Old Supermodified Pic

Budman

Clyde "Papa" Johnson of Abilene was a Friday night "regular" in the super-modified races at Austin Speed-o-rama in this car in the early 60's. This is the yellow #4 car. I can't figure out though, what that extremely long exhaust pipe in this photo is all about???

Clyde's son Charles was also a "regular" in his black and white #11 at the time. His small block chevy sported 6 2bbl carbs.

post-30-1126978803_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Clyde "Papa" Johnson of Abilene was a Friday night "regular" in the super-modified races at Austin Speed-o-rama in this car in the early 60's. This is the yellow #4 car. I can't figure out though, what that extremely long exhaust pipe in this photo is all about???

Clyde's son Charles was also a "regular" in his black and white #11 at the time. His small block chevy sported 6 2bbl carbs.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this car and driver won the first annual Liberty Bell 300 at Houston's Meyer Speedway in July, '63.

I seem to recall the car and driver, but I can't remember the exhaust. As for as the '63 Liberty Bell 300 at Houston's Meyer Speedway, Bill White was fast, but did not finish. I wonder if he might remember anything about it, but I have no contact with him and only casually know him.

I seem to recall the car and driver, but I can't remember the exhaust. As for as the '63 Liberty Bell 300 at Houston's Meyer Speedway, Bill White was fast, but did not finish. I wonder if he might remember anything about it, but I have no contact with him and only casually know him.

Can't talk about the Liberty Bell 300 without mentioning George Nash. He won four of those, lapping the field in the process. I haven't seen George in a number of years but heard he was doing well.

Can't talk about the Liberty Bell 300 without mentioning George Nash. He won four of those, lapping the field in the process. I haven't seen George in a number of years but heard he was doing well.

Wonder if anybody has a list of the Liberty Bell winners?

I don't know what year it was but Joe Smith whom Bill White drove for (8 consective years) told me recently that Bill had a 3 lap lead during one of the Liberty Bell events when it came apart. here is a pic of Bill drivig the Joe Smith Modified in 1971. Note the Harley #1 stickers on the door panel. One for each A-Main win.

[resized by Nick Holt, 11/10/07]

post-3-1194720630_thumb.jpg

Archived