Another track bites the dust...

Smokin' Armadillo

Didn't I just read "somewhere" that a Texas law had been passed ,very recently, that made it much harder for a business to be hurt by these sorts of complaints when the business was there "first". It wasn't aimed at racetracks per se' .

Does anyone else remember that?

Jay

On Sunday there was between 2,000-3,000 fans, I might be wrong, but there was more than last year,

It is amazing that that race only draws that number of fans.

I can remember the first two All Americans were standing room only on qualifying and race days, and a big crowd on the practice day. Even the old bleachers at the bottom of the main grandstand were full up of folks. We saw great racing all the way around the track.

Here's another interesting bit of information...a few weeks ago I was up late studying for a test and there were 3 guys on their crotch rockets blasting up and down my street. This is a residential area with kids, and this was during the week at about 1:30 am on I think it was a Wed. morning. I called the police, and I saw several of my neighbors outside their front porches w/ phone in hand...but NO POLICE SHOWED UP!!! This was a noise and safety issue in a residential area, but they couldn't show up to fix that problem. I think that developer is resting comfortably in that judges pocket, and some in the jury may be expecting a good deal on a new plot of land. It's all who you know, and these people know everyone. Oh, my neighborhood is a little less than a mile from the track; I could just barely hear some of the cars (modifieds didn't run much in the way of mufflers). Even in the parking lot it wasn't that loud! They want loud, they should go sit in the infield of CCMS!!! I think maybe CCMS should send up some of the super streets and pure stock cars to show these people what loud is! Bastards! :angry:

It will be lit at "dark-thirty" on Nov. 19th at Hot Rod Hill. Gates open at 4pm, there will be on-site parking (highly unlikely you'll find a spot...) until 6pm. After that, you'll have to park somewhere else and walk, or catch a shuttle bus from Texas Hall of Fame or Veteran's Park. Last year my wife and I parked at the gas station on Tabor Rd. and walked; on the way back we hitched a ride from one of the neighbors of the track (...wonder if he was one complaining about the noise...). I don't live too far from the track, but it'd be a heck of a walk for me! Anyhoo, here is a link for the more information...

http://www.studentbonfire.com/

Weather permitting, it'll be fun! Last year was nasty wet! The parking lot at the track was filled with water and deep and very slick mud. They put a long rope on each side of the track's exit ramp for us people to pull themselves up the hill. Mud people everywhere! Still, it was fun!

Lest we forget....................... This is the '98 stack, just before they lit it............ The year before the collapse. I was there that year. My younger son had spent a lot of time on that stack. Thank GOD he wasn't there in '99. You can't even get him to talk about it now.

post-2-1131819260.jpg

Sorry, I kinda got this thread off its original subject matter.

There IS a way to combat neighbors who complain of too much noise. There is a natural tendency to treat them as adversaries. That is a big mistake. What track owners must do is a little recon work in the areas surrounding the track. Identify the malcontents. Once this is done, the owners must make sure these people are supplied with complementary tickets. When they show up, they need to be treated special. This will make them the track's allie, and not its enemy. This makes them part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Archived