Best Engine Builder in the Truck Series

drv45n05

Who's the Best Engine Builder in the Trucks? My vote is Randy Ortigo and Ortigo Racing Engines! He builds motors for Jon Garrett and the Rose City Racing Team. Anyone who can build a motor to get Jon around the track as fast as he runs, must build a lot of Horsepower.

Who's the Best Engine Builder in the Trucks? My vote is Randy Ortigo and Ortigo Racing Engines! He builds motors for Jon Garrett and the Rose City Racing Team. Anyone who can build a motor to get Jon around the track as fast as he runs, must build a lot of Horsepower.

Andy,

I thought ALL Crate Motors in ARTS/USRA Trucks were the same!

Do you care to tell us something that you'll have been withholding? Don't get me wrong, Jon did One Hell of a great job of driving that truck Sat. night!!! I told him congrats after words. But to comment as above, you may want to rethink this one... There has been some behind the scene talk for several years as to the fairness of Jon driving, then owning the series and selling us parts. ie the Quick Fuel 500(????) cfm carbs that we had to buy... :blink: I believe we were told "They will ALL be flowed and will ALL make between 495-505 cfm!"

You and I have only spoken a few times and I'm not trying to start a war. But to say that "your" motor builder is building a better motor? Hummm... I would have settled for Mr Garrett(Mike) put one Hell of a tune on the truck Sat. night.

Please help me to clear up my confusion...

Mark

P.S. Did Ortigo build my 305?

Mark,

First of all I don't run a CRATE engine. And yes all the CRATE engines are all fairly close.

I run a 305. And if you think I've been cheating all these years that I managed the series and raced in it. Then come say that to my face. With running the series, and racing, I had to be more legal than anyone else. You can tech my truck from top to bottom and not find anything illegal on it. You race once a year and expect to be competitive. PLEASE.

We've put lots of dollars and hours into researching the 305's and getting every LEGAL hp out of them that we could. MRE has done the same thing, and you can tell that we are both about the same.

The CRATE motor is the cheap simple way to get to the same point that both of these teams are at now. That's why we introduced in. I don't run one because of the simple fact that ignorant people like you would think that I would break the seals and fix the engine to my advantage and reseal it. Ask anyone that bought a CRATE engine from me, they all come the same. I've been in the 52,28,21,29,77,8, and they all run fast.

As far as carbs, the majority of them were dropshipped to customers, I never touched them, just like the camshafts. If other people in this area woulda stepped up and done something when this thing folded, a few years ago, I wouldn't have had to do all the things that you listed.

It's woulda been hard for me to cheat you anyway, you never show up, and when you do show up, the truck you help never makes it to the track!

P.S. - AS FAR AS THE SETUP ON THE 66 TRUCK - I MAKE THE CHASSIS SETUP DECISIONS.

ALSO - NO ORTIGO DID NOT BUILD THAT MOTOR YOU BOUGHT, THATS A JASPER SPECIAL!

ORTIGO ENGINES ARE MUCH MORE THAN THAT PIECE!

Hey Mark,

If that did not clear you up on your questions and concerns you are welcome to contact me at any time and I will try to make it crystal clear for you.

Mike Garrett

903-581-0770 office

903-571-0673 cell

mgarrett@cox-internet.com (email)

I understand what Mike means. If the 66 was cheating it would have ruined the series. I think and thought they were straight as could be. The 66 and 30 were fast Saturday and they always were. Both legal. Niether of them controls tech. Both were and are consistantly the two best drivers in the series. Just look at the wins. At least McLemore decided to go pick on people his own size and Colt decided to go mix it up with the NC hillbillys! My crate motor was very fast when I got it. Mike and Mark, I think this is just a honest misunderstanding.

Just to back up the Garretts..Jon Denham and I borrowed a motor from the 66 team two years ago..it ran very well..but you didn't see us run away and hide with it...it was the same motor he ran last year until it broke the night he burned his leg...and we won three race's set several pole's that year with our own("BUDA") motor..

My point is the Garrett's have got there s... together..jmo

Mark,

First of all I don't run a CRATE engine.  And yes all the CRATE engines are all fairly close.

I run a 305.  And if you think I've been cheating all these years that I managed the series and raced in it.  Then come say that to my face.  With running the series, and racing, I had to be more legal than anyone else.  You can tech my truck from top to bottom and not find anything illegal on it.  You race once a year and expect to be competitive.  PLEASE.

We've put lots of dollars and hours into researching the 305's and getting every LEGAL hp out of them that we could. MRE has done the same thing, and you can tell that we are both about the same.

The CRATE motor is the cheap simple way to get to the same point that both of these teams are at now. That's why we introduced in.  I don't run one because of the simple fact that ignorant people like you would think that I would break the seals and fix the engine to my advantage and reseal it.  Ask anyone that bought a CRATE engine from me, they all come the same. I've been in the 52,28,21,29,77,8, and they all run fast.

