Kris Workman, A Man with a Plan

Kris Workman, A Man with a Plan

By JM Hallas

San Antonio, TX.,(July 12th, 2023)

Every now and then you meet people that have an influence in so many lives, that are inspirational and positive despite their circumstance. This is a story about one I know.

San Antonio's Kris Workman had just starting racing a few years back until fate stepped in. Workman was one of several people wounded in the Sutherland Springs church shooting in 2017. His injuries left him paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheel chair. Not letting it define him, his love for racing brought him to I-37 Speedway that was looking for an announcer at the time. Workman, a vocalist in his church band, took up the challenge head on while still keeping his hopes of racing again alive.

198253292__SRP5724(800x530)(2).jpg.ca1590c956baccc981a270d61c211e86.jpg

Workman became friends with Chris Morris, another racer that suffered spinal injuries that would keep a normal person out of racing. Motivated by Morris' success, Workman hoped to be back in a racecar again. Through the efforts, donations, help of his church, friends and businesses Workman now has his dream in sight as he was presented with a race ready Limited Modified during intermission last weekend, the only thing left is installing the hand controls.

Now, to original reason for the story, his plan. A plan on how to get more younger kids interested in racing versus their electronic devises.

I came up with the idea as a way to give some kids the opportunity to make fun memories at the track,” said Workman. “Especially those who aren't financially capable of buying Go Karts. It's just for fun, we won't be keeping points or anything like that.”

Power Wheels races have been around for a while, especially at Go Kart tracks around south Texas. Seeing the joy of racing and competition on the kids faces in super rewarding. I had a few Power Wheels cars growing up, but I never had anyone to compete against in one. I see so many kids at the racetrack each week who clearly enjoy racing, but for whatever reason, are not able to buy a kart and participate directly in racing. This opportunity allows kids that show up to the track a chance to compete and experience the joys and challenges of racing.”

The eventual goal is to get them to try to find ways to get involved in racing, even if it's further into the future. Those fun memories will hopefully serve as a catalyst to ensure the future of our sport isn't squandered.”

I brought the idea to promoters Ray(Doyon) and Mike(Keylich),” added Workman. “First just asking permission to see if we could allow kids and parents down onto the racing surface to race their own Power Wheels cars on race nights when the Go Karts weren't running.”

The next thought was about how to make the racing fair for all participants. Immediately I thought of a way to allow some of our amazing racers and sponsors to participate helping offset a bit of the cost of purchasing our own set of cars. I found a great deal on some really neat 4x4 battery powered cars with real rubber wheels and strong 24v motors. A few months back I started sourcing sponsors for $175 (1/2 car) or $350 (full car).”

The sponsorships went really quick! I then partnered with All in Designs to work up some professional looking decals to represent the car sponsors and the track. As usual, they made some amazing looking decals, and were even able to make the cars appear very close to their larger counterparts, for the sponsors who also have full racecars. This fun little plan has gotten quite a bit of attention. We may have to buy more cars to keep up with demand! Where else can you show up to a racetrack as a 3-10 year old kid and actually get to participate in racing without having to lug around your own car or equipment? I37 is the only place I'm aware of!”

His idea was a huge success with so many kids interested that the group had to be split in two, with each race only going halfway around the Go-Kart track. Many drivers pitched in to help with flagging, staging and giving a little push to those not certain on how to drive a vehicle yet. A good time was had by all with competitors taking home mini checkered flags.