5th Annual DTK Memorial/Round #2 South Texas Championship @ I-37 Speedway 10-27-23

5th Annual DTK Memorial/Round #2 South Texas Championship @ I-37 Speedway 10/26-28/23

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Oct. 27Th, 2023) Let the fun begin.

After an open practice Thursday night was rained out it was time for the competition to start on the ¼ mile semi-banked, dirt oval just outside Pleasanton. Friday would be the first day of the 5th Annual DTK Memorial, plus the second round of the 4-track, South Texas Championship for Limited Modifieds and Factory Stocks.

The DTK Memorial honors the fathers of track promoters Michael Keylich and Ray Doyon along with a past promoter, and father of two current racing brothers, Frank Torres. The year end special features nightly pay outs with additional money from generous sponsors and donors.

South Texas Championship;

Four south central Texas tracks(Cotton Bowl Speedway, Texana Raceway Park, South Texas Race Ranch and I-37) got together to give the Factory Stocks and Limited Modifieds to run under similar rules to determine an overall champion. The four track alternated their big show schedules to make this happen. The winner of the series would take home some bonus money as well as the others in the top five.

STC top fives after Cotton Bowl Speedway. Limited Modifieds; Brandon Guerin, Nathan Titzman, Cody Beddoe, Gilbert Perez III and Heath Stewart. Factory Stocks; Dalton Faulkner, Craig Pursley, Jared Maupin, Donald Cain, Eddie Grmala.

Friday nights slate of races included the Late Models, Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks, Fireballs and Sport Compacts. The Late Models would run a regular race format with time trials, heats and a feature. Limited Mods, Factory Stocks and Fireballs would do double heats with the top eight in passing points transferring to Saturday. Sport Compacts would be a normal show.

Doyon Dominance Continues

The start of the 20-lap Late Model main saw Marcus Mikulencak get a good run from outside pole into turn 1, but Matt Fox would loop it in turn 2 for a complete restart. Ryan Doyon got a better launch on the next try getting to turn 1 first, but Mikulencak crossed low off turn 2 to get the lead. Ry. Doyon, Broc Bowen, Jared Maupin followed with Ray Doyon and Robby Minten side by side for fifth.

Bowen was also able to get by Ry. Doyon for second while Minten slipped too high giving the spot to Ra. Doyon. Michael Keylich brought out a lap 6 yellow when he spun in front of the lead trio. This caution would change the whole complexion of the race.

On the restart Bowen tried throw a slide job on Mikulencak for the lead in turn 1. Push came to shove and both ended up tangled in turn 2 with Ryan McDonald and Keylich spinning to avoid the duo. Mikulencak was charged with the caution, and pulled off. Bowen would hover around the back and pit before green waved.

This put, track champion, Ry. Doyon out front for the restart ahead of Maupin, Ra. Doyon and Chase Neill getting fourth from Minten. Coming to halfway it was Ry. Doyon maintaining his advantage over Maupin, Ra. Doyon, Neill and Minten. Jamie Campbell would have a right rear flat a lap later and spin off turn 2 for a yellow.

As the top three got away on green, Ra. Doyon slipped with Neill and Minten getting by. Minten would return the favor a lap later giving Ra. Doyon a spot back. With ten to go, Maupin began to inch closer to Ry. Doyon for the lead while Minten ad Ra. Doyon continued battling until Minten slapped the wall allowing Ra. Doyon and Neill to retake spots.

With five to go, Chandler Fox went around in turn 2 setting up a 5-lap single file restart. Maupin gave Ry. Doyon his best look in turn 1, but was unable to get by. Neill got a good run getting by Ra. Doyon for third. After holding off Maupin, Ry. Doyon would ease away for the victory in his 3-D Landscaping, Alamo Truck & Accessories, Ewing Irrigation & Landscape Supply, Gunn Fleet Management Chevrolet, 4D Ranch, 89 Motorsports, Eagle crate powered, MB Custom Chassis.

