kyle latemodels

griffin99

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:D Tim keep in mind that TPS now weighs with the driver at 1.1lbs. per cc,you brothers car weighs around 2440+ or- a couple now,so a TSRS car with a 350 would have to weigh 6,220 to run with TPS,big difference for what our little cars turn. Not picking on your brother,he has a good car,setup and is a good driver hope to be out there with him soon,wish we could be as light as the msra cars and we would be a lot faster than most cars here.

I know what you mean. I would be curious to see what Randy could turn in Dad's car at THR once it is finished. I don't want to JINX anything, but my predicition would simply be "Very Fast"... and I will just leave it at that. B) Would it be crazy for the track record to be from a 4 cylinder? Is that possible? :o

The MSRA Pro 4's put on a good show that's for sure.

When are you planning on coming out to race with the TPS?

Tim

The TPS 1.1 pounds per CC weight rule works rather well.

We have engine sizes ranging from 1471 CCs (Dave Parks' VW Rabbit) to 2338 CCs (most of the Mustangs and Pintos). A stock frame gets a 5% wieght break and the air-cooled engine VWs get a 15% weight break. Right now the BMW (2085 CCs), a couple of Mustangs (2338 CCs), a Karmann Ghia (2052 CCs), a few VW Sciroccos (1648 CCs or 1984 CCs) and a Chevette (2000 CCs) are all capable of winning on any given night.

Building on what 97car said about CC to weight ratios, let's use Randy Lee's stock-framed Mustang as an example to compare a typical TPS car and a V-8 with a stock frame running under TPS weight rules. Randy's TPS car has to weigh 2443 pounds with him in the car under the rules. But if we were to drop a 350 V-8 (5735 CCs) into that car, it would have to weigh 5994 pounds (5,735 CCs x 1.1 = 6309, less a 315 pound weight break for being a stock frame = 5994 pounds). But we all know that the typical V-8 stock car weights in the 3,000 range, so the V-8 actually have a better CC to weight ratio than the TPS cars.

There are three good reasons why we don't let the TPS cars get lighter. 1) Safety 2) The stock frame cars have a hard time getting down to the minimum weight requirements already. If I changed the rules to lower weights the tube frame cars would have too much of an advantage. 3) The rules work OK the way they are.

Nick Holt

3) The rules work OK the way they are.

Nick Holt

No complaints from us at LMS! :D

I appreciate and watch all types of racing, and appreciate what people do for fun with their own time and money. Don't get me wrong, the Trucks, LM's and ROMCO cars are awesome and will always be the ones to "watch", but a lot of people underestimate the power the TPS cars put out. One mans treasure is another mans junk. As long as people enjoy what they are doing and are having fun, even in a RICE BURNER, hey, good for them!

Tim

Hey man. Im not saying anything bad about the TPS, Actually i like that series. to me they are quite interesting, and whether or not you own a pure stock or a late model or even a pro sedan, as long as your having fun, thats what its about..right?

-Jonathan Cleaver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

15.4 hummmm Is that really a true time, I think not. Was this done by a timing system? (no) If you can run 15.4 then you maybe think about running that car in Romco. Being that most of them are not that fast. If I recall correctly, your time was a 15.84 not 15.48 Nice job anyway. You do have a fast car.

Archived