Johnny Doyle's midget

Budman

I've got a pretty cool midget story, but first we've still got to figure out who the driver of that 33 car is. I have no idea.

Also, would love to see some pics posted from the Houston area .......... Meyer Speedway, Big-H, Battle Ground, whatever.............. Also, Corpus, Dallas, E. Texas, W. Texas, the Valley, Waco, wherever......... let's hear from ya.

Absolutely, Bud.

Here is a repost of something I put on here after the autorama---

"Also gotta mention the V8-60 Midget engine with the Smith-Jiggler heads displayed by Johnny Doyle and Bill Jones. Very rare items, basically took the exhaust valve out of the flathead ford block, and placed it similar to an overhead valve. The interesting thing is the Intake stays in the normal place. According to Johnny, there were probably less than 100 engine sets made, and Bill Jones has most of what remains here in San Antonio. Neat piece of engineering."

I have several great pictures of this engine, to where you can see the difference from the S-J and a regular V8-60, but they are too big in pixel size to post here, and I don't have any way to resize them.

I will send them to anyone who can resize them for me and send them back.

Txtom,

e-mail me one of those pics if you want. No guarantee, but I'll give it a shot. If it works, I'll post it and you can add your comments.

There's also a number of other photos I've posted in the past on various threads. I'll repost them here at some point because a section like this is where they really belong.

• 2 years later...

This thread is a bit confusing to follow. The reason is it was part of the original thread that started this history section a couple of years back. That's right, this HISTORY SECTION started as a single thread I posted back then. It got such a positive response TXSZ management decided it should have its own section. Thanks again TXSZ. When the thread got split up when converted to the History Section, this particular thread got a bit convoluted.

Johnny passed away last fall. RIP Johnny. I watched him race on soooooo many nights. He was one of the true heros of my youth for sure!

Jakdad, here is another photo of that midget a good friend of mine recently sent me.

post-3-1190168850_thumb.jpg

Archived