UNFAIRNESS

A driver was suspended for one race because a wow driver deliberately cut another wow driver off and caused front end damage and the radiator busted. As the driver was working on his car he was very upset BECAUSE IT WAS DONE DILIBERATELY. When the wow driver went to look at the damage of the car the driver was very upset and said things that probaly should not have been said ,yes it was wrong for the driver to really speak his mind, but she has to understand the situation. The driver was upset and she had no right going to his pit pad at that moment, she should have just left it alone until the end of the night to let things cool off. This is not the first time she has caused damage to other cars.

Is it a first offense? No probation? What's the history? Is there an appeals process?Hard to know if it is unfair or not without the whole story/both sides of the story. For a penalty that severe, the officials must have had what they felt were good reasons.

Yes it was the first offense. He was called and told that there was several calls regarding the situation, but all the calls came from the drivers family. When the situation happened no one was around the car but the two drivers. When we talked to Terry Burton and gave our side of the story, of course that is not what he was toldby the other driver and her family, but he said that we would be an example that you cannot act like that. What really hurts is that he was second in points and now he will drop to fourth.

take your car somewhere else if you feel that strongly about it....if you were good enough to let you car also run in wow(where they're hurting for a car count to begin with )and that's where it got damage and that is honestly what the man told you....make an example out of their professional attitude towards handling their end of the situation.

I think you might want to get you facts straight , from what i understand the wow driver was going over to offer her car to the roadrunner driver to race and he blew up at her and said thing he shouldnt have , but that wasnt why he was suspended from what i here. Anytime you publicly threaten to take someone out you should be suspended , racing can be a very heated and emotional sport and sometimes its hard to keep that in check. i doubt very seriously that the wow incident was was done diliberately.

My facts are straight. She was not offering her car to the driver and again you are only hearing one side of the story. You can ask several people that were in the stands that night everyone was saying how she ran right into her on the back straight away trying to stop her from getting in front of her. We are going to stay racing at sas. We will just have to work our buts off to get back up in the points. We do not have any hard feelings towards the driver I just wish things could have been handled different.

http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com/Rulesand...006Rulebook.pdf

Based off of what you yourself said, the third sentence of the conduct policy seems to be what was violated and fourth sentence has the penalty that was applied.

I understand what you are saying, and suspending people is a very extreme penalty, especially for a first offense. Even the track is punishing themselves in car count. If it was really a first offense, they skipped over phase one (probation) and phase two (fine) and went straight to three. So hopefully there must be more to the story. History or something. I would like to believe there is some kind of due process and punishments fit the crimes and that it follows a traditional discipline escaltion. Driver discipline should not be a knee jerk response. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Was this related to the other post about inappropriate behavior in the stands? Was it really just an incident of harsh words between two people in the alleged offenders pit? How come no one else is saying anything? Probably the best course of action would be for this driver to appologize to the other driver and the officials and beg for mercy. No matter how it happened, at least the driver came over to talk about it.

However, there is also a general attitude going around that drivers shouldn't be allowed to get upset and wanting to make an example of people who do. Professionalism, act like the big guys. Yea, like Busch, Stewart, Earnhardt (both), Harvick, Nemacheck, Spencer, Yarborough and Allison, Wallace and DW at the Winston, Robby Gordon, Paul Tracy, AJ Foyt, Mikey and Green, Shane Hmiel, etc., etc. Heck, even Mark Martin has some very choice words for people sometimes, on TV. Only three of them ever got suspended. One for drugs, Harvick for taking out Joe Gibb's boy on purpose when he was already on probation, and Spencer for punching Busch. Richard Petty even luched a mirror driving civilian on a public highway about 10 years ago. Those drivers are the ones that make it interesting. People that are investing this much time, money, and effort and competing in this environment are going to get upset sometimes.

Thanks racerx,

I know he should not have said some things that was said, but when you are next to race and your car comes in with a busted radiator and you are trying to get if fixed before your heat race and she has the nerve to come over and want to see what the damage was knowing that the driver would be very upset what did she expect from him she just tore his car up. He will take his punishment and return on 6-11-05. I hope this incident teaches everyone how to keep there cool it is not worth fighting all this time to stay up in the points and then just loosing it in one night because of one incident.

