Stolen Trailer

racerjim2

Just got off the phone with the police that took my report , wont even come out to try to take finger prints on things the thiefs moved around,this is the second trailer I have had stolen in less than one year.I had a coupler Lock installed on it and they still got it.The cost of racing just keeps going up.Anyone got any Ideas ..... sorry just really mad right now.

In Dec. 1998 John and i had our trailer burgularized and had tools and our winch stolen,the cops just did the same thing as with you.Then as we were moving out to Mike Carlocks our shop was broken into and we lost all our tools and other things,again the only report was taken over the phone.[edited out by Nick Holt, 9/6/05]

Jim we used to put a chain around one axle of our trailer and go to a large utility pole with a large padlock.

Very sorry to hear about you guys' misfortune, but putting the cops down isn't going to make it any better. Take your frustrations out on the turd thiefs, not the cops. It's easy to point fingers until you've walked in their shoes. Taking prints is still a good investigative tool, but it's not like people are lead to believe by watching CSI. Finding a good print is not much different than finding a needle in a haystack, and then it's no good without a suspect to match it to. The best tool in solving one of these is to keep good records of your serial numbers so that they may be entered into the state-wide computer as stolen. Then when the crook gets greedy and pawns a tool or gets stopped pulling the stolen trailer, he's toast. Best of luck getting your stuff back.

ss99 makes some excellent points. Coming to the scene of the crime isn't going to do alot of good. Trailers and motor vehicles are typically insured and I personally would prefer they spent that time getting drunks off the streets. I've lost several very close friends to DWI but I've never been more than inconveninced by a stolen trailer.

Getting your trailer stolen sucks. Getting a call in the middle of the night to identify the body of a loved one sucks worse. jp

I can tell you that the police definately care about your stolen vehicle. The other post from ss99 is correct. From some of the words that he used, I think he is a fellow police officer. Chances are real good that the trailer left your area immediately after they took it. These guys are getting better and better at what they do. Getting the insurance is the best bet, unfortunately it is also what makes the coverage so expensive. Nothing sucks worse than a thief! I promise that we do all that we can to get these guys. I am sorry that this happened to you.

FYI - in the future, if it makes you feel better to have an officer come to your home, tell them when you call. Unless they are in a real crisis at the time, they will not typically mind sending someone to your home. Officers prefer to get to know the citizens too. After all, police serve the community.

HLM38

While we all feel for anyone who gets something stolen, right now I think the San Antonio PD has a full plate with the taskings they have been assigned since the arrival of the people of New Orleans.

Priorities.

Sorry about your misfortune. [edited out by Nick Holt, 9/6/05] Finding a good print at the crime scene that actually belongs to the suspect is exactly like finding a needle in a haystack. Most crooks now days have heard about gloves. I have submitted hundreds of prints and never have i had a positive match with a person in the data base. SS99 had good advice, record all the serial numbers of all your valuables. Thats the best chance of recovering you valuables. Of all the theft reports I have taken 98% of the owners had no serial numbers of the items stolen. Keep good records. Since some people think that DWI's are a joke, they should be around an accident scene where a child or a family was killed because some idiot chose to drive home drunk.

Check your homeowners policy... that insurance should cover it.

As far as keeping it from being stolen, putting something on the coupler doesn't do anything. They just drag it by the chains to a buddy's land so they can take their time. If they're really good (or connected) they use a tow truck to keep from damaging the tongue. Depending on who stole it, it'll either have a new VIN plate affixed to it or they'll smuggle drugs/mojados across the border. I think the latter only applies if you're in or near the valley.

The only way to keep it from getting lifted is a chain between the wheels. If you want to get really fancy, bury a truck frame under some concrete and chain the wheels together and to the buried frame. You can even leave the coupler free to taunt 'em. There is also a trailer version of lo-jack, but that raises the price of poker anymore.

My favorite detterent was the following in huge letters on the side:

Buckeye's Used Septic

Your sh*t is our bread and butter!

