Stock Car Racing's Future?

Definitive

How many cars do you think will tow here for the Nascar race in October????

I watched the last couple of events for that series and they didn't even have 20 cars start on the West coast???? Last race in Washington or Oregon only started 19 cars!!!

Pretty expensive with the new gas prices??

Does anyone know what the purse payout will be???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kahnefan-in my racing world-it has gone mainstream-hitech as they say,what people are into-rebelracewriter came and spent this past weekend on the starting line with me at the Labor Day Street Nationals-reb has been to more races than the average racer or fan-granted alot of em he has been to have been circle tracks,where it hasnt changed much since i was a kid,this one happened to be straight line.I had a car do his burnout and stop beside us on the line,and I told Reb to watch,a guy is going to open the door and start punching a laptop mounted on the intercooler(which is where the passenger seat used to be) and run a program for this run.Reb was blown away.I also told him the guy doing it dont know s*#& about building a car or motor , but he knows computers and thats all he does for the team is program all there systems for the run,so the turbos puts out the right amount of boost at the right time and the nitrous kicks in at certain points during a run to go along with the turbos.If he doesnt get it right with 2300 hp at the rear wheels,it blows the tires off the car from the get go,but when he gets it right,holy s*@#,the car runs over 190-200+mph in the 1/4 with no problem.And also at this race was the first time they allowed the imports to square off in heads up open racing and i was impressed to see a honda go 10.4sec at 140+ and alot of these young kids i found out have engineering degrees and design alot of there own stuff,and have a laptop mounted right next to them to punch in info before a run from data they have from segments of other runs.It blew me away when i first saw it,but its the norm now,and our sport is growing.Plus we still have a class for the grassroot racers that just mash the gas,but the wave in our sport is hitech.What it has come to is mixing a fearless driver,an engine builder who can make monster cubic inches,mount 2 of the biggest turbos you can find on the motor,add 3 stages of as much nitrous oxide as you can,and find a hitech guru to figure out when the right time to mix it all together would be,and you have one rocket on 4 wheels-by the way,had some young techies out tonite and one had a toyota supra that ran 8.56 at 158mph and a lexus ran 10.01 at 147mph and they are new to the sport.There was 12 people with these cars,found out 10 of em had brains and $$$,the 2 driving the cars had Ba*@s and worked on the em-with this kind of thing going on, it brings a whole new kind of racer and fan into our sport and i'm getting a kick out of it

My .02 FWIW

I think it was best said that we need to find the way to connect to the "new" Nascar fan. This is the guy/gal that doesn't have Nascar's history on their sleeve. This is the person that just started watching within the past 3-5 years. These people come to a short track and expect to see what they see on TV. Well lit cathedrals of speed, crowded tracks and beautiful cars. We all know, we are not going to start 35+ cars anywhere but the show can be prettier. The tough thing is that it all revolves around money and it is a vicious circle. To have better looking cars/more cars, it takes sponsors. For the track to be brighter, prettier, whatever, it takes sponsors. No cars, tougher to garner sponsors. No track sponsors, smaller purses resulting in cars going to other tracks. Track is not able to raise the car standards without plenty of cars to draw.

Bottom line, people want to see what they see on TV and it costs money :( All of the how to's cost money.

The only thing I can confidently suggest is to stabilize the rules so that the end of the year does not bring about a concern to race or not next year since one has to rebuild their car, buy a new engine or major things such as that. There are rules at every track that folks don't like but if you don't have to buy new parts to replace the ones that are still good, I think that is the best way to grow car count. I don't have a good answer for getting fans out because everything I thought would work has been tried at different places and it amazes me that so many people will stay home in the AC on Sat night!

turbotoddie

Todd Farris

TurboToddie-

Dammit, it isn't about spending tons of money. It's about spending the money you have smarter, and doing the basics, which NO track or series is doing right now.

It isn't sponsors we need, it's fans in the stands. Do that, and sponsors will come.

You're right that NASCAR has led people to expect shiny, undamaged cars at the start of a race and nice facilities with pretty lighting, but that just means we have to sell our product: grass roots, short track racing with Street Stocks (Sportsman) cars as the local hook. As SuperTx noted, the racing in NASCAR often sucks, but the fans come to see the STARS, not the cars, and we have no stars because we don't publicize our drivers.