When there is a wreck the last thing a driver should do is go into the other drivers pits. Wait a little while to let things calm down and then maybe harsh things won't be said. Going over to talk after you just tore up someones car is only going to lead to more hostility. The driver going to the other pit should be penalized not someone who was in their own pits.JMO

Well Christy, As a wife, I can completely understand your frustration and point of view on your husband's (Randy)situation. However, lets be honest about this whole thing. It is a well known fact that Randy does have a long history that expands beyond this race season of running his mouth and saying lots of things he shouldn't. What he may not realize is that he comes off very aggressive when he makes his remarks and in many instances threats. Randy is also known as being overly aggressive on the track with very little to no regard for his or anyone else's safety on the track in the name of securing or obtaining a top finish. It is one thing to proctect your postion but, it's another thing when you don't care if you hurt anyone and deliberately cause a wreck. In fact, I have heard others refer to Randy as a hostile driver. Now, we all know there will be wrecks on the track. Some are intentional and some because that are just a part of racing. THAT'S RACING.

As for hurting Randy's point standings. If he was really all that concerned about maintaining his points--then he shouldn't allow others to drive his car. As far as the other driver is concerned I don't know where you come off stating as a fact what happend in the pit area because you were not there. You were in the stands the entire race. What I know for a fact is that the other driver approached others that were involved in the wreck to help them with whatever they could to get there cars repaired and back to racing. However, the other drivers were not bitter because they understand the risk involved in this sport and although they were disappointed did not react the way Randy did which was very inexcusable. So, the truth of the matter is that Randy Does have a long history of mouthing off, acting and driving aggressive. He has been warned and at one point even placed on probation for some of his behavior. So, what probably happend is that the track people probably got tired of talking to him about changing his behavior so they decided to suspend him. Talking to him didn't change him maybe they felt stronger punishment would. Either way Randy brought this on himself. So quit blaming everyone else and he needs to look at himself and see if there is anything he could do differently not just with this situation but the past and look to the future.

One other thing. This is to a few of the ladies who support there husband, boyfriend or other family members who may be drivers at the track. I know that as a wife it is really easy to get angry when someone else ruins your man's night at the track. I am not just speaking of this incident but it seems that every weekend There seems to be a few, a very few of you that feel it is your job to go over to other pits and yell, cuss out and even threaten to fight the person or persons you feel ruined things for your man. This is not your place to do. I understand your anger and frustration. But, either be there to support the one you love or go sit in the stands or stay home if you can't control yourself. All you are doing is making yourself look foolish. So, all you need to do is support him and let your man be a man and let him defend himself when he feels it is necessary.

Which two WOW drivers are we talking about?

I don't recall this: " A driver was suspended for one race because a wow driver deliberately cut another wow driver off and caused front end damage and the radiator busted. As the driver was working on his car he was very upset BECAUSE IT WAS DONE DILIBERATELY."

These class at SAS are getting better and better... There is alot of competition out there in WOW,Roadrunner,Sportsman and even Latemodel; although the car count is a little lower in Latemodel...

My only point here is that, Diliberately is a big accusation...

If this refers to the 00 car, I think that they should be a little more careful about throwing the word deliberate out there. Team A should have stayed out of team B's pit, if team B was directing all of these comments at a woman, then he needs to go back and learn how to talk to a female, forget about racin' just apply some common courtesy. Either way it seems that team A made a mistake in track etiquette, Team B made a mistake in just common courtesy. I don't know who these teams are, I don't know about the incident, I'm just basing this on the info as posted here.

race car drivers are race car drivers...they should be treated the same regardless of sex when in the competitive arena...females should not be "targeted" nor should they be pampered...away from the track, manners are a different deal...

LILRED,

By no means am I saying my husband is right for cussing at the track. I am saying that she should not have gone up to his pit area right after the wreck. I don't see were you say she went to help the others drivers involved they were the only two, as for letting someone else drive his car he was only trying to help the car count in the wow. Just to let you know I am not one of those wives that go up to other drivers and try to start trouble. I have not gotten into any confrontation with anyone at the track. I am there to support my husband and friends. We all saw what happened on the back straight away and I believe it was done deliberatly, she was cutting her off so she would not pass her. If you were at the races that night then you saw his car get into a wreck with another wow in the main. I know he did not say a word to the other driver, because we all know that was an accident.