1-800-USD-SPTC

Sorry to hear about you bad luck. I along with a good deal of other people I know put between 500 and 1000 miles a week down on roads in SA and the surrouding area, if you want post a description of the trailer, along with license plate number and anything else you think will help and I will get the word out. [edited out by Nick Holt, 9/6/05] but letting as large a group of people as you can know about the trailer can help, I've actually seen that work. Was looking forward to seeing you get a car back out at the track regular, to bad.

On a side note, for anyone that is interested, we've got a custom and very inexpensive enclosed collar lock system on our trailer that is pretty much fullproof, and very scary looking to boot, if your interested PM me your email and Ill send some pics.

Kind of a pain in the @$$, but what about puting it up on a jack stand and pulling a tire? It's not quiet as easy to move minus a tire. Like I said, a pain, but it could be worth it. If you happen to have a floor jack it should take to long to lift it, pull the tire and drop it on a cheap jack. Just a thought.

Dang Nick, what time do you wake up in the mornings? :lol:

I guess I should have got up at the crack of dawn to see those cop-bashing posts before they disappeared. I would have liked to see them. ;)

Oh well. The bashers can feel free to PM me if it makes 'em feel better. I'm used to it....

The pricing for the LoJack system on a trailer seems to be pretty reasonably priced, compared to the price of a trailer and tools, etc and insurance. By the way I am not advocating thatr this is a reason not to get insurance. Hell it just might possibly bring down the insurance on a teailer of this type. Possibly several people on here could team up together and do a group purchase to bring the price down.

I dont have any pictures of the trailer but it is a 20' diamond bed with a 2' dove tail and has a 3'x4' box on the front with aluminum diamond plate doors on the side of the box. There is 3 extra d-rings welded in the bed to tie the race car down by the wheels. The wheels are silver mods with crome center caps Just got the title June 14th this year and only used it three times. Licence plate #48YJJT. I know the police are busy but it would be nice to have a little more than a phone call and betold " the chances of it being found are not good" I'm not bashing the police and i dont thing anyone else should. Just frustrated, beyond words, with the whole thing. Thanks for the Ideas I will put them to use soon as I can get another trailer

racerjim-pm me your phone #-i'll ride thru the pits at the strip 3 nites a week and see if i see anything that may look like it-was it a certain color-sometimes a thief will paint over em ,but if i see something that looks like yours, i can kinda scrape up against it with my scooter and see if its another color underneath

i know your pain man, i had my house rob 2 times, my truck too, got off with 2 guns and a shit load of new tools, then to top it off my shop was robbed and they got almost everything including parts of both race cars, welding machine, torches, tools and boxes, compressor, chopsaw, grinders, you name it it was gone. now luckly the first time i learned to get insurance but coming up for recipts to prove i had this equipment was hard but insurance covered alot. the story has a good ending though. the man who they believe stole my stuff was robbing a shop a mile down the road and the owner was home and heared him. he told him to get out of the shop but the man wouldnt come out so he fired his hand gun at the shop a couple of times and hit the guy in the neck. hes dead and i figure it couldnt have happen to a nicer guy. on of the commandments say thou shall not steal for thou will get it in the end...... :ph34r:

That sounds like someone that had not been introduced to racing before the hoodlums introduced them to crime. This is a big incentive to get to the young ones before they are old enough to be persuaded the wrong way. Want an even bigger challenge? Get to the hoodlums and give them something better to do and be respected for. Who knows, they make some very good racers.

It seems that Aaron Brungot at Thunderhill is doing a good thing with the kids club. He may be saving some of the rest of our things from getting ripped off later on. Plus, he is shaping some potential racers for the future.

All racers should try to get involved with the youth in a positive way. It takes everyone to keep racing going and keeping kids from turning to crime.

JMO,

Mona Turner

#19 SAS WOW/Roadrunner rookie 2005

Got some more info on the trailer thiefs driving a red ford f-150 4x4( year unknown but still fairly new) with texas plates KGC35C ,plates go to a 92 Town Car, the theifs used the safety chains to hook the trailer to thier ( I assume it was theirs) truck and lost it a couple of houses down the street from where I live. One of my neighbors being a good sameritan helped them reattach it to their truck not realizing it was my trailer even said it still had the coupler lock installed on the coupler of the trailer and that is why he took the licence number of the truck down.Described as two hispanic males in their early twentys.wish I had more to go on.

Archived