 1959-60 era representing drivers from Lollypop Speedway in Pasadena,Texas.

We will come back with names of the one's we recognize soon. But first, we need to do a little research to accurately name the drivers.

post-8338-1206764573_thumb.jpg

SAN ANTOINIO

One of the winners below is taking the honors with a trophy presented by the trophy queen!

I need help with this photo since the driver was from San Antonio so, maybe Doug McBride will recognize this driver or anyone else that sees this shot.

He is driving a Pacemaker 1/4 midget, (a California manufactured car)..

If I'm not mistaken, the lil' Trophy Queen doing the honors was Doug McBride's sister here.

post-8338-1206767209_thumb.jpg

Below is another photograph of Midget 85 between turns 1 and 2 at the Gulfgate race track in 1958.

Low to the inside and drifting to the fence line to check out the gear ratio in warm ups.

The challenge was to enter the turns as smooth as possible and gain the RPMS coming out of the turns and on the straight away without breaking or bogging the engine.

My trick was to make a square out of the track and never let off or either ease off slightly to keep the momentum and maintain the RPMS.

The bottom photo close up shows the left front wheel coming off the pavement ever so slightly which was not uncommon for handling purposes. The grip on the steering wheel was not uncommon either!

Midget 85 certainly was a smooth and well engineered race car for it's time as the suspension did it's work when setting up for the tracks.

My favorite starting point was always the outside row and with a higher gear ratio to sorta "lasso" the heard inward. While others were letting off to enter the turns, I had it flat out and driving wide and passing most on the outside groove. It didn't always work out that well but, 85 cruised best running wide open and kissing the fence. Yeah, the track was longer that way but the speed was faster also..

I guess you could say I made a big track out of a smaller one..

When starting on the inside pole position, I always led the pace lap "High and Wide" at a clippity pace to give me a slight advantage to gain speed and then dived to the inside of the turns sorta straight across and thus keeping the competition close to the outer edge of the track once the Green flag dropped. By the end of the straight away I was full throttled and aiming for a straight shot across the curves eliminating any gradual turns.

Anyway, I enjoyed the speed and loved to watch the suspension on the right front wheel doing the movements as the horizontal shocks were working out the bite on the track.

Little racer tips I adopted during my racing days..

Probably wouldn't work for everyone else but the saying goes that everyone finds their own GROOVE..

post-8338-1206929868_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206930201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

CHRITMAS GREETINGS 1959

Competitors but friends were reflected by the Christmas Greeting cards sent to us by fellow racers at Christmas Time.

It's amazing I still have these cards after all these years and the two below were from the Schilds and Pearces that I raced against long ago.

In the Schilds Christmas wish is pictured from left to right Jerry Schild, sister (forgot name) and Larry Schild.

The Pearce family is pictured from left to right Debbie and Coggie Pearce, both in Pacemaker Midgets.

post-8338-1206938168_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1206938210_thumb.jpg

QUARTER MIDGET FUN FOR WHOLE FAMILY!

MOTHERS DAY RACE

Quarter Midget Racing was the envy of all. Parents were no different to want to participate in the sport.

Mothers Day Race in 1958 gave all "Moms" a chance to participate in the Quarter Midget Sport and a special Powder Puff Race was arranged in honor of this special day to recognize the Moms!

This photo reflects my Mom at age 27 here to see what she could do with other Moms on the track.

Driving a 1957 Wahlborg Midget with a strictly stock engine..sponsored by Foley Newsom..go Mom Go!

She did manage to finish second on this special day.

Getting her in the little midget was a challenge but getting her her out was even a greater one for she wanted to keep driving and besides she had long legs which was interesting to maneuver.

Quarter Midget Racing was fun for the whole family..

post-8338-1207356319_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

Larry,

Thanks for updating us on Linda Schild pictured above in the Christmas card photo.

We were little kids back then and were friends in many ways around the race tracks. I do appreciate the help for we want to include and recognize everyone in these photos from so long ago.

It's amazing how brain cells seem to slip away and names become a challenge to remember.

We were saddened to hear of Willie Mae's departing. She was very involved in the racing scene from Quarter Midgets to Modifieds..

I remember her sitting next to me in the granstands at Meyer Speedway the night Charlie Ray went over the turn three wall in the modified 100 lap race. She remained calm during the alarming episode, even when Tatar Pete requested her to report to the main pit gate after the accident. That was 1961 or 62 the best I remember.

Many thanks for the visit and input.

Edited by Midget 85

IN THE BEGINNING of QUARTER MIDGETS

Here's a few shots of a Quarter Midget that was built in the 50's by a local automotive repair shop unknown.

As you can see, the fun of building these minature racers was becoming popular everywhere.

It wasn't long before a few started their very own manufacturing companies and began building the little midget racers in mass quantities available for order.

Most companies were from California or the Northeast section of the country where open cockpit racing was ever so popular.

Anything around the shop and a little imagination was all it took to begin a new fad of little league racing. Engines varied from Briggs and Stratton to any lawn mower engine that could be adapted for the little midgets.

You might look at it as a challenge to build a functional "Toy" racer that bacame ever so popular..

post-8338-1207616880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

1/4 MIDGET ADDS

Here's an example of some of the ads from various magazines from the 50's with Quarter Midget adds found in Car Craft and other automobile publications.

