Cody Ware arrested on felony 'assault by strangulation' charge, suspended indefinitely by NASCAR

NickHolt

Cody Ware arrested on felony 'assault by strangulation' charge, suspended indefinitely by NASCAR

by Andrew Chapados, Blaze News

April 11, 2023 - NASCAR Cup Series driver Cody Ware was arrested and charged with felony assault by strangulation inflicting serious injury, resulting in his indefinite suspension by NASCAR, according to Fox News.

Ware was arrested in his home state of North Carolina around 10:30 a.m. on April 10, 2023, and charged with misdemeanor assault on a female in addition to the felony charge. Ware was later released on a $3,000 bond.

The arrest reportedly stems from an alleged domestic violence incident that took place in Mooresville, N.C., just before midnight on April 3, 2023.

It was originally reported that the driver would miss his most recent race to “focus on a personal matter,” according to a statement by his team, Rick Ware Racing. The racing team, which is owned by the 27-year-old's father, released a statement on Twitter regarding the matter.

"We are aware of the incident regarding Cody Ware and his indefinite suspension from NASCAR competition. We understand NASCAR’s position on this matter and accept their decision," the racing team said.

"The matter is still under investigation and Cody is fully cooperating with the authorities, as due process takes its course. [Rick Ware Racing] is committed to continuing our multi-car efforts in the NASCAR Cup Series and is in the process of finalizing our plans for the No. 51 entry at Martinsville Speedway, and beyond," they added.

According to ESPN, there were no weapons involved in the incident, and details of the assault have not been made available because it was a domestic violence situation.

Ware is currently ranked 31st in the Cup Series standings. He has raced in the series since 2017. His best finish is sixth place over 97 career races.

Correct me if I'm wrong Nick, but isn't this the second or third time Cody has been suspended (drugs?)? This one may really end his Cup involvement, if these accusations are true. Kurt Busch was able to get reinstated because in his case, the woman had already been caught in a web of lies & fraud, from the Wounded Warrior Foundation. I can't remember if she went to prison, but think she did. I have absolutely no sympathy for a guy hurting a woman, in any circumstance other than self defense. And only then if she is using lethal weapons. Walk Away.. I hope that the charges aren't true. If he does get reinstated, it will be really difficult to sell a sponsor on sponsoring Cody. RWR better find some rich kid to drive that 15 car for a while. Plus, when NASCAR suspends you, you can't race in any race, or at any track that is sanctioned by NASCAR, until that suspension it lifted.