As far as carbs, the majority of them were dropshipped to customers, I never touched them, just like the camshafts.  If other people in this area woulda stepped up and done something when this thing folded, a few years ago, I wouldn't have had to do all the things that you listed.  

It's woulda been hard for me to cheat you anyway, you never show up, and when you do show up, the truck you help never makes it to the track!

P.S. - AS FAR AS THE SETUP ON THE 66 TRUCK - I MAKE THE CHASSIS SETUP DECISIONS.

ALSO - NO ORTIGO DID NOT BUILD THAT MOTOR YOU BOUGHT, THATS A JASPER SPECIAL!

ORTIGO ENGINES ARE MUCH MORE THAN THAT PIECE!

Let me start off by apologizing to Jon, Mike, Andy and the rest of Team 66. When I picked up my motor at Jon's dads house, I thought I understood his dad to say that They ran the Crate Motor. I also thought that he said that Jasper had sent them a Crate motor to try out. I'm assuming as a possible alternative to the GM motors. Now to bring this up to speed, when Andy said that Ortigo was building there motors, I thought maybe Jon was trying a New Crate motor and they hadn't said anything to anybody.

My bad in ALL this and sorry to have gotten ALL this started.

Jon, we did finish second in points last year in the Sportman Series here in S.A.

LL, you sayin ya would like to see the 66 and 30 move up or out...lol......They are fast, I dont want to see them go. Those are the guys you want to catch up to and run with, along with a few others. I personnally want to see Jon at every race, I want to catch him and then beat him, isnt that what we race for. LL DONT GET THE BIG HEAD, but from the first of last year to the end of last year you improved 10 fold. Without speeding on pit road(fast pit road time) you would of finished in the top 15........lol.........For the ones who think Jon is cheating, blow it.......Jon is going to race he's going to be up front and if you cant handle it or dig deeper to catch him, buy a PS2 set your ass in your recliner and play your little game..........

There has been some behind the scene talk for several years as to the fairness of Jon driving, then owning the series and selling us parts. ie the Quick Fuel 500(????) cfm carbs that we had to buy...  I believe we were told "They will ALL be flowed and will ALL make between 495-505 cfm!"

This statement has nothing to do with mistaken what motor I ran. And don't you think that I if I switched to a crate motor that I would inform the series officials. Face it, you think I abused my powers when I had them. Well, for that, KMA.

it's humorous how 6 months ago everybody stuck behind the man(or said they would)....he gave us places to run-gave us purses,when nobody else was...if nobody had the balls to question it then, then why start now...he's one of 21 trucks (on average)that you need to try and beat every race now...and that's because he kept giving cpr until the emt's showed up...so instead of bashing him-just race him-and respect him.....he respected you guys long enough to deserve that...

ps- i understand kiss racing misundertood , this is meant for the situation of any more misunderstandings...

My apology stands...

I checked with the guy who went with me to pick up "THE PIECE" as Jon calls it. He agree that he understood Jon's dad to say they were running a Crate motor. He also agreed that there was a Jasper Crate Motor sitting on a floor stand. Which he understood was to possibly be tried as an alternative. This part has nothing to do with the motor, but when we had problems for four races with the 904 trans in Pancho's truck, we asked for months for an alternative; like maybe the 727. We were told NO! Then several months later John Fileder(sp?) was allowed to run the 727. Now to catch back up with the motor situation. Is it not true that several(number?) people have blown GM Crates??? Again I thought that when Andy mentioned Ortigo, I thought maybe you'll had found someone else to build a "Crate" Style motor. Crate being a general term where all things are to be equal. Those the motor in the Spec. series in Calfornia.

Jon as far as the Quick Fuels Carb. We were forced to run one and buy it from The ARTS partsman. That at the time was you. I asked on numerous occasions if it was manditory to buy it from you and was told yes. It was and is my understanding that many people had issues with their Quick Fuel Carb. This came from Pam, who had heard from these people. We were told at the time that these carbs were all teched by Kurt and "marked" in some way. Your saying they were drop shipped from Quick Fuels? Are we still bound to having to run the Quick Fuel 500 cfm Holley? Is everyone running one?

I realize alot has changed and Jon is no longer the owner of ARTS Lonestar region. I too have said that Jon has done one Hell of a job driver and owning the series.

Mark,

One more time, if you will call me and quit playing internet games, I will make all this very clear to you. I am not asking you to call to get your a__ eat out. I think several people have already done that for me. If anyone has any question about what we do and how we do it, please call at any time. We have no secrets. We just work at what we do. I was told by Terry Brooks one time that everyone in this and any series cheats to a degree. My response was " well we don't and if you can find so much as an illegal bolt on my truck I have $1000 for you". This offer still stands.

I have found over the years that the backmarkers always call the frontrunners "cheaters". That is true in every series that exists in the racing world. If you ever win a race Mark, then you will be a cheater as well.

Thanks to all for your comments and support.

Mike Garrett

Archived