One for the Old-Timers

Budman

Neal and all do you remember that they had a TV deal at playland park. When i couldn't go i would try to stay awake to watch. Does anybody know who was the owner or the promoter?

In about '57, there were some races telecast live on TV from Playland Park Spdwy/Houston. My only memory is seeing Jimmy McKinney crash and turn over in a Stock Car, and watching the Modified feature that was won by Don Burton. I was about age 10 at the time, and was just getting to know Don, so that was quite thrilling to see on TV. As far as I know, the promoter was Ed Hamblen, and the speedway and amusement park was most likely owned by the Slusky brothers.

RETrott: To contribute your post about live television coverage of races at Playland Park, I recall that the races were televised in prime time by KTRK-TV, Channel 13 in Houston during the summer of 1957.

I wasn't involved in the telecast because although I worked at KTRK-TV from 1954 to 1958 I was absent for a two year active duty Army break.

Neil Upchurch

I think the Playland races were televised on Thursday nights and they had a tie in with wrestling at the Sam Houston Coliseum in downtown Houston. The wrestling show was on Friday nights. Both shows would have promos about the other one.

My favorite Jud Larson story came from Jack Zink. He used to go over the wall on his own cars at Indy. Well, in 1958, Jud was running in the top ten, and he comes in for a pit stop. According to Jack, the pit stop went perfectly, the tank filled without a burp, the tires went on smoothly, and he starts slapping the car and yelling for Jud to go. Nothing. Zink yells again. Nothing. Finally he leans into the cockpit and asks "what's wrong?" Jud looked up at him and said "I ain't ready yet!" ;)

• 2 years later...
Neal and all do you remember that they had a TV deal at playland park. When i couldn't go i would try to stay awake to watch. Does anybody know who was the owner or the promoter?

Sam Slusky was the coowner of the track. Ed Hamblin was the promoter.

Archived