Local racer gets big attention!

fatboyracing7

Local racer James Cole of San Antonio Texas has made many accomplishments in his racing career, but the latest news is by far the most exciting.

Roush Racing has a contest every year called the “Gong Show” and accepts more than 5000 applicants to review and so far has narrowed it down to the top 100 racers they feel are qualified for the final cut. James got that phone call last Friday from a Roush representative, informing him that he made the top 100 cut.

James had a long phone conversation and extensive interview with the representative and says he was really excited to make it the top 100 cut out of more than 5000 applicants, and hopes to make the next cut of the top 25.

Danny Webb of Mission Auto Parts, which is Cole’s car owner and primary sponsor, also had a lengthy talk with the Roush representative later that afternoon, and says James has definitely got what it takes.

The top 25 will go to Roush Racing for testing and a reality TV show will broadcast the trials and tribulations of all the racers trying to make it to the top and get the chance to run a NASCAR Craftsman Truck the following season on the NASCAR Craftsman Truck circuit.

James raced on dirt at TDS from 1996 to 1999 and moved up to a modified at SAS in 2000 and won the NASCAR Modified Championship in 2001. Then proceeded on to the TAMS touring series in 2002 to 2003 setting a blistering pace. Then in 2004 ran a full season at SAS in the NASCAR Sunbelt Late Model division finishing up his rookie season a mere 2 points behind 2004 Champion Larry Bendele at SAS.

It is really great to see someone from our local racing community make the cut for a chance of a lifetime and we all wish him luck. Either way it’s an awesome feat to be looked at from an organization like Roush Racing and make it to the short list!

Hope to see you on TV soon and watching the Truck races from a COLE CAM!!!!!!!!! B)

For more info on James go to http://jamescoleracing.com/

The site is under construction being updated this week but has some great info and pictures of his racing career.

I missed the races at SAS this weekend but heard Terry D made the announcement during the show.

James has been a long time friend, competitor and team mate for my rookie season, he really showed me the ropes of short track racing and what its all about, for that i say thank you to James and the entire crew at Cole Racing.

They are a dedicated group of guys that work really hard to show up every week with the best car they can and always seem to do well no matter what they race. they have helped me out alot in my racing.

CONGRATS to James and crew, you guys earned it.

congras Craig and James on your chance to go to the show. I must say I've never raced against James but have raced against Craig and he is a very clean and good driver. I wish the both the best of luck at this deal.

Josh Freeman

James,

Good luck we will be rooting for you. I'd love to see you make the cut but at the same time I'm also looking forward to seeing you drive for Danny knowing the work he and the Hamiltons do. Their horsepower and your talent are an awesome combination. Best of luck with whatever comes your way.

Tavo Hellmund is one of the top 100 as well. He got a call from Roush on Friday, but he's been out of town and didn't check back with them until Tuesday... he's been out of town until today, so I hadn't talked to him.

The Roush site still has the June 30 message up that the 25 will be chosen "this week," but nothing new except the announcement that Office Depot will be the title sponsor on Carl Edwards' #99.

The Jayski site says four names are supposed to be part of the final 25: Justin Allgaier, Chuck Barnes Jr., Johnny Clark and Travis Kittleson.

Well at this time I haven't received a letter or a phone call from the Roush organization, but I have heard that they started to call the 25 people that made it. I'm not sure if that means I will receive a letter soon or not, but either way it was very awesome and motivating to have made it to the short list of a top notch cup team. It makes local drivers such as myself realize that even though it's very tough and challenging to make in the top ranks of NASCAR, it is possible and may be closer than we think. I know before this I felt I was one in a million to be picked up by a team such as Roush Racing, and to make it to the top 100 proved me wrong and makes me want to try that much harder.

Now that I have finished college I’m going to try and race anything I can to put as many starts and top 5’s on my resume as well as continue to send information off to other cup teams.

I also just wanted to thank everyone that has been behind me over all these years and the huge amount of support that I have gotten from everyone here in Texas. It makes all the challenges in racing that much easier to get through when you have good people supporting your racing career. There’s no way that I would have had the success in racing that I’ve had if it wasn’t for my entire crew, sponsors, family, friends, and especially our fans.

So Thank You All!!!!!!

James Cole

Archived