Austinites Should Prepare For Power Outages

abrungot

Hurricane Rita is now forecast to become a Category 4 storm when it makes landfall in Texas and may reach South Central Texas as a strong tropical storm.

The City of Austin says that it is important that Austin/Travis County residents make preparations for this storm including possible loss of power and some delays in receiving safety services.

People should specifically assure that they have the following on hand: food for one week, water for three days, prescription medicines for three weeks, medical equipment and supplies for family members with special medical conditions, flashlights and extra batteries, battery powered portable radio, telephone that is not dependent on outside power (most cordless phones require power for the base station unit).

Cell phones may not work due to network congestion during major emergencies.

Well one of the reasons they are not cancelling is called storm insurance. They could of cancelled it like we did with our race but they wouldnt get any money back that they had to spend to get the talent in. There is certain guidelines set by the insurance company that they have to follow to go were they cancel it.

listening to radio talk show in austin this morning ,alot of people from houston who spent countless hours on the road to get to austin are not happy after the hotels and motels told them they had to vacate the rooms they just got because of the ACL music festival-they said they understand making money but this is a crisis and people are stranded,people were sleeping on there cars on the side of hiway 290 last nite and all they wanted was a place to lay their head and rest.The shelters are full and nowhere else to turn.the way i see it, the concert goers ought to give up the rooms and sleep in their cars or the park where the concert is,they wont be using the rooms very much at all and going to be plastered drunk anyway,they want to take a bath,jump in zilker parks spring fed swimming pool where the concerts at.CANT WE ALL GET ALONG

Many of these people are coming from out of state and probably have had these rooms for weeks if not months in advance. If you were coming in to Austin to watch a race that you left for at say 12:00 and came home (hotel) around 10:00+, would you honestly say "You know, I'll just sleep in my car so that someone else can have my room?"... probably not. Granted the people who are evacuating have much worse circumstances, but no one wants to sleep in their car.

The promoters may be dumb, but the people that show up are the real dumb ones....

Hmm, name calling aint gonna' help anyone find a place to stay.

Between me and 2 of my neighbors, we have 6 RV's and about 20 people either here or on the way.

Guess what we are gonna' do to help them take their minds off the 18 plus hours they spent on the road to get here?

WE are going to the ACL Music Festival.

I guess all the people that have come to Austin haven't been listening to the radio.

Every station I have been listening to have said there are no rooms available anywhere south of Waco.

Last time I checked Austin is still South of Waco.

Don't want to sound cold hearted, but why would a person stop in Austin when they know, or should know Austin has been booked for weeks?

like they dont have a concert everytime somebody farts in austin and coming from out of state,you would hope common sense would kick in sometime,you got one of the biggest ass storms in history with a mind of its own heading to the texas coast and then where-i wouldnt have to worry about giving up my room,i would be smart enough to stay home just from seeing what they're showing on tv-you go where there's going to be trouble,you'll be in trouble

Austin, TX Make this my favorite city

Current conditions (as of 9:51 AM) Today's forecast

°F | °C

FairFair

86°

Feels like: 88°

Barometer: 29.87 in Steady

Dewpoint: 65°

Humidity: 49%

Visibility: 10.00 miles

Wind: 6mph VAR

UV Index: 3 Moderate

Sunrise: 7:19 AM

Sunset: 7:26 PM

Observed at Austin/Mabry.

All times shown are local to Austin.

Today Mostly Sunny

Hi: 95°

Lo: 76°

Mostly Sunny

8 AM Sunny 77°

Sunny

12 PM Mostly Sunny 88°

Mostly Sunny

6 PM Mostly Cloudy 91°

Mostly Cloudy

Tomorrow

Sep. 24PM Showers/WindPM Showers/Wind

Sunday

Sep. 25Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy

Looks like great weather for a Music Festival!!

I am one of those dumb ones going to the music festival. It doesnt matter if I am wet or dry, at least it gives me a much needed break. It gives the people from Houston something to do since they had to leave.

That's what I'm talking about!

Between me and my girlfriend, we have volunteered over 40 hours at the Cap. Area Food Bank, worked many overtime hours at the hospital, put up as many friends and family as our house will hold

and trying to make a living at the same time, it is time for me and my family to take a much needed break.

like they dont have a concert everytime somebody farts in austin and coming from out of state,you would hope common sense would kick in sometime,you got one of the biggest ass storms in history with a mind of its own heading to the texas coast and then where-i wouldnt have to worry about giving up my room,i would be smart enough to stay home just from seeing what they're showing on tv-you go where there's going to be trouble,you'll be in trouble

I've never been to the ACL, but it's not just another concert. And, if you had paid $150+ for two tickets, spent maybe $600 for two round-trip tickets and probably $300+ on 2 or three nights hotel stay ($1000+), you would honestly "be smart enough to stay home just from seeing what they're showing on tv"? Especially if the forcast for THAT city is not nearly as bad as it was? For us the equivilent would be a speed weekend at your favorite track that you've been waiting a year or more to go to. Maybe $$ means more to me, but I wouldn't waste a grand or so just to sit at home and see ACL re-run's on KLRU.

thats what i was going to say.........have you ever cancelled a room at the last minute, they still charge your credit card and then add on top of that non refundable airfare tickets...........call me cold blooded but what is done is a tragedy, but there are other places they can go to........im sure there are hotels further north or west of austin...........why is austin the only place that they have to go to..........why should someone who had a room booked well in advance get bumped for someone who could choose another city to stay in.........i will be so glad when all of this hurricane crap is over with, i am so tired of turning on the tv and seeing katrina this and rita that, get over it all ready........

...i will be so glad when all of this hurricane crap is over with, i am so tired of turning on the tv and seeing katrina this and rita that, get over it all ready........

Danny,

Millions of people are being directly impacted by Katrina and Rita. I, for one, am very grateful that our news reporting systems are working overtime to keep us all informed.

If you're sick of looking at it on TV, don't turn on the TV.

Nick Holt

You guys got to remember we're still not out of the safe zone yet this thing could take a left turn and go back where predicted. I was listening on xm and they said all this has to do is go 50 mile west and it could hit galveston head on. Then the next problem is the high pressure system up north they said if the system doesnt split then storm will just spin back around and could come back south again like allison did. If the system breaks it will carry on north.

Rita Scenario

there are people in jarrel tx. that had to just depend on their home owners ins. i guess they were of the wrong race(opps did i just say that out loud)

i guess it's all based off the #'s affected. the people that need help but are self depended will never see the same assistance as those that were unwilling to help themselves in the 1st place...do you think al or jesse will come to beaumont?