Factory made midgets began springing up everywhere.

Engine parts and performance aftermarket add ons were also parr for the racing scene as Quarter Midgets popularity in the 50's began to soar!

Dig the performance parts, cranks, and special gear box set ups..

post-8338-1207628309_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1207628728_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1207629377_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1207629446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

MORE..

We have focused on my days of Quarter Midget racing and trying to include more from others..

I drove to Denny Burton's shop yesterday evening to see if we could find additional archives of our early Quarter Midget days. It was a brief visit, for Denny was busy in the shop but we did find a few old newspaper clippings.

Here is one of Denny Burton and Larry Schild taken from an old newspaper clipping that we will start with.

This was in the early years for both Denny and Larry around 1959.

Denny in #9 and Larry in #99... both being sponsored by MJ Burton of Burton Motors and both Wahlborg Midgets.

Many of our readers on this forum will remember Denny and Larry moving on up to the bigger tracks to carry on the family tradition of racing.

We all know the legends of MJ and Don Burton along with Charlie Schild that raced on the big tracks while Denny and Larry observed. They would soon follow their foot steps..

It was fun racing with these guys in our youthful beginnings.

post-8338-1207714973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

The following paper clipping is an article in one of the speedway newspapers at Big H Speedway dated 1983.

This article reflects back on some of the history of Denny Burton both in his Quarter Midget and Sprint Car days of the past.

Denny would return to the racing scene after his debut in Quarter Midgets.

I tried to scan this and make it readable for the website forum for all to read.

DENNY BURTON ( article below )

post-8338-1208133018_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208133400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

50's QUARTER MIDGET FOUND!

Over the past few years I have been searching for a long lost 1/4 Midget to restore.

At first, my quest was to find an old Meyer Speedway Modified as a project.

After exhausted research and efforts, I turned to find anything to restore relating to those early days of racing.

I recently got word of what someone thought was a Go Kart that was seen in a junk heap but wasn't sure. It wasn't until this person mentioned that it had a body of some sort that probably was part of the Kart.

What the heck, thought I would check it out and see for myself.

After getting directions, I located the site and paid a visit which was in the Downtown Heights area of Houston.

After asking to see this "Go-Kart" that was supposedly there, the older gentleman led me to the site in a field behind his house and there it was..

Immediately, I grabbed the camera and started taking shots of what was a 1957-58 Wahlborg 1/4 Midget. I simply couldn't believe what I was viewing.

Without hesitation, I asked to purchase this "Go Kart" known as a 1/4 Quarter Midget!

The gentleman said the car had been there for some time and was dropped off at his place to be junked!

I tried to identify the car as one I raced against in my earlier days but, the car had gone through several patch up and butchered attempts during it's life time.

NOTE: There is one giveaway about the frame I noticed right away. Attempts to lighten the the chassis was obvious by the slots that had been torched out (slotted) out of the main frame rails. It was a cheap way to lighten the weight. This tells me that this car was owned by a serious competitor to find every trick to win!

Most of the car was in rough shape from sitting in the weather and some pieces were missing.

Quickly I looked at the engine and determined it had a "B" Modified engine mounted to it's frame. Could it have been one I drove many years ago??

Upon further searching, I found the fiberglass body pieces in the grown up grass near by and quickly grabbed up and began putting the pieces back together to see what was a classic 1/4 midget known as a Wahlborg!

Apparently, someone was interested in the midget at one time and gave up on finding parts or other reasons unknown to us. It's hard to believe it was abandoned for JUNK!

We will never really know the full story of this little midget and it's history, who drove it, who it belonged to. It most likely was a Houston 1/4 Midget and surely raced at Gulfgate or somewhere in the 50's.

PHOTOS 1 - 3

These photos reflect what I saw at first glance and immediately noticed the familiar steering wheel and throttle pedal with the ever so "W" embossed in the casting.

It looked like a naked and degraded midget at first sight left abandoned for ruin..

The engine is a definite "Continental" silently sleeping over the years of neglect and.. locked up.

The Amal Carburetor is still attached to the little engine as a reminder of it's performance in days of old.

A spindle is missing on the right front but, the chain is still in tact to the gear box and drive axle..

A big lump in my throat as I glared at the little midget as if it were saying "Save Me"..

Below are some of the photos I took on sight..

post-8338-1208225265_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208225428_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208225519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

MORE..

The following photos show a little more detail as I found more of the pieces of the lost Wahlborg.

My heart is racing as I find more pieces scattered around the area that appeared to have been abandoned some time ago. Perhaps some kids had it to joy ride in, or it was left behind.

The seat belt still attached to the frame, the rear nerf bars are missing, and the fiberglass panels have been patched many times and slightly modified.

It appears an attempt to add Golf Cart Wheels were in the making and the Roll Bar was broken from it's mounts. The Brake Handle knob is missing along with the interior and gas tank. Attempts to find the front and rear bumpers are exhausted.

No matter what, it has found a safe home with me and attempts to bring it back to dignity will go forward from here on.

Finding this Quarter Midget is like being a champion again in 1958!

Wish me luck!

post-8338-1208227595_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208227683_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208227767_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208229254_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1208231990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85