Internal engine cleaners Pt. 2

mfmotorsports

I was reading an archived post about internal engine cleaners. I am talking about the stuff that removes carbon from intake valves and piston tops. Being a factory GM mechanic, I have seen it all when it comes to snake oils. In the previous post, BG engine cleaner was mentioned. Although it is good stuff, one product was overlooked. It is known as GM Top engine cleaner or TEC. Diluted with gasoline, I have used it to clear up partially clogged gasoline injectors.  I have also used it to clean diesel fuel injectors when diluted with diesel fuel. I have seen injector balance rates improve on a live scan tool data stream immediately after using it. In my opinion, it is the best stuff out there. The only downside is that you have to get it from your local GM dealer or parts wholesaler. For info on diesel injector cleaning, look up service bulletin #PIP4727A or doc#2373697. For info on cleaning gasoline injectors and carbon removal, there is a tool that OTC makes that pressurizes the cleaner so that you can run it through the fuel rail. You can also run it through a vacuum hose bung after the throttle body out of the container. There are plenty of online videos. Look up engine decarbon online. Being that most of us probably do a teardown in the offseason, I am assuming you are asking about your hauler. I can't stress enough about overlooking the hauler that gets us to the track.

P.S. TEC may not be available in California. It is reformulated for California and known as GM upper cylinder cleaner. Works just fine.

[also removes carbon from valves and pistons. It is the best stuff out there,

i am going to try that before i change the injector on a 98  tahoe .. i never change just one injector i change the whole spider ... tahoe has been sitting up sense 2019 with ever being started .i took me three days of running it for hours with marvel to get all 8 cylinders on the same page .motor runs so smooth u dont even notice it standing run next to it ..have had 4 poeple finding it  was running all the time we stood right next to it ..but .it seems i have one injector leaking into a cylinder after driving it .i have to  build the fuel pressure back up ..for it to start then i drove it hard and found its lean .. so ill pressure test the system monday .. i have a feeling it is number 8 .. ...if i can get that stuff to clean it better i may just go ahead and change the pump ..this is a truck my brother  went in with me to repair for another brother who  needs something that runs better than what he has ,he is crippled enough  where he cant afford anything much and   can not work .. so as i get some money i change something  i can upgrade so thanks for the tip and even old dogs learn new tricks ..  .. 

You probably checked this already, but if it's loading up and fuel pressure leaks down after driving it you may want to make sure the regulator isn't bleeding down and flooding cylinder #8. Also, if you mean it takes a few cranks to get the fuel pressure to reach a steady 60psi or so, you may have a fuel pump bleeding down. Hope I understood you right.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2022 at 10:37 PM, mfmotorsports said:

You probably checked this already, but if it's loading up and fuel pressure leaks down after driving it you may want to make sure the regulator isn't bleeding down and flooding cylinder #8. Also, if you mean it takes a few cranks to get the fuel pressure to reach a steady 60psi or so, you may have a fuel pump bleeding down. Hope I understood you right.

yep u heard me right ..number 8 injector is stuck open  . i am going to change both all the injectors and fuel pump ..its been sitting almost four years  .. and both   have never been changed .. i can get the parts cheap enough .. this is for a brother whos other truck is worn  out he has no money and can not work .. another brother and i bought this tahoe for him  back in march or so  he does not know about this ..  it had some miner front end damage i already fixed .a electrical  short typical of these trucks . a couple of rust holes from spending most of its life near the beach fixed  .i  repaired and replaced parts on another 99 that someone uses for hunting ..  he iwll have some spare parts that were still good off the other truck .. the owner hunts in mexico so we upgraded alot of stuff  ..so i have many spare parts  and shocks that will fit this tahoe ..lucky me .. .. its almost done  to turn it over to my brother  .i spent two months on the veterans car that took time away from this project .. i seem to be  doing alot of projects that make no money but cost some  as of late but worth  every minute and it helps  those who need it ..  after the truck is finished no more projects  like this for awhile ..i have hundreds of stuff to finish around the house  i  started 5 months ago  ... once u retire  u go to work . ill need to get a job just to get a vacation .. covid created this back log  at home ..

• 2 weeks later...