12582633__SRP6379(1024x678)(2).jpg.26d07888a76f7a3a82f0e97b1f4bd4f4.jpg

I got a little lucky tonight,” exclaimed Doyon. “I had a good qualifying run so that set me up to start up front. I had a bad initial start and fell back. I was just in the right place at the right time when the accident happened. I probably had the best seat in the house for that deal. I saw Broc(Bowen) go for the slider, trying to be aggressive for the lead, but it just didn't work out.”

Once they got around me and we singled out I felt like I was running them down a little bit. I wasn't too sure how I was going to get around them. I felt like I was as fast as them, if not a little faster.”

I've never raced against a couple guys in the Late Models. You never know how fast they are or their driving style. Jared Maupin is always fast in everything he drives and I've never run with Chase Neill. I kept looking for someone to show their nose. I saw Jared on that one restart and figured I just needed to drive a little harder.”

Hopefully we can start tomorrow the way we started tonight and have another good run in qualifying. We can start up front in the heat race and go from there. I'm not planning on any big changes for the track conditions. We'll take at look at the tires, watch the track and moisture and go from there.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

5r Ryan Doyon, 91 Jared Maupin, 416 Chase Neill, 9 Ray Doyon III, 5 Ryan McDonald, 24r Robby Minten, 53x Matt Fox, 29 Jamie Campbell, 57 Jason Kelly, 53xx Chandler Fox, 23 Michael Keylich, 56 Broc Bowen, 87 Marcus Mikulencak

Late Model heats;

Heat 1; 5r Ryan Doyon, 91 Jared Maupin, 9 Ray Doyon III, 416 Chase Neill, 29 Jamie Campbell, 53x Matt Fox, 23 Michael Keylich

Heat 2; 87 Marcus Mikulencak, 56 Broc Bowen, 24r Robby Minten, 53xx Chandler Fox, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 Ryan McDonald

Late Model Qualifying

5r Ryan Doyon 15.353, 87Marcus Mikulencak 15.416, 91 Jared Maupin 15.585, 56 Broc Bowen 15.603, 9 Ray Doyon III 15.642, 24r Robby Minten 15.784, 416 Chase Neill 15.801, 29 Jamie Campbell 16.044, 57 Jason Kelly 16.122, 53x Matt Fox 16.257, 5 Ryan McDonald 16.430, 23 Michael Keylich 17.290, 53xx Chandler Fox(dq tech-chip)

Swenson Race Products Limited Modified heats;(top 8 in passing points to A-main);

Heat 1; 11 Johnny Torres, 1t Nathan Titzman, 14 Trent Beaver, 88 Steve Whiteaker III, bd1 Gilbert Perez III, 13 Benjamin Mikulencak, 48 Chris Swenson

Heat 2; 101 Tanner Whitmire, 96 Jared Maupin, 57 Charles Flanagan, h14 Heath Stewart, bd2 Daniel Preston, 26 JJ Jennings, 12r Roly Rodriguez

Heat 3; 14 Trent Beaver, 101 Tanner Whitmire, 26 JJ Jennings, bd1 Gilbert Perez III, 12r Roly Rodriguez, bd2 Daniel Preston, 48 Chris Swenson

Heat 4; 96 Jared Maupin, 1t Nathan Titzman, h14 Heath Stewart, 13 Benjamin Mikulencak, 11x Johnny Torres, 88 Steve Whiteaker III, 57 Charles Flanagan

All in Design Factory Stock heats;(top 8 in passing points to A-main);

Heat 1; 91 Jared Maupin, 44k Michael Keylich, 25r Nathan Rachui, 55 Rusty Head, 44 Damon Bean, 92r Robert Keylich, 7 Braden Priess

Heat 2; 741 Cameron Starry, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 139 Dennis Folkerts, 18s Jarrett Payton, 34h Hunter Peterson, 7b Johnny Walker Brown

Heat 3; 94 Allen Torres, 66 Johnny Torres, 38 Joshua Sewell, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 28m Mason Casteneda, 10 Scott Jerkins