Calallen,

I wasn't thinking that your driver or crew had gone to their pit. I was trying to say thet there was plenty of blame to go around apparently.

X,

I am not so liberated as you are. I'm still just a backwoods country boy at heart I guess. ;) I still think that when your in the car everyone is equal, but I would hope that outside the car, I would try to have a greater degree of respect for the fairer sex. :P

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT MONA AND CAROLINE?

If so, get real... I believe that Mona doesn't have radios, so maybe that would be why she would have moved in front of another car? Are you inferring that Mona DELIBERATELY cut off Caroline?

If so, thats like saying that Kelly purposely spun coming out of Turn#2... I no more believe that Kelly purposely spun, then I believe that these women would block each other. Caroline was the fastest car out there. It was a matter of laps before she was taking the lead.

I wish Kelly, Caroline, Mona and ALL the WOW drivers the best for the rest of the year...

One last point, last year at Octoberfast I was running on 6 cyl, so I was making laps. #5 truck was involved in a crash and had come in to pull off what was left of his body. He came out of the pits just in time to catch me coming out of Turn #4. As we came out of #4 I came down low and right in front of #5 truck, I didn't know he was there because my spotter never said anything. After getting turned back around, I asked my spotter why he didn't say anything? He said, he didn't think he would be there (on my bumper)that quick! Now who fault was it? MINE! I went up to the #5 driver after the race and apologized... Things happen...

If management thinks that a suspension is in order, then that is their call. However, a new year should start with a clean and new slate. You don't start the new season with points. The driver of the 19 may not have had a radio so that a spotter could tell her that the 00 was there, but there is a mirror in the car. She could have seen her coming, not having a radio is no excuse for a wreck, any wreck.

get off the internet- get over it-get yor cars ready-and go race.

i've been kicked out of a lot of tracks and alot of races........and i always thought" why the hell are they doing this to me "

looking back i say they were more than likely justified.even if they were'nt, i went back racing. if you wanna quit, than you did'nt need to be doing this in the 1st place..............so sale your car, join a bowling league, and do whatever it is that other people do........but GET OVER IT!

I said I wasn't going to respond to this but I could not help myself. As far as the punishment that was handed down to Randy I feel that it was a harsh one. I was very surprised when I found out he was suspended and thought probation would have been enough. I'm not taking sides but I do know Mona and her intentions were to survey the damage and to offer her car to Randy if he needed it. The complaint at hand here is the rough driving in the WOW class, I hate to be the one to bust the bubble but the only one on that track in WOW with experience would be Carolyn, the rest of us haven't had to worry about racing against someone so we are going to make mistakes. Mona & Richard are not the type of people who would deliberately go out and try to take someone out, they are doing a great job for it being their Rookie year. The mistakes being made are rookie mistakes and I can name a few drivers (including myself) who been there done that last season. I believe that if radios were used it would eliminate some errors. Last year we only had 2-3 WOW cars on the track at one time and we did not have to worry about traffic so you did not have to worry about cutting a driver off. The WOW and Roadrunner class is growing which means there is more room for driver error. I will admit that I'm not an experienced driver and my wreck in turn 1-2 with Carolyn was my mistake. I let go of the death grip I had on the steering wheel when my spotter told me there was a caution and because the a-arm took a hit in the RR heat race it caused the steering to jerk hard to the right and it did just that sending me into a spin, Thank god I had already started slowing down. I will say if that wouldn't of happen Carolyn would have gotten around me. She is a good example that you can have the fastest car with a decent driver who gets beat by the more experienced driver in a slower car. It was a matter of time before she would have whipped my butt. This is also a good example of a RR driver in the points run allowing a WOW driver to drive his car taking a chance on it coming back in one piece. I almost don't want to get back into my brothers car for this reason because he is in the top 5 in points but he along with a few othe RR drivers support the WOW class and want to help the car count. Although I don't agree with the way 00 talked to Mona or my spotter I wish things could have been handled differently for all involved. As far as having or using a mirror I blew a race last year because I used my mirror so I feel they can do more harm than good. It's all about experience and that comes with time. I hope things work out for everyone..................this is JMO

Archived