Best Engine Builder in the Truck Series

drv45n05

This thread is already off corse so Ill throw this question out there. What is the advantage or disadvantage of running a create motor over a custom built one? Is it $$$? Or is it just the weight break? And what are you allowed to due to a create motor? Im not trying to stir up anything. Im just curious? Thanx :blink:

Money is an advantage to running a Crate motor. Instant HP at about half the price. Everything is sealed by the manufacturer and it does state a specific RPM limit. I don't know if some were overreving the Crate engines or what when they had problems, but if you don't abuse the engine and run it without overreving it, it should run really good. The 305's take alot of R&D to get them to run as fast as Jon and Bryan's motors do. MRE and Rose City Racing have been in the Truck Series the longest and have worked very hard to get where they are. Both Teams motors are legal and have dominated the class on the Regional, Divisional, and National Levels with multiple Championships to their credit. If I was starting out and wanted to learn everything I could about the Truck class, I would talk to either one if these teams and find out what I had to do as far as set-ups and engine tuning. If you really get down to it, it takes 3 things to win a race:

1) A Good Driver who can Communicate to the Crew what needs to be done.

2) A Good Set-Up to make the vehicle turn in the middle.(See no.1)

3) A Good Motor to get it down the straightaways and pull up out of the turn. (See no. 2)

Without all 3 of these things, your chances are pretty slim that you will ever win a race. It does take alot of Luck also.

I don't know if Nick would agree or not, but I think adequate horsepower on a short track is needed, but it's more important to get the setup right so you can get the power to the pavement and get off the corners.

By the way, the truck points leader runs a crate motor...

All the motor in the world dont do any good if the truck isnt set up right or if the driver dosent have the skill or hardware to drive it to the front. My 2nd place points finish for last season proves this . my motor was less than powerfull and i made it to the front most nites.

kiss racing think you better worry about what wins races. work on your chasiss thats what wins a good motor helps but ya gotta go an turn left a few times an who turns better will be the victor. i know of one truck out there has the worst motor out there an runs up front most of the time good luck in your racing career come by the 5 truck an ask for steve would like to talk to ya go fast turn left then stand on the brakes so you wont run over the many that cant seem to get thru the corners

I don't know if Nick would agree or not, but I think adequate horsepower on a short track is needed, but it's more important to get the setup right so you can get the power to the pavement and get off the corners.

By the way, the truck points leader runs a crate motor...

Not so much off the corners as through the corners.

But, yes. If the car is handling right you don't need tons of cubic horsebucks.

How the car enters the turn and, expecially, how much g-force it can generate in the center of the turn are far more important to get right than just about anything else in racing. If the car is good on turn entry and especially good through the middle of the turn, we can adjust for bite coming off the turn.

Nick Holt

Archived