CRAIG ROPER 1 WIN CRATE

STEVE GREEN 1 WIN CRATE

KEITH PATRICK 1 WIN CRATE

BUD CARROLL 1 WIN CRATE

CRATE'S 6 WIN'S

305'S 5 WIN'S

BRYAN MERIDETH 2 WIN'S 305

JON DENHAM 1 WIN 305

ALL THREE 305'S HAVE A DIFFERENT ENGINE BUILDER.

Edited by GUNDOG33

Interesting stuff Gunnar. I figured that the crates had a slight advantage. I still think they may have a slight edge in qualifying, but apparently the field is pretty even on the track.

BTW, which crate motor is legal for ARTS competition? I check the rule book, but it doesn't list it.

Edited by ss99

why would they have an advantage in qualifying?

i thought hmp late models ran the 400?

Maybe I should have stated that better. I think the crates have an advantage over the 305, and it is most apparent in qualifying. However, during a race, things often happen that negate whatever slight horsepower advantage one truck may have over another.

You can tell us better than anyone else who has posted thus far. When your racing side by side or nose to tail with a 305, does the 350 seem to pull better?

The houston late models run the same motor as the Trucks. The lowest HP CT Crate Engine. When the correct springs, etc are run on the crates, they are equal with the best 305's!

OK, I'll bite, because I've read those claims before on here but have never been convinced. Assuming that we're talking about a legal 305 here, both motors have stock cranks, stock rods, and cast flat-tops. The 305 has a very mild cam and low-performance heads. The 350 has better heads by far but less compression. Seems like either the "best" 305s are bending the rules quite a bit or they in fact are at a disadvantage to the 350.

Chase, there is no disadvantage to being able to hand pick your own parts. Example , buy 5 sets of pistons find the lightest one and machine the rest to that, same with rods and pistons and so on. so you can see with the right budget your 305 can actually accelerate better than the guy who bought a set that the lightest piston in his set is 10 grams hevier thats 80grams at the top of the motor and so on. i dont believe that the crates are hand picked and then machined to tolerences, more like picked out of a bucket and then installed. I cant wait till next year and i can have an engine built :D .Besides the trucks are based on keeping speed thruogh the corners not acceleration off the corner, in my opinion it is a momentum thing.

it is definetley momentum- like rusty said the 305's are machined and have alot more low end torque....you have to keep momentum with both- but the crate will punish you awful if you fail to. set up is more key in this series than horsepower. it's like running a plate at every track, even corpus.....jon is the guy who could probably answer any of the questions on advantage to disadvantage......but gunnar has shown , it's pretty equal......and that's what makes the trucks- THE TRUCKS.

now tell terry d. to bring on the elephant and put the midget in the cannon because the circus is coming to town.

SS99

There's more to it than just throwing stock parts , into a 305, and making it run. We have over 5 years of R&D in our motor, making it one of the best 305's out there. There's cam timing, good balancing, correct compression, correct heads, and the correct person putting all of this together. Just like a restrictor plate motor, we are looking for 1 hp here and there, not 20-30. 305's also run more valve spring than the 350's are supposed to, not to mention more compression, and I think the camshaft is a little larger. There's also differnet "types" of pistons to use in the 305, it's not just cut and dry throw some parts together and run.

It also takes someone to drive these trucks, they aren't your normal race car. It better be handling, and you had better be on the gas most of the time. (unless your in the air upside down)

BTW - FEEL FREE TO COME LOOK AT MY ENGINE ANYTIME, IT HANGS WITH THE CRATES, AND IT'S LEGAL AS IT GETS!

I feel like there is an advantage with the crate engine. I raced behind one in san antonio and kyle and it felt like the crates get off maybe close to the same as a 305 but they run harder it felt like down the straitaway. Im sure all the guys with the crate engines will argue this but until they get a 305 or 302 they really dont know.

Just curious.... Anyone take a 305 or 302 long block (intake to pan) and compare it to the weight of a 350 crate long block (intake to pan)?

Might be interesting to see the difference.