My post of severa weeks ago.

Budman

Several weeks ago I got on the Texas Racing Forum and made mention of Greg Carlucci, Jr. "walking the walk" if you will remember. I think it got several of you a little upset. There WAS a method to my seeming "madness" however. Think about it. Not more than 10 days later, someone was on here from HMP making inquiries about a Post Season Race for Super Streets (CCMS)/street stocks (THR)/ and SAS (what ever they call their class). Coincidence? I don't think so. That's what I had in mind when I made that post.

Just wanted the tracks to start thinking about it then, instead of late August.

I think the biggest reason the Corpus guys don't go anywhere else is because of the cost of tires alone. I know that's the largest concern with the CCMS guys since Thunder Hill and SAS both use racing tires I think? If the tires are affordable, then I don't think any of our guys (I say our guys since I'm from Corpus, but don't race) will have a problem racing at Thunder Hill and SAS. Plus, both tracks have another legal issue that many of the locals here oppose. SAS requires a NASCAR license that needs to be waived (not to mention it's just plain expensive to race there. If you wreck there, the car's probably done). As for Thunder Hill, they require mufflers, another additional cost for our guys. Of course, that's not THR driver's fault, but they're all considerations that the CCMS guys need to make. It's been an expensive year already for alot of our guys, but if an attainable, mostly universal rule book set up, it would be nice to see the SAS Chargers, CCMS Super Street and the THR Hobby/Street Stocks race with each other. I'm sure Oktoberfast will be the best chance for these guys as every year we've made it, all three tracks were represented.

The CC cars that ran at Oktoberfast last year bought the Hoosier 970 tires for that race. I was in contact with a few of them that were ready to run the big SS race at THR and had purchased mufflers. That race never happened because of weather.

The THR cars that ran at SAS had to change gears but not much else.

The SAS cars that would have run at THR would have had to change gears and add mufflers.

The Oktoberfast race did not require a NASCAR license.

Clearly, the CC guys were probably out the most money, but they came and raced anyway - and did quite well at that.

I hope the end-of-season races happen this year at all of the tracks for the SS cars. I really think they are the best thing going right now for weekly racing in Texas, and these end of season races are a great way to showcase them at all of the tracks.

At Oktoberfast, you had the cream of the crop of the CCMS Super Streets, the ones that didn't have to spend too much money (if there's such a thing) during the course of the year. Those guys took a risk in investing the money to buy the tires/mufflers or any other change they needed to make and obviously, set up for the three tracks are entirely different as well. But the impression I got under the original post was for our guys to run with the THR or SAS guys on an original basis, but for races like Oktoberfast or the Stock Car Spectacular in Kyle, they are big money races and add a little more incentive for the CCMS drivers to go. Look at the guys that ran Oktoberfast, the 34, 84, 91, 45 which are four of the top guys last season and all have the ability to be a track champion if not already or they have the sponsorship or other financial means/support to go up there. The 45 and 91 jumped up to TAMS this season and the 34 and 84 are having pretty successful runs out at CCMS for the most part. This year, I would bet that 34, 84, 88, 15 will be there and maybe the 13 or 35 will go if they have the financial means. Our guys are racers and I'm sure they'd love to race with the guys from THR or SAS. And for the most part the THR and SAS guys were welcomed down here last season when we held the big race in October or whenever it was. Either way, I would love to see all three tracks' best Street drivers meet somewhere and duke it out. I agree with you about this class being the best one out there, even when our car count is down, the ten or so guys that does show run a pretty good race. I know at the old Longhorn, the best class was always the class that had all of the Nova's in it and they ran with what became our Super Street class when they came down here and were really successful. I think our guys did well in SAS last season (3, 6, 8, and 9 if I remember right) so I know our guys can race with anyone, it's just a gamble for them to invest that money and run the risk of something breaking or going wrong, but if they do well, the payoff is a good profit. As for the tires, I'm not trying to say our guys won't buy them, but they may hesitate if the payoff wasn't worth it, i.e. buy racing tires to run for a regular purse. I don't think our guys would do that for the most part. Oh well, I know I'm planning on making it to Oktoberfast and to the Stock Car Spectacular and hope Owen will have that race here again at the end of the season.

Archived