Quarter Midgets

Bobby

I remember when Wonderland Mall (Crossroads) was first opened (early sixties) - a couple of times they had kart races in front of the area that later became Handy Andy, and is now the front covered parking.

I also remember that Northwest Center would quite often host autocross events (back then they called them gymkanas).

Between the two malls was the Wilson's Phillip 66 service station which was something of a home for the Gear Grinders car club. The Wilsons had a small block Chevy Fiat Topolino, and later a SBC gas dragster. The motto they stenciled on both cars was "We Aint Afraid!".

On quarter midgets - I believe there was a track a Commanche Park.

There used to be a 1/8 mile oval quarter midget track east of I-35, north of Braker Lane in Austin, at the VFW Post. Far as I know its still there. Been a good number of years since I been there though. Its not far from me. I may try to check it out some day and update you.

The quarter midget track is still there. The land that it is on belongs use to belong to the VFW. When they first built it prior to the apartments going in they had a BMX track where the current retention pond sits now. The commanche park was always fun to drive.

papa-i got a pic of terry's 1/4 midget he drove-have to find what photo book its in here at the house-hell i'm going to dig thru all of my photo books-i know i got a pic of lake speeds last go-kart he raced-

Guest RandyBorlace

my first quarter midget was one of Terry Labonte's it was an ancient kurtis car. that was 14 years ago, no telling where that car is now, i think Lance Gaither the USRA official might have it. i never had good luck at the austin QM track, everytime i went, i either flipped, hit the wall or something broke,i hardly ever finished a race there. the comanche park track was pretty fun, and there is a track in tulsa OK, and Topeka Kansas, i recommend it for any one who has a kid 5-15 to start in on it, it was expensive back then, hate to see what it is now...

Guest RandyBorlace

we had more cash into my last car that i didnt get paid to race than i have put in 2 pure stocks, 2 street stocks, and 2 modifieds combined!!! pretty sad, but true. i'll get ahold of lance this week and see if he has it, i think it's the one my uncle gave him , i'll find out, i was supposed to help him put it together for his kids. but we never know...

We still have the quarter midget. Our boys play with it, our oldest boy has tried putting a body on it with cardboard and tires with old bike tires. But it hasn't been restored yet. They still want to race it but with other things it just hasn't happened yet.

I've still got all 3 of my Quarter Midgets... at this point I'm waiting 'till I can become famous and sell 'em for a pretty penny! :lol:

I can still remember when I was racing Bradley Reithmeyer in Senior Honda, and when Casey Smith finished 2nd in a Monza race! :D

Guest RandyBorlace

i remember my first race it was in austin, it was pretty funny, i was too afraid to lean out for about the first 1/2 year or so. i had quite a few cars, i started out with the old terry labonte car, it was a good beginner car, but it couldn't cut it in heavy stock, we built 2 or 3 cars and they seemed pretty fast, but the best car i ever bought was from josh freeman, that thing handled tight, just like i like them, and i had 3 track records in that car and nearly won the Grand Nationals in 96. last time i saw that car it was a half midget, no telling where it or any of my old cars are. it was a pretty fun time though, getting to say i raced with casey smith and bradley is pretty cool, and no one believes it half the time lol. let's hear some other people's stories.

You guys may already know this, but Charlie Swayne is the GM for the new kart track here in Austin, Iron Rock Raceway.

Anybody know what happened to Kyle Coffman? Last I heard he was crewing on a midget or sprint car, but that was a number of years ago.

The best race I've ever been in was when Jason got into a Senior or Heavy Honda and mixed it up with me for the entire race. I think we ended up lapping the field, running low 7's or high 6 second times the whole way.

last time i saw kyle and his dad was at cowtown speedway in kennedale a few years ago-kyle was racing his sprint car and dad was crewing-you 1/4 midget kids grew up on me quick-like daryn pittman,shane and darren stewart-now they are front runners in the world of outlaws-funny when you think about it-i've watched a bunch of you guys race for 20 years and now some of you are just turning 25 yrs old-makes me really feel like an old man

yep-i begining to realize that supertx-my last one just graduated from high school tonite-no more-they're on there own now-mama and me going to live it up-which i started doing about 7 months ago-hehehehe

Guest RandyBorlace

lol, I am only 19, how many of the local short track people can say they are 19 and have been racing for 14 years lol, a bunch of us can say that now. I am going to scan some pics later on if i have time, I still have people asking me just what a quarter midget is...

Archived