Hot Rod Hill in Bryan, TX

My wife and I are moving from Corpus Christi to Bryan so I can attend Texas A&M University. As excited as I am about going to TAMU, I'm having to leave CC Motor Speedway as well :( . I know there is a huge difference b/w asphalt and dirt, but either one is better than no racing at all! TWS in College Station doesn't have a regular racing scene to go watch, so that's a bummer. I guess if all else fails I can drive out to Kyle for some racing action, or Houston. We'll just have to see! Anybody familiar with Hot Rod Hill? Lets hear from ya!

Robert

http://www.hotrodhillmotorpark.com/

Robert, I have yet to make it there myself, and you get more info going to the whowon.com forum.

I do know they noise issues similar to Thunder Hill, and I believe start quite early to be over by 10-11:00PM. The modified count has been down, but the limited modifieds(IMCA SportMods) have been having good counts. Not sure about their support classes.

Hey Robert,

On a weekly show, most of the car count has been kinda low...but still had some good racing...you should definitely check them out when the Texas Outlaw Bombers are there...they put on one heck of a show (of course, I am a little biased on that!)...they next show for them out there is 6/11....They usually also have a decent count...about 15 in the mini sprints...15 or more in the sport mods...only about 3 - 5 mods...Anyway, after you check it out, let us know what you think..

Brenda Dancer

Wife of #52 TOBA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Friday was the big move. Saturday was spent unloading the truck, and that evening was spent putting away all the dishes and what not. While my wife, mother, and mother-in-law were working in the kitchen putting stuff away, my dad, father-in-law and I stepped out the front door to get out of the way, and to have a beer (you know, to make more room in the fridge...). Our new place is just about a mile from the track! While we were sitting there out in the front, we listened to the motors winding up and then backing off! We couldn't make it over there though <_< ...stupid unpacking! Next weekend though, we'll be there! I know I can't wait! I grew up in McAllen, so I was introduced to Sat. night racing at Rio Grande Speedway; but it has been years since I've been to a dirt track! I worked at CCMS in the infield with the fire crew for a while, so I guess I'll have to get re-aquainted with the grandstand view, and seeing cars slide around the turns. I'm am so excited! :D

Our new place is just about a mile from the track! While we were sitting there out in the front, we listened to the motors winding up and then backing off!

Smokin',

You and I love that sound, but, unfortunately, not everyone else does.

I'll make you a prediction. Unless you house is the nearest one to the track, it won't be long before the local government will be getting complaints about the "noise." And once the local gov't gets invovled, it's just a matter of time before the track either institutes a dB rule or the place is shut down.

As sad as it may be, sooner or later all local race tracks that run in the evening/night and that have people living or working nearby will have to quiet down, shut down or leave town.

Nick Holt

Guest RandyBorlace

that track is already in a predicament much like THR, gotta run mufflers there, and the sprint cars can't race until they get a noise barrier up, it's just a matter of time until they make all race cars sound as quiet as the trucks we pull them with.

Their web site does state that they require mufflers on the cars, and that any car deemed too loud will not be able to run. Maybe the neighbors don't mind the noise? Damn, that'd be great! Probably won't happen, but it'd be great!

There's also a road race at TWS this weekend if you want a full afternoon/evening of racing. SCCA rolls into town for our traditional Memorial Day race, recently dubbed the Aggienapolis 500 (or some iteration thereof).

I'll be driving the pace car at least one day, too broke to race (and our series isn't running this weekend). If you want to stop by, shoot me a PM or email and I'll put you on the list! ;)

Archived