LOCAL TRACK TECH MEN?

racerboy2002

Jack Sandefur is the tech man at THR. My opinion of Jack is that he's fair and does a good job at a difficult job that most of us would not want to have. He takes a lot of verbal abuse from people at the track and always seems to conduct himself in a professional manner.

cs

racerboy2002,

SAS track manager is Mike Sepich. Jeff Martin is the SAS Chief Steward whose last race is May 31. The new SAS Chief Steward is Paul Lozano.

I am not sure who is head tech at CC Speedway, but Donnie and Carol Yokum own and operate the place.

At Thunder Hill David Mackey is the Track Manager and Jack Sandefur is the Chief Tech Inspector. Brian Callaway is the owner.

Nick Holt

I would REALLY like to throw in major kudos for Jack Sandefur at THR..

He is such a great tech man, fair and firm in enforcing the rules..and yes, he's been a major contributor to TSRS..but he is above all, a great and kind person...

In fact, he's tied for #1 on my all-time list of tech men that I've ever dealt with...the OTHER GUY worked SAS back in the mid-90s...maybe you know him--some guy named "Nick"... ;)

I HEARD STORYS ABOUT NICK STANDING ON THE TRACK WITH A WHITE MARKER BOARD AND A FLASH LIGHT TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE DRIVERS WHILE THEY WERE RACING. PEOPLE SAY THAT NICK WOULD GO OUT AS FAR AS THE WINNER CIRCLE AT SAS. NOW THATS KINDA BRAVE WITH THE DRIVERS ON THE TRACK AT FULL SPEED.

racerboy2002,

Don't know who you've been listening to because I never set foot on the track when the cars were at full speed. Not only that, I didn't use a marker board. I did use a flashlight though.

However, I used to direct the race from the front straight instead of up in the booth (although I had "eyes" up there as well as on elevated stands at both ends of the track and at both ends of pit road) so I was frequently out on the track during the warm-up laps letting the drivers know how many laps until the green or during yellows trying to get the drivers in their correct spot in the lineup since the race officials didn't have radio communication with the drivers in those days..

Nick Holt

If all these track techs are so good then why do they still want 112 in wheelbase cars for the entry level divisions? Anybody ever try to find one of these cars? I would like to build a car for THR or maybe speedorama but I can not find a ship large enough to build... every other track I have been to allows 108 in cars in the entry class. I tried to ask THR about this, his comment was thats what everyone else has... good tech...

dancer52,

Sounds to me like you didn't get your way and are mad about it. THR's Chief Tech, Jack Sandefur, is one of the best in the business.

I'm sure there are racing divisions where the rules allow 108" wheelbase cars. Why not build for one of those classes?

Nick Holt

i would like to see a semi good size field of roadrunners, but i think it will take a year just like it took thunder car a half a year and more to get at least ten cars. my step mother won the ignagural thunder car championship and then retired.

Nick, I am not mad about it.. I am currently running the TOBA series. I was thinking about running THR or another track close to home, but trying to find a car that is 112 inches is harder than it sounds. The ones I find want 500 or more for them, I have a 78 nova that is 111" and a malibu that is 108 both of these cars are allowed in every other entry level class. I think the rule is stupid all they are doing is turning people away that want to build a car for this class. I am not mad I did not get my way, there are plenty of other places to run. I am mad that some people can not listen to reason. I guess THR has all the cars they need, good luck to them...

dancer52,

Every track has rules that everyone in that class must follow. You may feel a particular rule is stupid while others might think the same rule is very wise. But just because you think the 112 inch wheelbase rule is stupid is no reason for the track to permit a car that does not mee the rules to run whether they need the cars or not.

Nick Holt

dancer52,

If THR allowed you to run your 108" car in the hobby stock class, for example, you can bet every hobby stock driver out there would not like that decision. Then, if you were faster then them, they would build 108" cars like yours, and the class would no longer be what it was intended to be.

If you didn't already have 2 cars to draw from, your expense would not be any greater to buy and prepare a 112" car over a shorter car. The impalas are a dime a dozen, so a person starting from scratch could build one of those cars just as easily as they could a 108" car. It is for this reason that I think the rules should stay the way they are.

One more thing - the current hobby stock track record at THR is around 17.30. That was set by David Snokhous (spelling), and there are some 108" street stock cars that don't turn laps that fast. My point is that those impalas can be made to be very fast for such a large car.

cs

Then tell me where you find these cars for a dime a dozen... I sure cant. All I was saying is that cars that size are getting hard to find so every year it will be harder, eventually they will have to change the rules, like every other track already has, including SAS. With a minimum weight limit the wheel base would not be an advantage. I really do not care if THR changes its rules, I will run SAS when the car is complete, since, in my opinion they understand how hard these cars are to find... I just think it would make sense for them change the rule, because they sure do not have a good car count. As for your comment about if the car wins everyone would complain, what is new about that, it is our nature to say the car that is winning has an advantage..

dancer52,

As you probably are aware, people from THR do read TSZ. Maybe they will look a little more closely into this matter as a result of your bringing it to their attention.

Nick Holt

Dancer52,

From what I hear, the Austin track will basically adopt the THR rules so people can race on Friday and Saturday without having to change their cars.

Nick Holt

They are the only close tracks, right now I travel an average of three hours to race. Besides that it is something I have never done...

Tqj3-- In my experiance the track tech guys make the rules, the owners usually cant change there own oil... I dont mean to "blame" anybody, I just think the rule is outdated...

Reading through this thread, it kinda points a finger at a problem tracks across the nation will face in the next few years--Where to find cars for these classes. Thanks to Detroit thinking, rear wheel drive cars are getting scarcer every year, and about the only long wheel base car available now is a Ford Crown Vic. Around here, the scrap yards know it, and it is gotten a little pricey to try to get a chassis with any amount of usable sheetmetal or suspension on it. Not Impossible, just pricey.

In the near future we will be looking at FWD classes, or finding a way to hang some sort of body on truck frames. It won't be cheap enough for entry level racers to convert FWD cars into RWD racers. This ain't NASCAR.

Archived