Heat 4; 741 Cameron Starry, 28m Mason Casteneda, 7b Johnny Walker Brown, 7 Braden Priess, 10 Scott Jerkins, 92r Robert Keylich

Heat 5; 66 Johnny Torres, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 91 Jared Maupin, 25r Nathan Rachui, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 34 Hunter Peterson, 37w AJ Wernette---dns

Heat 6; 94 Allen Torres, 38 Joshua Sewell, 55 Rusty Head, 44k Michael Keylich, 139 Dennis Folkerts, 18s Jarrett Payton, 44 Damon Bean

Fireball heats;(top 8 in passing points to A-main);

Heat 1; 8 Bobby Jack, 13 Howie Marcx, 93 Aaron Leddy, 1 Hudson Mikulencak, 2k Kiehl Van Blarcum

Heat 2; 58 Matthew Hodges, 37w AJ Wernette, 81 DJ Schroat, 28 Russ Parker, 42 Cody Clegg, 9 Levi Hernandez, 08 Evident Ivy

Heat 3; 81 DJ Schroat, 93 Aaron Leddy, 28 Russ Parker, 2k Kiehl VanBlancum, 9 Levi Hernandez, 37w AJ Wernette(dq—didnt go to tech)

Heat 4; 58 Matthew Hodge, 13 Howie Marcx, 8 Bobby Jack, 1 Hudson Mikulencak, 42 Cody Clegg, 08 Evident Ivy

Hernandez Ends on a Hot Streak

The 20-lap Sport Compact feature started with Sonny Kinnaman getting the lead ahead of Ryker Hernandez, Rod Tait, Josh Jones and Brandon McCall. Sam Walker and Donald Lewis made contact sending Lewis around in turn 4 for a quick yellow. On the restart Hernandez got along side Kinnaman and got the lead on lap 2.

In the pack, McCall worked his way around Jones for fourth with Justin Van Winkle following to fifth. Tait then made his way past Kinnaman for second bringing McCall along to third. By halfway Hernandez had built a healthy lead over Tait, McCall, Van Winkle and Kinnaman.

With two to go Hernandez had a full straightaway margin but Walker and John Thomas got together for a late yellow erasing his lead. Back under green, Hernandez got away with Van Winkle side by side with Tait for second. Hernandez in his Irace Enterprises, Reflective Wrecker, TLC Graphics, Allways Dodge Chrysler Jeep, Unifirst, 2005 Chevy Cavalier went on to take the win.

1884372864__SRP6451(1024x678)(2).jpg.0df212684e96a72045c98406558713dc.jpg

I want to thank all the sponsors that added money to our class tonight,” said Hernandez. “I know those guys that started up front are going to be fast. I was just going as fast as I could and looking for an opening to get the lead. I really had to watch out for where they were.”

I hated that caution. I was afraid that they would gang up on me on the restart. It can be hard to hear the line up on the racecievers sometimes to know who is behind you. I just try to stay focused and go for it. I was a little concerned, but I knew I had it.”

No takers on buying this car yet. I'm looking for someone. If we finally sell this I may get a new Limited Modified chassis, or build a Fireball car.”

Iron Horse RV Sport Compacts

55 Ryker Hernandez, 825 Justin Van Winkle, 70 Rod Tait, 51 Brandon McCall, 11j Josh Jones, 8 James Gottsch, k8 Ray Trevino, 76y Donald Lewis, 9t John Thomas, 8j Michelle Conlee, 3% Sam Walker, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 38 Sonny Kinnaman(dq didnt go to tech)

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 38 Sonny Kinnaman, 11j Josh Jones, 825 Justin Van Winkle, 3% Sam Walker, k8 Ray Trevino, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 8j Michelle Conlee

Heat 2; 55 Ryker Hernandez, 70 Rod Tait, 51 Brandon McCall, 76y Donald Lewis, 9t John Thomas, 8 James Gottsch