People watch the NFL on Sunday, but they also come out in huge numbers to watch high school football, which, despite the "better" product put out by the NFL, continues to thrive and grow.

... people will stay home in the AC on Sat night!

Are having the races in the summer (100 deg. at 7 pm) a function of some marketing idea (or reality) from the past?

While it wasn't a great concept for selling enough TV network commercials, remember how glad you were when Tucson had the Winter Heat series of late model races on ESPN in the "NASCAR off season"? Could anything be gained by having the local season be in the NASCAR, lake, kids summer sports "off season"?

"What if" the races were on Saturday afternoons winter thru the spring? Sure, sometimes it will be too cold but how is that different than a summer rainout? Would the awol "casual" fan of today come out when there is NO OTHER RACING to be enjoyed on tv? Heck, I have been so engine starved in the winter that we drove a fair distance to see a tractor pull...yee haw!

Just some random thoughts based on a comment Todd made...

Jay

the winter-spring racing season would be a good idea, because you wont have nascar and the heat so much to deal with..........but then you start getting into the high school football, the high school basketball, nfl, nba, plus the holidays...........there is just so many other things now days that the average person (non-nascar fan) doesnt really have a need to go to the local tracks unless it is to watch family or friends...........

Dammit, it isn't about spending tons of money.  It's about spending the money you have smarter, and doing the basics, which NO track or series is doing right now.

You must be right because you've blasted those of us who are doing our level best with little or no money before. I guess we're still a bunch of untrained, untalented, ignorant, incompetent whatevers, just like you have called us in the past (more than once and usually in public).

So, since you have a better plan than the rest of us, why don't you take over one, or more, of these ailing tracks and bring them back to life since you have a better plan than the rest of us.

Nick Holt

Hey Nick, going on tilt is not going to help matters. Isn't this site made for people to voice their concerns, offer possible solutions and generally show they care about our sport. Not everyone who cares is going to show it by voicing their opinions or possible solutions in a readily accepted manner that will not be offensive to someone who is already frustrated with the situation or someone who also feels like they know more than most (of which they will surely will let you know ). If someone trys to help in their own way, take it as that, and maybe some small part of what they give combined with eveyone elses small parts will make a whole solution. Don't kill the enthusiasm, we already have enough appathy in this sport. We know you care for the vast amount of time you expend on this site and with other racing ventures. Please continue to allow others to show how they care even though it might seem abrasive. If we start making so polictically correct it becomes a club not a sport. Be a moderator, not the knowledge police.

I am not perfect at this editing stuff. You know that and I know that. And I did not bash Mr. Jones. I merely invited him to do better than what's being done by those of us he enjoys bashing so much.

So, go ahead and blast away at me all you like. I don't take down negative posts about me unless it contained bad words, etc. Don't believe me? Just go back through the 2.5 years worth of threads.

Nick Holt

with the big nascar west race coming up and the radio spots i've heard,i would at least turn the light on the sign at the track at nite on the hiway so people riding by that have heard the ads or read about it in the paper would go "Look kids, that's where they are going to have that nascar race we heard on the radio,I didnt know it was this close to the house,we'll have to check it out"or a couple riding by will see it and go "isn't that the track they are having that big race at".Not wanting to piss anybody off, but i come by there several nites a week and it's dark,and I know electricity cost $$$,but it helps to be seen also

I can understand Nick's frustration. I, too, feel the same way after reading the negative remarks.

For example, for the monster truck show at San Antonio Speedway this past weekend, here were some of our marketing efforts:

Flyers (some with discount coupon offers), newspaper ads in the surrounding community papers, radio ads,

"monster truck" shows (4), group ticket sales, website updates, and press releases with follow-up phone calls.

The results of all of our efforts (over two weeks of hard work) were much less than desired. We had low fan count and low car count.

A couple of factors worked against us . . . holiday weekend and threatening weather. We anwered tons of phone calls at the track (thanks for helping with the phones, Liz), and we personally let the fans know that our weather was fine at the track and the races were still on.

