Four teams receive fines, penalties after Loudon

abrungot

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR issued fines and penalties Monday to four Nextel Cup Series teams, resulting from rule violations this past weekend at New Hampshire International Speedway.

Kasey Kahne, driver of the No. 9 Dodge, was fined $25,000 because of an on-track altercation with another competitor during a caution period and placed on probation for the remainder of the year. Kahne violated Section 12-4-A of the series rule book (actions detrimental to stock car racing).

Kahne was also penalized 25 driver championship points and car owner Ray Evernham losing 25 owner championship points.

"There have been a growing number of incidents lately where drivers have taken matters into their own hands. Such unsafe and inappropriate behavior has to stop," said NASCAR President Mike Helton.

"NASCAR will use whatever means necessary to stop it."

Lance McGrew, crew chief for the No. 25 Chevrolet driven by Brian Vickers, was fined $10,000 and placed on probation for the remainder of the year. The No. 25 team had its primary car confiscated after the weekend's initial inspection process, due to an unapproved car body.

Vickers was penalized 25 driver points and car owner Mary Hendrick was penalized 25 owner points. The team was in violation of Section 12-4-A and Section 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment that do not conform to NASCAR rules).

Robby Gordon, driver of the No. 7 Chevrolet, was fined $25,000 for attempting to hit another competitor's car during a caution period, and then throwing his helmet at another competitor's car. Gordon also was fined $10,000 for use of improper language during a television interview during the race.

Each fine was accompanied by penalties against Gordon of 25 driver points and 25 owner points against James Smith. In addition, Gordon has been placed on probation for the remainder of the year. In each instance, Gordon was in violation of Section 12-4-A.

No. 15 Chevrolet driver Michael Waltrip, involved in the on-track altercations with Gordon, was fined $10,000 and penalized 25 driver points because of an inappropriate gesture during a televised broadcast, while car owner Teresa Earnhardt was penalized 25 owner points. Waltrip was also in violation of Secton 12-4-A.

the $$$ these guys make-that loose change-funny they havent sat nobodys A*# out since Harvick.Lost a few points,the national association i'm in just took a drivers "points for the whole year" away a few weeks ago for 3 crew members not having wristbands and he's on probation for 1 year just for violating "the race credentials policy"-reasoning is,they can always come up with $$$ to pay a fine,but its hard to come up with a season worth of points they worked for and that hurts.And its in the rulebook what will happen if you violate this policy-They knew it,they did it,they suffer for it

Edited by Tommy33

I would like to apologize to Brian Callaway and the staff at Thunder Hill. I used to race there and always held them for the actions on the track. Seems I used to think they could or should have done something about the stupidity that was happening on his race track. Now after I have had a chance to look in from the outside, it seems he is not able to fix or cure alot of problems happening at the track or on the track. It really has to come from the drivers and the crews and the fans first. I used to be the Robby Gordon of THR and was once called a Tony Stewart. I always thought I had to retaliate to stand up for myself. Well since NASCAR has had the same problems and has had a hell of a time trying to do something about it, how could any one of us hold the track management at fault? The fault lies within. When the racers of THR figure this out, it might be too late.

Look at the big guys... Do you want to be looked at like a Robby Gordon? Drivers need to make sure and talk about the issues at hand if not that night, before they compete the next week. People have stress in there lives they take out on others. Next time you get bumped, maybe it is a mistake someone wishes they could take back. I can tell you first hand that the crashing of other cars to retaliate is not worth it.

Red Shark Racing # 15

John Lasker

This behavour was rampant at CC Motor Speedway for years but lately things have gotton much better,in fact the roudyness has almost ceased.I think the main reason is several things.First the track manager has demonstrated he will not tolorate viloence by anyone to anyone before,during,or after the races,period.And it doesnt matter who is involved.They will get suspensions,fines,ect,the punishment to fit the crime.Next,the drivers themselves have realized that when you loose your temper and react out of anger,you loose,period.The ultimate revenge is to smile and outrun the person you are fueding with.As long as the track watches for bad driving and does not allow it,the driver does not have to " defend himself "or " get revenge ".I have never won a race when I was mad and after someone.I usually dont finish.Lastly,I think the fire and safty crew had a lot to do with calming things down.Whenever an altercation is about to erupt,they are on top of things immediately.They will step between the arguing parties without regard to their own safty and they are some healthy guys at that.I also like to think the Thunder car people may have influnced somewhat,we have had some rough times but were able to work through them.We always ask the question,is anybody here soley to cause harm to another driver?In an accident can you totally elimanate the driver error as a cause and absolutely say a driver wants to hurt someone?If there was,we as a groupe would make that person feel unwelcome enough to not race with us.An angry Thunder driver will say " darn it,this aint cool!"And when someone does get wrecked,every team will offer whatever help they can to get the wrecked car back in the race.Also we as drivers watch out for the less experienced drivers and dont put them in a situation that would be dangerious for them.Like trying to go 4 wide with a poorly handeling car who could cause a chain reaction werck.I guess what Im trying to say is respect for the other teams brings respect to you.And its correct to say the Nascar guys are not helping local racing in any way,you cannot compair them to us in any respect.We dont make our living doing this and dont have a world audience.It remides me when I was young and would go to wrestling matches and watch the guys act like they wanted to kill each other.After the night was over I would hang around outside and watch these guys get in the same car and drive back to San Antonio together.Nascar is a show.Ours is show what you got.Our fellow racers are not our enemies,just misunderstood sometimes.And remember this.....CC Speedway was at one time the meanest,fightingest,fudingest place to race at just like every other race track when it began in 1948 but is now more respectable than some basketball games and with going on 58 years of existance.And no help from Nascar. Most of the other roudy tracks from back then dont exist anymore:D

The punishment handed out by NASCAR definately does not fit the crimes.These drivers that caused a lot of damaged cars should had been suspended.NASCAR was saying during the race that punishment could range from fines to suspensions of 2 to 9 races and then took the minimum.Maybe we should send Owen over there to hand out real punishment!

in fact the roudyness has almost ceased. Thumper you must not have been watching the PS's the last couple of months!

same thing i said in another post kiss-look like he started to give him the one finger salute,he was starting to bend some fingers and realized the camera was on and stuck his whole hand out the window-guess they said he had intentions,or thought that was enough

that's possible marc, cause he was starting to bend some fingers and then next thing you know they where straight and his hand kinda went out the window and he made a waving motion-he should of swerved over and knocked gordon off his feet and been done with it,said he didnt see him, he was getting a drink of water and looked up and BAM,wasnt expecting him to be in the middle of the track.