So, if anyone (especially TQ) has any suggestions to make things work better next time, let us know. We certainly welcome positive input, but knocking our efforts certainly doesn't encourage or help any of us.

Nick,

Please remember your rules of engagement on TXSZ... I think you just broke one of your own! :D:DB)

Aaron,

Yes, I am familiar with the "rules of engagement on TSZ."

If you will recall, I have let posts that you, and others, have written where an invitation was extended to critics and interested parties to walk a mile or two in other folks shoes. Remember the scoring department invitations? Recall the corner worker invitations?

And in spite of several personal (both public and private) requests that he not do so, TQ has repeatedly criticized the efforts of Central and South track and series PR and Media types (which include folks like JM Hallas, Deb Williams, Jon Sagester, Sarge Masom, Pat Mayberry, Bobby Chaffee, Chuck Licata and others) with the clear implication that he can do much better given the opportunity. If he can do better than us incompetents, then I say let him go for it!

Nick Holt

and we have no stars because we don't publicize our drivers.

Oh crap, here he blows again! :angry: I get so tired hearing about how he's the ONLY one doing ANYTHING!

in spite of several personal (both public and private) requests that he not do so, TQ has repeatedly criticized the efforts of Central and South track and series PR and Media types (which include folks like JM Hallas, Deb Williams, Jon Sagester, Sarge Masom, Pat Mayberry, Bobby Chaffee, Chuck Licata and others) with the clear implication that he can do much better given the opportunity. If he can do better than us incompetents, then I say let him go for it!

Go get him Nickster, I got your back!

So, if anyone (especially TQ) has any suggestions to make things work better next time, let us know. We certainly welcome positive input, but knocking our efforts certainly doesn't encourage or help any of us.

You go girl!

Gee, Nick, Reb, you're absolutely right. Every track and every series in the state is wildly successful. We should just keep doing what we're doing. I don't know what I was thinking...

(For the record, though, Nick wasn't bashing me in anything he said on this thread.)

Problem is, you DON'T think! There are plenty of tracks doing very well in other areas, all of them dirt. Maybe you should do some research before you make a statement. Funny thing is, the most well attended ones are doing little to nothing for advertising, PR, etc. They have no "almighty one" writing press releases for them either. GO FIGURE!

I'm sorry we all don't live up YOUR high standards of journalism. But for you to even insinuate that we do nothing is absolutely ludicrous. I spend more time writing more stories, that never hit print, than you do for ones that MIGHT get read. You're pissing off the wrong person at the wrong time!!!! :angry:

If you really want to think about it, The problem is that they have taken late models in the wrong direction. Through the 60's 70's and 80's a late model was the latest sportiest cars. All of these guys wanting to argue about pro 4's, fwd, rwd, everything else, why don't you just realize that the late model class should be these modern factory hot rods. all these v-8 classes should be the hobbies, street stocks, etc. People like to watch racing, but they want something between Indy and NASCAR. Hell Indy has more car variety than stock car racing. Change the rules to encourage something besides a camaro or midsize GM and Make it so you can tell the difference between a ford and a chevy late model and you will bring back some excitement. Oh yeah, and get rid of all these american made only rules and lighten up on a bunch of this tech. Rules should be about equalizing the money you spend, not the competition. If I know how to make a v6 camry outrun your v8 camaro on the same budget, because I know more about suspension, tires weight and general car setup why should I be penalized.

UMMMMM......so are the racers planning on sticking it out through the gas crunch?

I was really just looking for/hoping for/wishing for....a whole bunch of yes'

Let's put some energy into promoting/watching/and participating in the sport we all love and leave the soap box for the birds to land on.

Do not bang heads with the powers that bring us this awesome forum...that we are all addicted to.

Keep up the good work Nick....btw people...when Nick was in charge at SAS for a few years...we had our biggest car counts/most competative racing/most different winners in one season/and most legends coming there to race every weekend...(John Kelly,Greg Davidson,Ervin Brieten,Beaver Stelzig,Rick Rapp,George Hagy,Ken Neal,Buddy Jerkins,Joey Heinamen,Chip Godfridson....I may have mis-yeared some of them but plz bear with me on that.

Be cool. B)

Archived